It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand company to turn waste gasses into jet fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I almost posted this in alternative news - but it's really just science & synthetic fuels are not new, and I'm sure chemtrail believers will want to know about it - Lanzatech causing jet fuel sensation

New Zealand's LanzaTech has struck a deal with Virgin Atlantic to provide the world's first low carbon jet fuel.

The Auckland-based firm said it has created a breakthrough in aviation fuel technology that would see waste gases from industrial steel production being captured, fermented and chemically concerted into jet fuel.

"The revolutionary fuel production process recycles waste gases that would otherwise be burnt into the atmosphere as carbon dioxide," Virgin Atlantic said.

At first I had to do a double take - wtf is "low carbon jet fuel"?? since of course all jet fuel is hydrocarbon...and if you take the carbon out then you no longer have jet-fuel - you have hydrogen...which has been used as jet fuel.......but I didn't think that was what they meant!! :lol

Of course from the above it's jsut using carbon that would otherwise be released to the atmosphere as exhaust from a steel plant.......making it into fuel...and then releasing it into the atmosphere as exhaust from a jet!

i guess the point is that it isn't using hydrocarbons dug out of the goorund - it is carbon that already exists in het troposhere rather than introducing "new" carbon.

so what will be the effect on contrails and presumably chemtrails??

nothing at all of course - the fuel will be chemically the same as existing fuel - but somehow I think that's not going to be reassuring to true believers!

edit on 11-10-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Sounds like a pretty good deal on the surface so I'm just going to offer caution because:

sciblogs.co.nz...

with a quote from that story:

Co-founder and chief scientists Dr Sean Simpson spent two years developing a microbe that eats carbon monoxide and can generate energy by eating carbon derived from flue gas alone.The Lanzatech team sequenced the microbe’s genome, figured out its energy converting abilities and discovered that the microbe was incredibly immune to contaminants contained in flue gas emissions.

and the definition of microbe:

www.biology-online.org...

A microscopic living organism, such as a bacterium, fungus, protozoan or virus.

Good topic - hope it all works out.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Bumping an old thread due to someone who is no longer with us having raised the subject in a thread that seems to have been removed.....so perhaps others would like to discuss this again/more.

join