It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43,381 Viruses Found in Sewage, Many Unknown to Scientists.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sewage samples obtained by scientists in Pittsburgh, Barcelona and Addis Ababa were found to contain 43,381 viruses — of which only 3,000 are currently charted by mainstream scientists.

Credit : Anthony Gucciardi

Read the full article here

The findings of the study : Raw Sewage Harbors Diverse Viral Populations

Sewers, the perfect petri dish for viruses. Imagine how many differents chemicals, organics and every kind of everythings imaginable ends up in the sewer.

Im not so surprised about their findings, are you ?

I think this is a real problem that need to be fixed in some ways, this is a pandemic time bomb and im not trying to be fearmonging

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
You know how they say that the rain forests are essentially a cornucopia of organisms with nearly unlimited diversity?

Well it appears the local sewer system is as well.

But then again, we can go down to the deepest trenches and find this type of diversity as well.
Or even on our own bodies.

Just about anywhere you look on Earth you will find incredible amounts of life, even in the worst possible conditions imaginable.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Lord of heavens, who knows what could happen if just a few hundred of those bad boys decided to crawl up and infect just a dozen people. It could end up worse than the spanish influenza.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Celestica

As of right now, scientists report that over 80% of these viruses lurking in the sewage are not yet capable of infecting humans nor similar complex organisms made up of complicated cells. Problems arise, however, as these viruses are given the proper environment for mutation to occur

As of right now its not so bad, but it could be in the future. Thats why i suggest they fix it right now in some way.

But sadly i smell the horrible scent of money lurking around, I already hear the CEO of big pharma

" That's great dude, that's 43 000 new potential vaccines to sell "

You know...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I wonder if I can get plagues covered on my flood insurance?

This is frightening, Op. It would be interesting to see which ones they award names to and label as deadly.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

Sewers, the perfect petri dish for viruses.

lol. Uh huh. .....Full of excreted medications, agricultural runoff, chemicals, gawdknows what.

Ya gotta laugh.

.....on the subject of microbiomes mentioned a few threads up by muzzleflash, has anyone heard anything about the atmospheric biome project? The one where the goal was to create a kind of biomic map of our skies?

S&F&

edit on 11/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I've worked in the wastewater industry for almost 20 years now and I'm still around. After treatment, the effluent is perfectly clear and disinfected. No worries mates. Off topic: anyone heard of the movie C.H.U.D.?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

I beleive you when you said its safe AFTER treatment but they talk about the stuff before he reach the treatment plant, what is in the pipe laying there forever never treated.

I saw C.H.U.D , lol, good old 1984 era, ( Cannibalistics Humanoids Underground Dwellers ! )

have you seen the sequel : C.H.U.D. II - Bud the Chud ! --> IMDB Link
edit on 11/10/2011 by B3lz3buth because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join