It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral's are dying

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomten

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I hate these threads. A little googling can show you that crime has actually decreased. Times are better, not worse. But people only want to see the bad the MSM gives them.

Naa..
There are lot more Violent crimes now, than 1960's or other times.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Is that percentage per capita.

What are the statistics per population comparison?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by Annee

Should children respect teachers/parents - - authority figures?

So what are you saying the opposite?
Of cos they have to respect their elders especially their parents. What are you saying then that children should disrespect their parents?

That makes no sense.

Of course it makes sense. Do you respect your government? They are an authority figure. Do you respect them just because they are an authority figure?

Respect is both taught and earned. Should a child respect an authority figure - - just because they are an authority figure?

Say - - like a Catholic priest?

There are lots of parents that do not deserve respect. Are you saying a child should respect them - - just because they are a parent?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
Basically to have morals, you must be spiritual, and in no way does this only include only organized religion.

So an Atheist can't have morals?

I personally prefer ethics or personal integrity.

God nor spirituality is a requirement.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Money is not materialism, its a tool to trade with.

You can't trade material things?

I do believe that was the first form of "money".

There are still societies today that function purely on barter.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Money is not materialism. However, you could say that money and materialism go hand in hand. In order to jump to the level of materialism you must have a love for money.
Sort of like how a spoon is a tool for a harmless cereal eater or it could be the tool for a free basing crack head.

When you decide to slow your car down so you do not hit a pedestrian, you are rationalizing in a spiritual way by deciding "my time is not more important than this pedestrians safety". Even Atheists have an inner ego, or voice that helps them to decide from right and wrong. A broad term to describe this would be your spirit. Everybody has it.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

OK I win this thread... Onto dominate in a new one. Later geeks

Basically to have morals, you must be spiritual

Hey, look at that. You lost immediately after you "won".

It's actually immoral to propagate this kind of nonsense.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Money is not materialism. However, you could say that money and materialism go hand in hand. In order to jump to the level of materialism you must have a love for money.

Unless you're a thief

Once you acquire "stuff" - - life becomes about protecting that "stuff".

Without "stuff" - - life is about life.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

When you decide to slow your car down so you do not hit a pedestrian, you are rationalizing in a spiritual way by deciding "my time is not more important than this pedestrians safety".

Sorry but this is nonsensical. Rational thinking or contemplation of the best course of ethical action has nothing to do with spirituality.

The behaviors that we decide upon to be moral or ethical are decided by secular reasoning. There is no component of divinity or spirituality or other lofty, magical concepts involved in arranging our ethical zeitgeist.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by tomten

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I hate these threads. A little googling can show you that crime has actually decreased. Times are better, not worse. But people only want to see the bad the MSM gives them.

Naa..
There are lot more Violent crimes now, than 1960's or other times.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

Is that percentage per capita.

What are the statistics per population comparison?

On top of the page, is the Total number of crimes.

On the bottom of the page, is the Number of crimes per 100 000 citizens.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

I don't know what the crossing line is for those at the top. They wage wars, allow genocides, erase cultures/languages, allow the starvations, and even play with people's homes/lives/hopes through economic manipulation. I know much is to blame on each and every one of us individually. I'm not downplaying the amount of selfishness or negativity I am personally responsible for.

But yeah... morals are fading. Here's why I think: Firstly, bad parenting and lack of parenting. Lack of parenting, I am talking about the parents too busy working trying to pay bills, or the parents always dropping the kids with relatives or sitters, or the parents that put their children infront of the tv, video games, and computers, so they don't have to deal with them. How can children learn proper morals if the parent isn't a key figure always teaching and demonstrating morals by example?

Secondly, outdated religions. No disrespect intended, but the newer generation can not easily relate to nor understand the tales of our ancestors. They speak a new kind of language, they experience a different type of world. The world and mankind are very, very different than biblical times. The children can't imagine even life without electricity! They think the days of candle light and horse back are as antiquitous as Homer! Many people have learned their morals through religious texts. The children can not learn what they do not understand. They don't need the Bible translated into modern English. They need morals, ethics, and stories about modern life! How to handle road-rage... how to deal with modern day distractions and problems...

So... ultimately I think morals are vanishing as a result of lack of parenting collectively as a whole society. Lack of parenting for many different reasons. Kids can't learn what isn't taught and exemplified for them.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
People tend to idealize the past and view the future negatively, even if there is no basis for it. In many ways, the youth of today is much more moral than in the past.

There's a stranger in my bed,
There's a pounding in my head
Glitter all over the room
Pink flamingos in the pool
I smell like a minibar
DJ's passed out in the yard
Barbie's on the barbeque
Is this a hickie or a bruise?

Pictures of last night
Ended up online
I'm screwed
Oh well

My gfs 8 yr old girl sings this with her friends.

A few little girls in my neighborhood were out (about 7ish 8ish) singing the same thing.

I am no expert but i don't remember my sister and her friends singing garbage like this when I was a kid.

we have toddlers and tiaras, we have hoochie momma clothes for little girls.

if i compare my sisters cousins and gfs attire music they were singing from their day it would look like nothing of today.

unless it is morally right to dress 8yrs like katy perry with full blown make up singing about smelling lieka mini bar and not knowing who the guy they are in bed with is..

if that is your idea of good morals then nevermind i said anything.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

edit on 30-10-2011 by Dr Cosma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join