It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flood in Thailand 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
One more Time the Kingdom of good old Thailand is flooded,
i will give a short Press Review:

Thai flooding kills hundreds

Thailand is counting the multibillion dollar cost of nationwide flooding that has killed nearly 270 people and may yet cause more havoc as waters threaten to engulf the country's capital. Read more: www.watoday.com.au...

Thai flood victims queue for meals/ Video

www.bbc.co.uk...

Thailand flooding leaves hundreds dead, threatens capital

Millions have been affected by the flooding in Thailand and Cambodia, which has been hit by an above-average monsoonal rainy season. As of Monday, 269 people were dead in Thailand and four were missing, according to the country's Flood Relief Operations Command. Another 207 people were dead in Cambodia, according to the country's state-run news agency AKP.

Source:

Thailand races to defend Bangkok from floods

hailand raced on Tuesday to build floodwalls on the outskirts of Bangkok to prevent the worst floods in half a century from inundating parts of the capital later this week when water flowing from the north reaches the low-lying city. At least 269 people have been killed by heavy monsoon rains, floods and mudslides that have battered 27 of Thailand's 77 provinces since late July, according to the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation

Source:

It is really crazy, since 10 Years Thailand get flooded 2 times in year,
always bigger, more damage and longer!

Now my Friends in Bangkok working the whole day to make the Town ready
for the biggest Flooding since ancient Times!

Again and again corruption made a real Water Management impossible,
there is a huge Plan to bring the Water from Ayuthaya until the Sea via
a huge Tunnel but the Greed of some People (all) prevented this!

I will do more research about the situation in Cambodia later,
they have much less infrastructure and the damage will be even higher!
edit on 11-10-2011 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by Human0815 because: format

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thailand, one of the most beautiful lands I have ever seen with my own two eyes.

I am truly sad to hear this. When I was there about 3 years ago I traveled from Bangkok to Chang Rai and Chang Mai, rode an elephant, Had one of the greatest nights of my life going out partying with our tour guide Mr. 'Sexy' M!

The Thais are an incredibly strong people and I have full faith they will come through this.

Except their 'Royal' family, I hope, as the Chinese would say, that their future is full of 'interesting' times.

I pray for you Thailand, you are beautiful!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Floods drown Asia's rice bowl

assive floods have ravaged vast swathes of Asia's rice bowl, threatening to further drive up food prices and adding to the burden of farmers who are among the region's poorest, experts say. About 1.5 million hectares (3.7 million acres) of paddy fields in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos have been damaged or are at risk from the worst floods to hit the region in years, officials say.

"The whole region will now suffer from rising food prices as potential harvests have now been devastated. The damage is very serious this year and it will be some time before people can resume normal lives," Margareta Wahlstrom, the United Nations chief of disaster reduction, said in a statement.

www.google.com...

Record Mekong Flooding Threatens Bangkok, Phnom Penh

"We know that there is a lot of water coming down," she said. "The government at the moment is building canals around the city. There are sand bags going up everywhere. They are doing what they can to actually stop the water coming through, but each day it seems to come closer and closer." Mildren said the waters are also continuing to rise in Cambodia, where Phnom Penh is threatened. Across the country 183 people have died since August and almost 100,000 hectares of paddy are damaged or destroyed. Regionwide, she said at least 500 people are dead and millions are affected in Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.

www.voanews.com...

Asia's ‘Rice Bowl’ slammed by flooding

Recent heavy rains in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos have destroyed or put at risk 3.7 million acres of paddy rice fields, according to Agence France-Press news agency. Thailand, the world's top rice-exporting nation, has lost nearly 1 million hectares (2.4 million acres) of rice — or 10 percent of its annual production, according to Thai government officials.

Meanwhile, Vietnam, the world's No. 2 rice-exporting nation, has been heavily affected by flood waters draining from Laos and Cambodia into Vietnam's Mekong Delta, which accounts for half of the country's rice production. Pakistan, the third-largest rice exporting country, has also been impacted by flooding, with losses estimated at nearly $2 billion.
Source:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Thank you for posting this information.

Please take care, and keep us informed and updated. My prayers are with you and your country.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Flooding Overtakes Southeast Asia

The UN agency has offered Thailand emergency assistance if requested. Thai weather forecasters say more rains are expected in the coming days and the situation is likely to get worse.

www.ens-newswire.com...

Govt moves to protect inner city

While efforts have been under way to protect Bangkok from being swamped, the minister said he could not confirm if the capital would be safe from floods, and it would depend on rainstorms, the run-off sweeping down from Ayutthaya and the high sea tides.

www.bangkokpost.com...

Fears mount in Bangkok as Thailand flood waters rise

"It's really quite serious, these are the worst floods in Thailand since 1949," Cochrane said.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Update 10-13/14-11

Worst monsoon rains in Bangkok since 1949

A total of more than half a million square kilometers -- an area the size of Spain -- are impacted by the floods in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos!

www.taiwannews.com.tw...

Flood warning for Bangkok suburbs

Unusually heavy monsoon rains have killed at least 283 people, destroyed crops, inundated hundreds of factories and damaged the homes or livelihoods of millions of people in Thailand, according to the latest government figures.

About 110,000 people around the country have sought refuge in shelters. The National Flood Relief Centre said water up to one metre (3.3 feet) deep was expected in Rangsit, Saimai, Lamlukka and Klongluang in Bangkok's northern suburbs, advising people living in one-storey buildings to evacuate.

www.google.com...

