It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral's are dying

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

Perhaps in your demographic it isn't outdated. But thats not really the point.

The point is people outside of religion have morals. They must also be included if you're discussing morality about the entire population. Therefore, the idea of recreational sex having anything to do with the decline of morality on a whole is leaving out many members of the population who have no moral issue with recreational sex. Its shortsighted

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

People who screw like wild rabbits, having multiple partners before marriage, are infinitely more likely to have a child out of wedlock, than someone who waits until marriage.

This may have been much more pronounced in the past, but today with easy availability of anticonception and abortion the argument no longer has much merit.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Oi! and Ai! dear Unityemissions,

I don't catch your drift in the following sentence and my two disqualified braincells are arguing with my other two disabled ones. Please explain to me what you mean by:

"You may be intelligent, and have less testosterone than average, but the highly intelligent who bizarrely still have high testosterone levels seek social dominance at the higher socio-economic strata"

Me, I donno. Dominance is something that I want to steer very very far away from. We are all at different stages and in life and dominance implies oppression which hurts like hell. No way, Josay, what do you mean by this sentence please?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Who defines morals? No one is going to define morals for me - - except me. I prefer personal integrity.

I think we are just more real today.

We don't live by programmed society roles.

Should children respect teachers/parents - - authority figures? Like our government? In the 50s if the government said JUMP - - you jumped. Is that what you want?

I have a big problem with "sex is love" - - uh no it isn't. Kids need to learn to respect and be responsible for recreational sex. False love - - lust/pheromones - - needs to be understood for what it is. Having a sex buddy without the emotional complications is much wiser for the young.

It is a different world today - - kids aren't going to go follow their parents footsteps and work in a plant for 30 years. But - - the global market and opportunities are much more open today then ever in the past.

I think self-centered is a very good thing for the up and coming generation. Its not gonna be a world for the loafers.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I like lovey dovey sex too!

I see you even have a dove in your profile! Im not looking to insult us emotional kind.

What happened was the OP said morality is dying and we got a post talking about how sex outside of the emotional realm (or recreational no strings attached sex) was to blame. This to me was extremely short sighted considering sex is a behind closed doors thing for most people and doesn't really affect the next guys morality in any way.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky
It is not that I think that 'lovey-dovey sex' is better, it is that I know one's self worth and self respect (and that of your partner) grows through 'lovey dovey sex'. I have experienced the other side, and it made me feel utterly cheap and unvalued. Luckily I grew out of it.

I can have a lot of self worth and self respect while focusing on my education for career choice - - - with a "sex buddy" on the side.

No one makes you feel but yourself. Casual sex did not make you feel utterly cheap - - - you made you feel that way by your own thoughts.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by marshy10156
reply to post by Afterthought

Have you noticed all those quoted are from failed civilizations/cultures, even though I do agree with them.
I'm afraid you're suffering from a case of "The Good Ole Days". Things will always seem better when reflecting on them.
Last time I checked the 60's had illegal wars, sex, drugs, a lack of respect towards the government & racism.... not a lot has changed really except the whole "i-generation" of consuming

Have you noticed that EVERY civilization/culture has and will fail?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Perhaps because of the technological, fast paced world we live in things are a bit chaotic and will eventually balance themselves out as we find our feet, the sort of shift society is going through at the moment will never go smoothly. Apathy is another thing that is causing many problems.

I edited out commenting on peoples casual view of sex to get the thread back on track.

edit on 12-10-2011 by Solomons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
OOps. You are right. And I appologise for steering the topic onto sex, it was not my intention to do so, and it seems like everyone jumped on the bandwagon and kept driving the cart in that direction.

So, lets move on from sex, peoples. But dear Sala, before we do so, I must tell you that I am soooooo glad to hear that you too enjoy the lovey dovey sex. I am not a spring chicken anymore, only a chicken, so let me assure you, that the most amazing sex happens when there is true connecting love. Sure you know that.

In my opinion, what is really going wrong with this world is that we have become extremely self centred. If we start becoming more compassionate, more understanding, more kind and caring we will most definately uplift the social vibration to a higher level and start moving forward as a specie.

edit on 12-10-2011 by UnlimitedSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Well now Im am feeling lovey dovey and must say that of course you are entitled to your opinon and I didnt mean to jump down anyones butt.

