It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What makes us different?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I’m curious fellow ATS’ers…What makes you care? What is it that gives you emotions in regards to the world around us?

I ask myself this often, in hopes of finding an answer, yet when I feel as if I’m on the cusp of discovery, words elude me.
Many of us that frequent this website are curious…about people, cultures, thoughts, dreams, society, the future, past…and everything in between. We like to debate, we like to defend or promote our ideas with zeal, and we also accept the opinions and views of others.

We show contempt.
We show passion.
We show hatred.
We show adoration.
Often we show despair…often frustration. Sometimes even joy.

Fortunately, we are not emotionless automatons going about our days in a fog of ignorance. All because we care.

But why?

I don’t know.

Helen Keller said:
“Science may have found a cure for most evils; but it has found no remedy for the worst of them all - the apathy of human beings.”

Do you agree with this? I know I do. Apathy is a killer. No one cares about anything anymore, unless it directly involves them and their personal well being, or makes them "cool". (Of course, it goes a little deeper than that, but you get the idea, I'm sure)

So again, I ask; Why are many of us here immune, and if not immune, at least less susceptible to the apathy that seems to be sweeping society?

What makes you care?

I’d like to hear your thoughts on this. I know some of you can eloquently put it into words that I can’t.
I anxiously await your thoughts.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ah well, there seems to be a great deal of apathy towards my thread as well!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok then, well, if no one can answer why they are the way the are, does anyone care to speculate as to when this major increase in apathy, at least in America, started? What caused it?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The emotions that bind our minds is something I personally have spent a great deal of effort to discard. I feel less pity, sadness, outrage etc at the clamity of the whole human race than I did ten years ago. I have begun to view it all as mild amusement than anything else.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thanks for your participation Tindalos.
Now, out of curiosity, and of course you don’t have to answer, but how old are you?
How did you discard your emotions? Why?
Do you just not care? I ask that not in a snide way, but with real interest.
What do you concern yourself with?

Again, not to be taken as rude.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Many of us that frequent this website are curious…about people, cultures, thoughts, dreams, society, the future, past…and everything in between. We like to debate, we like to defend or promote our ideas with zeal, and we also accept the opinions and views of others.
We show contempt.
We show passion.
We show hatred.
We show adoration.
Often we show despair…often frustration. Sometimes even joy.

What makes you care?

I fit the curiosity description; but, not most of the rest of it.

I HATE debate, I don't defend my ideas (you can take it or leave it ... not my loss - I'm not a control freak), I don't promote my ideas (in fact, most aren't ever addressed), and I certainly don't accept the opinions and views of others without double-checking (though I admit I'm not the world's best web searcher.)

I don't show contempt, passion, hatred, adoration, despair, frustration nor joy though I certainly have these qualities to varying degrees.

But I do CARE, TOO much.

Remember the Indonesion earthquake and tsunami that killed tens (or hundreds?) of thousands? I told my spouse about it and the reply was, "I don't care." That wasn't the first or last time either.

So, why do I Care? I have no idea ... some people are born caring about others and then some others are born caring only about themselves.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Are people apathetic, or are they comfortable? I think people are generally comfortable. For example, when people rant and rave about the turn-out at elections being “low” what they fail to realise is that people are just OK, thanks very much.

The evidence is that if people are narked, then they will get off their bums and vote. If people are motivated by a cause then there can be significant public mobilisation.

I know it is customary for people on these Boards to rant and rave at what they may classify – usually in a patronising and smug way - as the “apathetic”, “brain washed” and “misguided” masses, but I don’t think they are. I think most people are just comfortable.

Regards

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thank you Trexter.

Your example reminds me...

It seems we used to be a society who liked to wonder why? And feel sympathy.

But now it's "Who cares?"

So I ask, why?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Thank you for your time, paraphi.

I agree with you to a point friend, and I'm not attempting to be smug in my line of questioning at all. Just through my observations, it does seem to be apathy at work...along with people being comfortable.

But my question is from what you said:

"The evidence is that if people are narked, then they will get off their bums and vote. If people are motivated by a cause then there can be significant public mobilisation."

Is that would should spurn action? When a persons comfort levels are imposed upon?

And it's not even action I'm concerned about per se, but caring.

Is it wrong for me to wish more people would care?

Of is it an insignificant character flaw on my behalf?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

"Who cares?"
So I ask, why?

I don't know why; but, my own personal belief is that people are BORN one way or the other. Recent DNA research seems to be headed down the same path; though, not on this specific question.

People I've known since they were born, haven't changed.

One person who does care about others has done some very naughty things in life; but, the reasoning all pointed back to the caringness. (He burglarized a home, stole a microwave so that he could pay the rent for a handicapped girl he was dating who was about to be evicted onto the street with a baby from a previous marraige and one leg.)

