It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moral's are dying

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
In a world dictated by blood money and oil, where does the line end for human indecency and immorality?
Do the powers that be have a line drawn that state's this cannot be crossed like any normal human being would have such as murder?
Given the current state of the world and nature of the beast, I don’t think so, do you?
We live in dangerous times with dangerous people at the very top controlling our needs and desires.
Are you not worried? Of course you’re not. You’re interested, that's about it.
If you were worried enough, you would try and do something.
Ok, so fear has crippled most of us into not rising up against the system that keep's all of us in a constant nightmare.
The problem lies in the fact that most people only think about themselves.
This paves the way for a divide and conquers game that is played to perfection.
The fact that the average human being does not care about anything but his wants and need's is the problem of today's decaying society.
No one respect's anything anymore. The world is a giant stinking trash bin and we are the only ones to blame for it.
I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say that our Earth is beautiful, just beautiful.
So why are we turning it into a giant trash bin along with ourselves?
Why in the world do people throw litter around like it's going to suddenly disappear?
We have been dumbed down. Pure and simple.
Today's youth are no longer excited about the possibility of raising a family and living a happy life. Most want drugs, quick sex and easy money.
The old generation is dying and along with them goes our morals.
We must learn to appreciate things in life and treat others how you want to be treated and that should be the grand slogan of a peaceful revolution. Enough is enough.
The new world order has dumbed down our youth and the future look's bleak. I hope that's not the case but you only have to look around you to find out the answers.
It's not the youth who are to blame but us. We let the puppeteers string us and our children.
What are we going to do about it?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
People tend to idealize the past and view the future negatively, even if there is no basis for it. In many ways, the youth of today is much more moral than in the past.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

the youth of today is much more moral than in the past.

How so?
I dont think this is the case. Most of today's youth have no respect.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Well, you can't rely on the World. It never had morals.....

You can only rely on you and the others around you.

Work on them to help you and them keep your morals.

Start locally and don't even try to fix it globally.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Morals are dying in one sense, but rising in another. The extremes are evening out and you have to take notice to both. I personally would love immortality, not in an immoral sense, but just image all the learning, teaching, studying you could do in an infinite amount of time. INFP's should rule the world.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

Yes, you are right.
It's a moral mess.

Just look at these "Occupy Wall Street" and their copy cats:

Of course, wherever there’s dirty people and hemp, you’ll find a hippy environmentalist. Channelling Rachel Carson, activist Bill McKibben told a crowd, “The reason that it’s so great that we’re occupying Wall Street is because Wall Street has been occupying the atmosphere.” He said that the fossil fuel industry “cannot keep using [the sky] as a sewer into which to dump their carbon!” It’s OK to use the streets of New York, though. The Daily Mail reports: “Protesters said the site smells like a sewer and the free condoms have given visions of what the Woodstock festival was like. In one shocking picture, a man can be seen defecating on a police car.”

Source of above

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Morality isn't dying. Society is just becoming gradually more unacceptably behaved.
More and more people are developing the attitude that they can have what they want, and will do what they can to get it.
Still plenty of people who maintain a good set of standards, and plan to raise their children with them too.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

Still plenty of people who maintain a good set of standards

Let's hope so.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

How so? I dont think this is the case. Most of today's youth have no respect.

Well I don't see a lot of todays youth being against equal and fair treatment for gays. To me that's a moral issue. I don't see a lot of young racists (real racists, not wanna be gang members "fronting"). i don't see that many young people supporting most of the wars taking place right now.

Respect? Yes, I agree, respect is lacking in todays youth, but, to get it you have to provide it, what respect have any of us given to these "stupid teenagers living in their parents basements?" Exactly. Respect isn't a moral issue.

I believe, honestly believe, that in a few more generations most of the issues that divide us now simply won't exist anymore because each generation is better than the last.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma
reply to post by Maslo

the youth of today is much more moral than in the past.

How so?
I dont think this is the case. Most of today's youth have no respect.

They may have less respect. They are also less racist, xenophobic and bigoted in general. Morals are not dying, morals are changing, not necessarily for the worse.

"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Plato

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

Socrates

"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint".

Hesiod, 8th century BC
edit on 11/10/11 by Maslo because: quotes

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You're not alone, Op. I've been feeling the same way for some time now. People seem to have less respect for others and this is just a reflection of them having no respect for themselves. People can't seem to tell the difference between wants and needs anymore. Nowadays, it seems as though people have no problems stomping on those to get ahead or get what they feel they deserve. If you don't like someone's view, call them names and degrade them as a person. The world seems as though it's becoming overrun with bullies, which I like to call the crowded rat syndrome. Everyone is so brainwashed into believing that they need the latest gadget that they turn into rabid animals to get what they obviously feel they deserve.

When people stop worshipping instant gratification and rejecting the media's psychological tactics, things will improve. At least I hope so.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I can't say if morals are dying.

