It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Tanks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
There is an ad for a game called World of Tanks. I have no problem with ad's or the look of this ad, but this one makes noise.

I will often be in another tab, doing something else (sometimes in a place where im supposed to be quiet) and then suddenly the world of tanks ad will start playing, with the volume forcing me to come back to this page to either close to ad, or close the tab altogether.

Any way to get that ad replaced with something else, that doesn't play sound?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by razor787

I personally have massive issues with the drop down ads, rollover ads, and ads that play sound, because the computers I have access to are all low spec, and get confused when asked to perform certain functions in combination. For instance, I can have several tabs open just fine, but if one of them is running video with sound, and an ad kicks off giving off sound, the machines I have access to will freeze up for about ten minuites. That can be fustrating and off putting.

In general, I think its bad policy to allow this type of ad on a website which aims to pervert and subvert the terrifying grip of ignorance, which I believe includes things like mass markets, advertising brain washing, and so on. However, if we are going to have ads, can we please have the least obtrusive , and least attention grabbing ones that the site can get away with?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Second that. I'd rather have 10 soundless ads littered all over the page than 1 with sound. The World of Tanks ad has startled me many times. All ads with sound have that effect on me - I'm just not expecting my computer to make sound out of the blue - and it's particularly annoying when having 10+ ATS tabs open - but to boot, the sound of this ad is loud. Makes me a sad banana..

Had this post open for a while, forgot about it.. Then a World of Tanks ad shook me awake. Right. I'm posting this..

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
If you are using Google Chrome, AdBlock works really well.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Simple solution...mute your browser and you can still let other sounds run

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
All adds that have sound make any website's credibility go down the toilette.

GRRRR!!! It plays a freaking loop of sound, forever!
edit on 12-10-2011 by BIGPoJo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Walkers

I'm no stranger with such practices, NoScript on FireFox does the job as well - but as strange as it may seem, I'm actually following the T&C (which states not to do so). Also, I'm sure SO appreciates our feedback: ignoring the problem = not attempting to solve it. Thanks for the suggestion though.

reply to post by BlackPoison94

Not a particularly bad idea, but take this example: I was reading an ATS thread with an embedded YouTube video. The audio of the video itself was too low, so I had to turn up my system's volume. After watching the video, I continued reading the thread - forgetting to lower the volume again. Of course, the timing was just right for another WoT ad.. So that's what came up, on - of course - one of the other tabs.

Yes, I should've just remembered to durn down the volume - but what if the ad started playing during the video? And besides that - of course we can find solutions to this particular problem (while adhering to the T&C). I could
- have just 1 ATS tab open at all times
- watch videos in one browser with audio enabled, and browse ATS in another browser
- have the browser's audio disabled and download videos & playing them manually instead of in the browser
- disable the browser's audio and just not watch videos at all
etc. But then again.. would it really make sense to let an ad change our ATS / browsing / computing experience? I contend that it does not!
My apologies for such a sincere reaction to what probably was intended to be humorous
- just thought there were some valid thoughts applicable to the rhetorical suggestion.

reply to post by BIGPoJo

As suggested by octotom on the Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist) thread, you can disable the sound of the ad by clicking the speaker icon in the lower right corner. Alternatively, you could take the chance of refreshing the page and getting a different ad ;]. The ad doesn't remember the speaker setting though, so you'd have to click it each time. Spaghettios.

top topics

join