Two-thirds of Thailand flooded — including 108 temples

Epic monsoon rains and typhoons have battered a vast swath of Asia relentlessly this year, killing hundreds of people from the Philippines to India and inflicting billions of dollars in damage over the last four months. Thailand is among the hardest hit; the floods here are the worst in half a century, claiming more than 280 lives since late July.

today.msnbc.msn.com...-So

This Flood get bigger and bigger, now we have huge Problems in India, Myanmar, the South of China, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Viet Nam, the Philippines and Indonesia, away from the Death Toll i fear a big Increase of the price for the Rice and the Rice is already very expensive for the majority there!

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Floods affect eight million in Asia: UN

At least 650 people have died and over eight million people have been affected by floods and typhoons in Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos and the Philippines, the UN has said. So far, Thailand and Cambodia are the worst affected and the situation is expected to worsen as more rains, high tides and run-off from the north are predicted over the weekend, Xinhua reported on Friday quoting the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). In Thailand, 2.4 million people in 26 provinces remained affected by the floods, and 12 provinces were on high alert for heavy rain and overflowing rivers.

zeenews.india.com...

Thailand says one-third of country a 'disaster' area

Thailand on Wednesday declared a third of its provinces to be disaster zones, as auto giant Toyota called a halt to work after production was affected by the country's worst flooding in decades. The government's move aims to speed up relief operations, as the floods have left at least 281 people dead and damaged millions of homes and livelihoods in more than two months.

www.google.com...

We do not know What we are doing

Thailand is a tropical country with monsoon seasons. Annual flooding is even more a part of life than skin-whitening cream, but less so than corruption. Given climate change, deforestation, decades of poor planning and mismanagement, the flood disaster will get progressively worse and worse.

The present disaster will pale compared to the next one. Decades of mismanagement and short-sightedness cannot be blamed on any one government. It requires a collective effort to achieve this level of incompetence. But I can guarantee that in news meetings of every media organisation in the Kingdom over the past weeks, editors have been pulling their hair out over how to report the flooding situation accurately. The problem is the confusion and mixed messages given by the authorities.

www.bangkokpost.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

UN: Southeast Asian Floods Trigger Humanitarian Crisis

"The question in our minds is that we’ve predicted the most catastrophic floods [as a once-in-200-years] event - [and] the catastrophic one is this already," he said, explaining that relief agencies classify the magnitude of natural disasters by the statistical probability that they would occur in a given time frame. "So is this the most catastrophic or are we going to see far worse in the future? And, for me personally, I think the worst is yet to come.”

www.voanews.com...

Bangkok floods could lead to price rises on global rice market

Thailand is the world's largest exporter of rice – 30% of the global market – and with 1m hectares of rice paddy damaged by floods, its economy is bound to be affected. "The whole region will suffer from the rise in food prices because potential crops have been devastated," said Margareta Wahlstrom, the UN assistant secretary general for disaster risk.
www.guardian.co.uk...

Abused, rivers venting their rage

People in Bangkok are panicking, emptying the shelves of supermarkets to buy up bottled water, instant noodles and sardines. They're buying boots and sandbags, and finding alternative parking spaces for their cars.

www.bangkokpost.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

This looks real bad!!

2011 is really bringing some big disasters... i wonder what 2012 will bring.... a massive change is happening and we are witness to it.... i dont think its gonna be the 'end of the world' though, just massive Earth damage!!

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Today, the flood just got worse in Thailand. The northern part of the capital is under seige by raging floodwaters up to 2 metres high nonstop, and likely Bangkok will be up to its neck soon.

But then, it is only 10% of the nation that is flooded despite its awesome almost once in a lifetime history.There still 90% of the nation to take care of. The PM must not lose focus on the 90% and the inhabitants there, despite the amount of lives and money lost.

This is a natural event, and there's no stopping the floods despite the best effort. Best let it run its course, and then pick up the pieces.

1. This is the best time to seek for a general 'flooding tax' from the rich, of 30% of their taxable income. This funds will help to pay for contractors to clear and clean up the debris, rebuild new homes and working places, a form of bailout for the people affected by the flood.

In crisis, there will be opportunities. Many whom had lost jobs and dignity will then benefit from this bailout. It gives them a job instead of depending on charity and will help circulate wealth.

The rich must not baulk at making such payments, for ultimately, in the end, the money circulates back to them. Those workers will be thais, and will need to sustain themselves by purchases, not by hoarding as the rich did. Once they have the money to buy, it will flow right back to the rich, whom own the enterprises anyway.

2. Together with gov revenues, the administration will have to ensure that such flood will not run over the lands again by massive construction along the main rivers and its arteries. This will create jobs and circulate wealth in the land, so long as they keep to local companies doing the job.

It may come a situation that the administration will need foreign labour for such a project, as most of Thailand's industry is rice farming, thus helping other nation's poor to sustain themselves by getting the construction jobs in Thailand, so long as the Thai gov makes sure that every thai has a job first before sharing it with others.

It's been too long that wealth had not been fairly shared by the thais. Heaven have eyes. The time to share it is now, on ones free will in this test of our mankind's era within every nation.

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Can you really see defense systems being built with th billionaires of this World? I doubt it.....

I think its just gonna take millions of lives because its time to kill some of us off i guess.... its a shame its hapening to Buddhists though... the most peaceful people here!!

top topics

join