But Ill be danged if anyone tells me there is one thing that decays morality more the materialism. I'm sort of a spring chicken (to those in the 80's) I guess, but Im no noobie to noticing things. In my 1/3 of predicted average human life span, Ive noticed that greed and materialism are to blame at the core of moral decay.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

People who screw like wild rabbits, having multiple partners before marriage, are infinitely more likely to have a child out of wedlock, than someone who waits until marriage.

This may have been much more pronounced in the past, but today with easy availability of anticonception and abortion the argument no longer has much merit.

Yes, because everyone wants/gets an abortion, or uses contraceptives correctly, and successfully.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
. . . greed and materialism are to blame at the core of moral decay.

Money is not evil - - its the love of money.

Is greed and materialism really synonymous?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

If apathy is the oposite of empathy and compassion then I agree with you most strongly.

How do you see this totally unbalanced, underdeveloped specie of ours balance ourselves out?

The true level of a society's culture is the measure through which a society caters to the least fortunate man. The measure in which the sick, invalid, old or poor people are taken care of. In short, THE MEASURE OF THE COLLECTIVE UNSELFISHNESS. That indicates a society's moral fibre.

Street children begging for food, old people totally neglected, the sick unattended, those are not symptoms of a nation or society with high morals.

No, we are not doing well at all.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy

Perhaps in your demographic it isn't outdated. But thats not really the point.

The point is people outside of religion have morals. They must also be included if you're discussing morality about the entire population. Therefore, the idea of recreational sex having anything to do with the decline of morality on a whole is leaving out many members of the population who have no moral issue with recreational sex. Its shortsighted

I'm not religious. I operate on principals.

It's not shortsighted in the least.

While I understand many people have no qualm with recreational sex, the long term consequences are available for anyone to see that has the intelligence and wisdom to study these things.

Few seem to.

I care not what most people consider as moral or not.

I care what is best for the species.

Having children out of wedlock is on the rise: fact.

Single parenting, and divorce rates, or never married with a child is on the rise: fact.

See previous for all the horrible repercussions of this "moral" lifestyle.

If people want to be religious or not, I don't much care.

They should, however, strive to be informed on what's best for their community, and act accordingly, IMO.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

ma·te·ri·al·ism

1. preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

2. the philosophical theory that regards matter and its motions as constituting the universe, and all phenomena, including those of mind, as due to material agencies.

Money is not materialism, its a tool to trade with. I agree that its the love of money that is the root of all evil and not money itself.

OK I win this thread... Onto dominate in a new one. Later geeks

So while greed is not mentioned specifically in the definition above, is the rejection of the values listed above not greedy?

Basically to have morals, you must be spiritual, and in no way does this only include only organized religion.

edit on 12-10-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-10-2011 by Salamandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Salamandy

Hunderds!

I am in no way religious but strongly believe in moral values. We seem to have regressed into materialism and totally left spirituality behind, to the total detrement of our actual development.

You cannot take that BMW with you when you die!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Yes we all should certainly act to do what is best for the community. Cant really say that matters of sex are really up there in the priorities on how to improve overall morals. There are grown adults who can actually have recreational healthy lifestyle, but whatever, if sex is that important to your morals than that is as good as any opinion on the matter.

edit on 12-10-2011 by Salamandy because: changed

edit on 12-10-2011 by Salamandy because: changed "then" to "than" to piss off any pretentious grammar police

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Should children respect teachers/parents - - authority figures?

So what are you saying the opposite?
Of cos they have to respect their elders especially their parents. What are you saying then that children should disrespect their parents?

That makes no sense.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnlimitedSky
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Maybe the only ones we can really change is ourselves. We can share ideas, encourage people, and help them to form new opions, but true change can only be achieved by the person himself.

Give love and show kindess, and it will eventually inspire others. But maybe lets start with ourselves.

Yep, we can only really change our self.

If you can't change your self, to a better way of living..
..then we can't expect you to be able to change anyone else either.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I hate these threads. A little googling can show you that crime has actually decreased. Times are better, not worse. But people only want to see the bad the MSM gives them.

Naa..
There are lot more Violent crimes now, than 1960's or other times.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2010

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join