TV advert: AskAMason.com; is this a member call?

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
So the website sells accessories: askamason.com...

Is there such a market for proto-conspiracy marketing that I need to see this on the Syfy channel?

Lemme look for the video.....no video of commercial. Odd, I thought?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Damn, I don't believe in God, so I can't rule the world?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
One of the commercials is on youtube now, although it is not the one that I saw.
Here is the link.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Yeah. Way to go Masons!

Take over the world with an army in monogrammed hoodies and caps!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I always understood masons were not able to recruit.

Unless this is not technically recruiting. Recently I have seen a certain motivation to get rid of the stereotypes associated with masonry.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

www.freemason.org...
How to become a Mason

Membership is open to men age 18 and older who believe in a Supreme Being and meet the qualifications and standards. Men of all ethnic and religious backgrounds are welcome.

One of Masonry's traditions is that we do not solicit members. Men must seek membership on their own initiative. When you're ready to join, you can complete the request for information form and someone will contact you regarding membership. Or you can follow the steps below:

1] First, use the lodge locator (at right) to select the lodge to which you wish to apply. This lodge may be close to your work or home, whichever is most convenient. Contact the lodge you choose to schedule a visit during an event, at which time you can request a membership information packet.

2] When you have completed the application form included in the packet, it must be signed by two Masons who recommend you for membership. You will have met some Masons at the lodge event. You can also contact the lodge secretary for assistance.

3] Return your application and the specified application payment. The lodge will schedule visits in your home with selected lodge members to discuss your application and to answer your questions. Your application will be voted upon at the next lodge meeting.

4] You will be notified of your acceptance as a candidate for the degrees, and you will receive instructions about the three degree ceremonies. The degrees explain Freemasonry and give you the opportunity to experience the lodge's traditions and fellowship. When you complete all three degrees, you become a full member.

One of Masonry's traditions is that we do not solicit members.

That's funny, from the youtube video it sort does look like, their breaking the #1 rule.

Men must seek membership on their own initiative.

How sexist.. Why are women excluded?

edit on 12-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Not a recruitment film. Sorry we do not recruit. This is an American publication I guess. I think it is more propaganda than recruiting. As for the website, there are hundreds of websites selling Masonic trinkets and stuff. Of course, I suppose non-Masons are free to buy them, although I cannot imagine why.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
That would be odd if non-masons bought this stuff, weird kinda.

I don't really know about masons, but I thought I heard they don't recruit (thanks, guys)..... especially with a decent advertising spot on Syfy channel. The marketing seemed off.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Maybe the higher degrees had a secret meeting without the lower degrees and decided that in these economic hard times they needed to generate some way of obtaining more dues?
They just had to add that one little technicality where it's your responsibility to come a knockin'.

Edit to Add: I wonder how the current masons feel about their dues being used for commercials and products instead of cancer treatments and other such community services?
edit on 12-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Your edit poses a valid question. At regular Masonic meetings, we pass a Charity plate around, were each member is expected to give as much as he can afford. This money goes into a seperate charity account and cannot be used for anything else. The dues that we pay are at the disposal of the Worshipful Master, although before a significant amount can be spent, it is usually put to the vote.

This video has been produced by one Lodge and I guess that it was voted by the members to allow production. Goodness, I wish out Lodge was rich enough to make a vid.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Thanks for sharing my curiosity.
To be honest, I'm surprised that no Masons have offered their opinions. If I were part of a charitable organization, I'd be rather hot under the collar about this. Especially since most Masons will tell you that they do the charitable work and expect no recognition. How are they comfortable with this money being used to advertise their services? It seems to cheapen it. If the commercial was for the Shriners' Hospitals and all the children they've helped while calling for donations, I wouldn't feel the same way. I guess since you never see fraternities advertising, it makes it seem extra strange.

Then again, I never thought I'd see the day when drugs were advertised on TV, but now it's commonplace.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

That was an answer to your question as I am a Mason.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

I'm sorry, but I didn't see where you stated that you approved or disappoved. The only opinion I read was where you stated that you wished your lodge was rich enough to pay for a video.
I took this to be sarcasm. Did I read you wrong?

If the usage of significant amounts are voted on, should I safely assume that the lodge voted on all of this prior to the video and products being manufactured?

Just so you know, I was hoping to see more than just you commenting since usually at least two or three show and offer their opinions. Maybe this is one of those instances where silence speaks louder than words.

new topics
top topics

join