It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral's are dying

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Wonderful thread. People are succumbing to materialism. No doubt. Look at today's youth they are the perfect example of how not to get caught in an illusion. All the talks about Facebook, Apple, Twitter..its all BS. Common sense prevails. Its annoying to see people failing to realize the importance of self growth. Its hard to see someone talking about space or self-awakening aspects. Morals do die at one point of time but unless people are self-responsible and awakened it will never live in the first place.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by radkrish
Wonderful thread. People are succumbing to materialism. No doubt. Look at today's youth

What does materialism have to do with morals?

And what of the youth? Are you presuming they lack morals because they... talk about Facebook? They enjoy their gadgets & gizmos?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

Originally posted by Celestica
Morals are dying in one sense, but rising in another. The extremes are evening out and you have to take notice to both. I personally would love immortality, not in an immoral sense, but just image all the learning, teaching, studying you could do in an infinite amount of time. INFP's should rule the world.

I've had the displeasure of getting to know a few INFP's.

They're highly irrational, and act pathologically optimistic, except they don't really prepare for the worst most of the time.

If INFP's ruled the world, our species would go extinct in no time.

Leave it to the extroverted rationals, imo:

ENTJ
ENTP

Interesting as those characteristics don't really apply to INFP. INFPs tend to be people who love to teach and help, not be optimistic and unprepared. We tend to constantly think about how our actions echo across people and how their minds are analyzing what we've done. We don't even tend to be optimistic, but I can see how that can be perceived.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
its called nihilism, get used to it. Nietzsche foresaw this period of time, he said two hundred years of it. he also wasnt sure if we will make it, but called it the greatest crisis of mankind.

I was reading somewhere that nihilsim is divided into four stages, the last being the destruction stage. Its the closest thing to pure nihilism there is.

remember, the nihilist slogan is:

there is no truth, and everything is permitted. think about that, I think that's where we are today in "morals"

edit on 11-10-2011 by freeasabee1 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by Maslo

Ancient Greece went into major decline and pretty much fell apart shortly after the death of the philosopher you quoted.

The Byzantine era introduced a new type of society, which we call Hellenistic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
O yes because back when people where murdering the uncircumsized and forcing slavery on african americas the world was a much better place.

Not realizing that people are more moral now than ever makes it very obvious how ignorant you are.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Dear Doc/OP,

Sadly I have to agree with you. WE are in a moral mess and many of us cannot even see it.

Our vulnerable minds are constantly bombarded by advertising propoganda which stimules greed, vanity and sexual lust. Images of violence in movies numbs the brain to the horror of inflicting pain and fear on others so that it becomes second nature to believe in guns and knives, and communication and negotiation is disregarded as methods of obtaining agreements. Actually, it is also because agreement is not really what those with knives and guns have in mind. Domination and winning is more like it. How utterly immoral.

The focus of today's society is heavily laid on selfishness and materialism. A total disregard for empathy, sympathy, compassion, understanding, spiritual growth, love and peace is envorced by the way most think and do.

This is extremely sad.

On ATS at the moment there is this 'prostitute' discussions going on and every time I considered posting a reminder that lust paves the way to hell (it is the lowest of the senses, the animal desire, and uses the spiritual energy that could rather be channeled to spiritual progress instead of constantly channeling it into the fire of lust) but after reading only one or two posts to try and find a footing I was so disappointed and disgusted that i just closed the thread out of sheer helplessness. Some of these people have fallen so deep into the pit of self gratification that they will look at me asif I am the alien.

The road of lust, and materialism travels through the lowest organs. They are very closely related as they are both centred on the ego, the self. Both these energies take you downwards and outwards into the world. Sex and lust should not be your master. Sex is a SACRED attempt at expressing closeness (when not for reproduction) and is utterly private between man and woman. Within the safety and trustworthy walls of an intimate relationship, man and woman can explore while still MAINTAINING A HIGH SENSE OF SELF WORTH.

When we start justifying loose morals we will be falling down-down the slippery slope and soon we sill find ourselves doing things that we would have thought very degrading before. Eventually a person can no longer hear that voice inside that tries to guide them and then life becomes utterly filthy without the ability to selfevaluate.

Love and unselfishnesh is a road that leads through the heart and takes you inwards to where all the true jewels of creation lies (the microcosm within the macrocosm) and upwards to love and higher love. This state does not allow for selfishness and just in the same way that darkness cannot be where a light is switched on, self gratification cannot be where this pure state is. How sad that we do not choose the state of bliss, peace, immense happiness and real joy that lies here.

I don't care who calls me names such as 'taking the higher ground' or what ever creative way you want to find to label me. We have become a specie that is dirty inside our hearts and minds and outside our bodies in the lifestyle we follow. We are dirtying our beautiful planet and find new ways to do so constantly. This is true.

