It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Alert Issued In El Hierro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Spain’s Instituto Geográfico Nacional (IGN) confirmed on Tuesday that an underwater eruption has occurred five kilomtres off the southern coastline of El Hierro, the smallest of the Canary Island. The eruption is Spain’s first since the eruption in 1971 of the Teneguía volcano on the island of La Palma (Canary Islands).

www.irishweatheronline.com...

It looks like the Canary Island Government has ordered to evacuate population of "la Restinga" today at 14:00h GMT because it`s very possible that the underwater eruption gets closer to the coast in the next few hours.

www.foxnews.com...

TSUNAMI on the Atlantic Ocean soon ???

edit on 11-10-2011 by AQ6666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by AQ6666

Incredibly unlikely..........................

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atzil321
reply to post by AQ6666

Incredibly unlikely..........................

Despite evidence to the contrary?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by warpcrafter

What evidence please? A link would be good. Submarine volcanic eruptions don't tend to cause tsunami

Peace

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

True, unless the whole system is waking up and brings the mountain down into the sea.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
An eruption strong enough to dislodge the shelf at La Palma is unlikely. Historically, the eruptions and general capacity for that region does not lend to such large force.

The theory about the mega-tsunami is weakly constructed. Modeling used to come up with the theory in 2000 made assumptions that were greatly exaggerated. If a volcano at La Palma erupts, it will have to be much stronger than the 7 eruptions before it:
* 1470-1492 Montaña Quemada
* 1585 Tajuya near El Paso
* 1646 Volcán San Martin
* 1677 Volcán San Antonio
* 1712 El Charco
* 1949 Volcán San Juan, Duraznero, Hoyo Negro
* 1971 Volcán Teneguía

Since I live on the east coast, I have read quite a bit about this theoretical scenario since I have a vested interest in it. I will admit, right now I can only cite Wikipedia for you, but the sources cited there should be enough to get you pointed in the right direction. In essence, the mega-tsunami theory is blown way out of proportion and it would take a remarkably large eruption to cause the type of displacement of water that would be needed to result in such a devastating tsunami.

Edit to add that it is unlikely but not impossible. I feel that if something on this scale were to happen, it would have to be preceded by some VERY unusual activity. So far, what is happening in the Canary Islands is not that unusual. I'll panic when the activity at La Palma starts popping off a series of mag 6+ quakes in a short timespan or notable geographic displacement occurs.
edit on 11-10-2011 by nydsdan because: Clarification

top topics

join