I can say that proper use of the apostrophe is dying.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

Is that your contribution to the thread?
Some of us are not native to English.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

I love the quotes you posted! I view it as a time line to figure out where exactly the downward spiral began.
Just because each generation says the ones following are worse, doesn't mean they're wrong.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
This is my view:
When I was growing up, my mum was very firm about what was expected of me, and about what I could and couldn't do. I got on average of £3-£5 pocket money every 2 weeks. My mum didn't have me till she was 27, so the thought of me even having sex with anyone before I was of the age of consent was scary to me.
Yet, my peers had parents who would let them do anything they wanted, gave them £20 pocket money every weekend and generally didn't give too much of a crap about what their kids were doing. Their parents had had them at a young age, and therefore many of my friends were having underage sex.
I saw that as just the beginning.
Ever since then, parents have less and less control of their children, don't bother too much about raising them with common sense, morals or respect.
I don't care what anyone says, I would rather respect people older than me outright and earn their respect in return, than just demand that I should be respected from the offset.
Take the recent London riots for example. Many of the looters were in their early teens. Many of the looters were parents themselves.
Our parents were our own role models. They were the law! Do something wrong, and you had to answer to them, and you knew you were in the sh- then!

I'm not saying kids need to be in lockdown, but morals aren't just something you pick up, they should be taught from a young age. I feel like many people are just not giving their offspring as much attention in those areas as they should, and therefore we are all suffering and going to suffer for it.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

Have you noticed all those quoted are from failed civilizations/cultures, even though I do agree with them.
I'm afraid you're suffering from a case of "The Good Ole Days". Things will always seem better when reflecting on them.
Last time I checked the 60's had illegal wars, sex, drugs, a lack of respect towards the government & racism.... not a lot has changed really except the whole "i-generation" of consuming

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Celestica
Morals are dying in one sense, but rising in another. The extremes are evening out and you have to take notice to both. I personally would love immortality, not in an immoral sense, but just image all the learning, teaching, studying you could do in an infinite amount of time. INFP's should rule the world.

I've had the displeasure of getting to know a few INFP's.

They're highly irrational, and act pathologically optimistic, except they don't really prepare for the worst most of the time.

If INFP's ruled the world, our species would go extinct in no time.

Leave it to the extroverted rationals, imo:

ENTJ
ENTP

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

The Govt only THINKS they are dumbing down the younger generations but mark my words they are far more intelligent than previous generations however they are short on basic common sense. Of those without a decent education are street wise more than ever before.

The Govts underestimate generation X, Y and Z. Generation X are caught up to the pranks of the past, Generation Y are very much AWARE of whats going on, Generation Z will be the building blocks.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by marshy10156

Have you noticed all those quoted are from failed civilizations/cultures, even though I do agree with them.

Failed civilisations? Ancient Greece was among the most developed civilisations of all time, it survived for a millenium (and then only transformed into Byzantine empire) and its cultural and scientific achievements were not bested until renaissance. It is the polar opposite of a failed civilisation.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by marshy10156
reply to post by Afterthought

I'm glad you said that because I didn't notice it, but I do now.
Maybe the civilizations failed because they ignored their wiser elders?

Simply the word "civilization" speaks volumes.
www.thefreedictionary.com...
civ·i·li·za·tion (sv-l-zshn)
n.
1. An advanced state of intellectual, cultural, and material development in human society, marked by progress in the arts and sciences, the extensive use of record-keeping, including writing, and the appearance of complex political and social institutions.
2. The type of culture and society developed by a particular nation or region or in a particular epoch: Mayan civilization; the civilization of ancient Rome.
3. The act or process of civilizing or reaching a civilized state.
4. Cultural or intellectual refinement; good taste.
5. Modern society with its conveniences: returned to civilization after camping in the mountains.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
civilization, civilisation [ˌsɪvɪlaɪˈzeɪʃən]
n
1. (Sociology) a human society that has highly developed material and spiritual resources and a complex cultural, political, and legal organization; an advanced state in social development
2. the peoples or nations collectively who have achieved such a state
3. the total culture and way of life of a particular people, nation, region, or period classical civilization
4. the process of bringing or achieving civilization
5. intellectual, cultural, and moral refinement
6. cities or populated areas, as contrasted with sparsely inhabited areas, deserts, etc.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

It seems as though each society eventually morphs into only caring about technological advances, while the other parts important for a well-rounded society/civilization fall by the wayside.
For example, today's society is also very technologically advanced, but we're not exactly funding art and music for young people. So, these cultural and artistic expressions are going to suffer and not expand along with technology. I also believe that materialism is valued more than intellect. It seems as though each generation is more focused on material gain than gaining knowledge. I'm not saying this is where everyone is, but the majority are much more concerned with petty wants than improving themselves internally with knowledge and wisdom.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join