It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vitamins Tied to Higher Death Rates in Older Women in Study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Vitamins Tied to Higher Death Rates in Older Women in Study

www.businessweek.com

Oct. 10 (Bloomberg) -- Multivitamins and some dietary supplements, used regularly by an estimated 234 million U.S. adults, may do more harm than good, according to a study that tied their use to higher death rates among older women.

The use of multivitamins was associated with a 2.4 percent increased risk of death, according to the study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Calcium wasn’t associated with the danger and had a favorable effect on mortality, the authors found.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
article s.mercola.com
[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2047621/Vitamin-pills-supplements-taken-millions-women-harm-good.html?ITO=1490]www.dailymail.co.uk[/u rl]

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I was watching CNN this morning and heard this news story. The above snippet is actually from another source, but this story is being covered by many media sources today. I've read for years that the FDA is cracking down on the entire supplement industry incrementally.

Just thought it was very suspicious that the news media is making a new push to the general public to start questioning vitamin safety. Anyone know of anyone that has died or gotten sick from taking vitamins?
IF the FDA continues on this path, they will have all vitamins banned and you will need a prescription for your fish oil, calcium, multivitamin.

I say, Don't believe this news. I tried to find the actual studies quoted in the article, could'nt find them. Actually the article sites a couple of studies, blending the data into one consensus! Basically, according to this and several similar articles, some scientists tracked 39000 older women that took vitamins for 20 years. A small percentage died over the 20 years. That's it. This is their proof that vitamins are bad? Were these women in good health? How did they eat? How consistent were they with their vitamins? Were they on other medications? Who paid for these studies?

What do you think? Should vitamins and supplements be regulated by the FDA? Would you be ok with needing a prescription for vitamins, since it is a forseeable scenario?

I also ask you, should we just stand by and tolerate the media being pushers for specific agendas? That is what really got me here the most. A blatent angle on this subject from the media, without regard for thorough research, at a minimum, and blatent manipulation of the public the larger possibilty.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This story is already up, I'm afraid:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I hope you change your title so it doesn't sound like you support this propaganda.

"More Propaganda About Vitamins hits CNN"

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Dietary Supplements and Mortality Rate in Older Women

The Iowa Women's Health Study

Jaakko Mursu, PhD; Kim Robien, PhD; Lisa J. Harnack, DrPH, MPH; Kyong Park, PhD; David R. Jacobs Jr, PhD

Arch Intern Med. 2011;171(18):1625-1633. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2011.445

archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/171/18/1625

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
bull effin #...

i HATE msm.... wow..

tools..

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception
This story is already up, I'm afraid:

www.abovetopsecret.com...