If you cant see that at least the planet was not as poluted 100 years ago, then think back to the garden of eden. i am not a chistian or even religious, but I do believe there was a golden age. From then till now is a very very EXTREMELY far fall in morals and values.

Can you see regression now?

THERE! now I have finally said my bit.

Probably no-one will really read it.
Cause reading is work.
And work is love.
And love is very very hard to find anymore.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Morals aren't dying. In order to die you have to live , Morals never existed. Show me a moral , let me touch it. How do you define what is moral and what is not? You can't because they don't exist. They are not a reality. They are a myth , a very very popular one , but still a myth.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Morals are dying throughout the world.Even in the EAST.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Morals mean nothing. Its about how you raise your children. You create these fake morals and impart them onto your kids. YOU DO NOT LET POP CULTURE IMPART ANYTHING TO THEM. letting your kids veiw this # is your fault, idiots. sorry i made swears. not censoring myself.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There can be no morals in a politically correct society.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I wouldn't say morals are dying, just that the TPTB never had any.

Ron Paul 2012

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by UnlimitedSky

Exellent post, star.
Thank you for that, I enjoyed reading that very much.
In times like these it's good to know we still have level headed people around with love and wisdom to spread.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

I wouldn't say morals are dying, just that the TPTB never had any.

Im not talking about the powers that be, im talking about society in general.
Im talking about those young people especially that go round vandalising everything with the state of mind "oh well, the government will pay for it"....you idiot's! The powers that be dont pay for anything, it's me and you and the kid's parent's who will pay for it with our taxes. Irresponsible.
Im talking about the guy who walk's his dog down the street and doesnt pick up his dog's doing's, leaving the whole street stinking and disgusting "oh well, the trashmen will pick it up".
Im talking about a level of standard that used to exist before that is becoming non existent.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Reptius

Throughout the history of recorded literature, the majority of fictional writing has served not only to entertain but also to instruct, inform or improve their audiences or readership.

Can you say the same about today's entertainment business?

Example of a moral = "It's better to be safe that sorry"

Morals have ALWAYS existed.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Aw I see what your talking about now. Well, never in a period of history has there ever been people that weren't jerks or inconsiderate of others. Theres has always been vandals/hoodlums. Even back in the time when that could have gotten your hands chopped off, it still happened.

Theres no downfall of morals which are subjective to a point.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Morality doesn't really exist.Like many things,it's in the eye of the beholder.What is considered moral in the islamic world,is barbaric too us westerners and vice versa.

Yes i agree that youth today is more self centered and all the things you said,but the standards have changed.Remember that the majority grows up with television and playstation instead of mother and father.

You can say that morality,if ever existed,died the moment the first caveman killed his neighbour.

If you were worried enough, you would try and do something.

I'm worried enough for the world and society i live in.I can't compare with the past because every era in human history had its problems.By dreaming the past glory is not gonna make the future better.
Last night i had a long conversation with a friend and we concluded that we cannot change the world.What you can do if you really care, is change on person at a time.If you can reach one person and help him/her it's a win against the powers that be.It's a long process,but no change created overnight.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Our biggest moral breakdowns come from materialism here in the US.
People look at their clothes and cars as status symbols instead of materials to keep you warm and get yourself from place to place. These people often offer nothing towards a cooperative community and serve only to divide the people.
Our pop music is devoid of any actual technical composition. Its all based in materialistic stylings. Casio keyboards drum tracks with street corner vocals and elementary poetry. Basically even our pop "musicians" don't know the first thing about music. Gotta love it when someone interviews a guy like Lil Wayne and refers to him as talented. Haha yea right! I gues going to prison makes you a musician nowadays.
Or take the ultra clean house keeper. They spend all day making sure their houses are clean and actually get upset at people for tracking mudd into the house. These people need to grow up. Learn to be apart of nature and not resist it.
Materialism is the beginning of all moral errosion.

Now let's all go out and get our 5 dollar coffees from Starbucks because it's so much better than the store bought stuff at a fraction of the price. Yea right!!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
There seem to be many factors that have lead to the downfall of morality,the lack of discipline from parents and teachers, created by the government. No more paddles, grounding..etc. I do not want to here that you can not hit a child BS. Discipline works well. The amount of divorces and lack of family stability is another cause.
Materialism is another, along with self gratification. Unfortunately, it starts with the parents, and that power to transform children has and will always be the key. It will take generations of good parenting to see any improved results.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Materialism says the person puts credence in material objects. People will screw the other guy basically to get a nicer piece of flash than the next guy. Men are becoming feminine because of it and forgetting to be kind to their fellow man

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join