One person who doesn't give a hoot about others has done good things for others. Perhaps it's a way to give credence to the false face she projects.

So, if you try to say good people or evil people ... it just doesn't work that way. Good on the inside can be naughty on the outside and visa versa. You get the real picture over a very long period of time; listening to what they say, how they say it. What drives them?

Sometimes caring people are naughty to make themselves look badarze for self-protection. Obviously, they'd never be naughty in a way that harmed another person.

Why do some people care and others don't? I don't know the answer for sure. My opinion is they are born that way and DNA genetic research will find it someday.
edit on 12/10/2011 by Trexter Ziam because: fix s-d typo

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Again thank you.

As for the fellow in your post who stole a microwave...He cares, thats what I'm looking for. Are his methods the norm? Maybe not, but dammit he cares.

Where has that gone?

But can people not change? Do you believe that, if someone is, lets say, born bad, they will remain bad?

You do bring up many interesting points in regard to DNA, etc... It is something I am very much looking forward to reading on.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   

But can people not change? Do you believe that, if someone is, lets say, born bad, they will remain bad?

Yes, people can and do change but ONLY if they decide to do so. If society pressures them to change and they don't want to change; they just present a false face to shut them up.

Yes, born uncaring will remain uncaring unless they decide on their own that they want to change ... and even then it would be a tough, uphill battle. It's like a handicap.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
If society pressures them to change and they don't want to change; they just present a false face to shut them up.

So...with that said, and in regards to what I've been saying.

Do you think its possible that people DO care about stuff, but perhaps society pressures them not to give a hoot?

Sorry if this is confusing!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
If society pressures them to change and they don't want to change; they just present a false face to shut them up.

Do you think its possible that people DO care about stuff, but perhaps society pressures them not to give a hoot?

No, I've never seen anybody pressure another person to NOT care. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I'm sure it has happened to somebody or bodies plural, somewhere, sometime. But, in my experience I have never seen it happen.

Nor visa-versa. (I figure that was your next question; beat you to it!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Hmmm...Perhaps you misundertood my last ramblings about society pressuring. What I mean is, have we created a culture of indifference? One which maybe does not directly promotes not caring, but sure as hell lets it happen? I mean, society maybe doesn't pressure us to not care, but it sure doesn't implore to do otherwise you know?

What I meant was our indifferent culture actively promtes indifference.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Perhaps you misundertood

Actually, I understood it well and it's the opposite of the inherited genetically idea I had. That's the old genetic vs. environment dicotomy.

BUT

I DID think of something that supports your position (not mine) since my last post a few mintues ago.

The T-Party ... or more specifically a Republican congressman of my district who purports to be T-Party has openly spoke AGAINST government entitlements to the poor and handicapped. His position is the rich should keep their wealth and close their hearts on the disadvantaged.

He's on the Ways and Means Committee as well!

Now these disadvantaged old people he wants to stop giving HIS riches to are people who worked for the companies all their lives, paid INTO social security, medicaire and medicaid deductions on their paychecks ... and companies refuse to hire these "old" people now. They worked and MADE the rich, Rich. Many can't work now; but, those that can are not being allowed to get a job because of their age and how it affects the Obamacare insurance prices to companies etc.

So, there is one CURRENT proof on your side of this discussion.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Thanks for your participation Tindalos.
Now, out of curiosity, and of course you don’t have to answer, but how old are you?
How did you discard your emotions? Why?
Do you just not care? I ask that not in a snide way, but with real interest.
What do you concern yourself with?

Again, not to be taken as rude.

I have past my 34th birthday and it was some 8 or ten years I began to evolve my emotional mindset mainly to avoid manipulation but also because part of what I do in terms of occultic study and practice which has allowed me to view the world around me as if I was studying an experiment, observing and making notes and so forth. I still have a little emotion swirling around in drops here and their, I am still human born afterall and tainted by childhood conditioning concepts of love and compassion which I bury away, not out of fear.

I mainly concern myself with resurrecting and bringing forth the gods and goddesses of secrective and not so secretive cults within myself and others who follow the Left Hand Path. I can still enjoy things but I recognize it mostly as sensory input and form no lasting emotion attchment to it as such, it is fleeting and bizarre.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Thanks for that example and for the lively discussion so far. I've enjoyed it!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

Science didn't find the cure for apathy because they were too apathetic to find it.

It was found, by a non-scientist who was one of the least apathetic people I have ever heard of.

He is such an unusual person that the apathy-creators of the planet, using their media machine and a bunch of lies and half-truths, have reduced him to a half-crazed con man.

So if I told you who found a cure for apathy, you wouldn't even believe me. Or is that being too apathetic? Have they successfully messed with me, too? Could be.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by l_e_cox

Who you talkin' about? Jesus?

new topics

top topics

join