It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Key Events that are Just Ahead

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
reply to post by ShortMemory

Can you please share the context of the scriptures with us, instead of cherry-picking to prove a point?

That would perhaps help you as well.

cherry picking is what your religion bases itself on..you take the good stuff litreally but then dont even pay attention to the bad stuff. if god is asking you to follow his word and then you ignore some of it your going to hell according to the bible.
the context is a plain as the words in most cases.

edit on 11-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
Jesuits...(the smart educated Catholics) don't take the Bible literaly...so don't quote scripture like
some fundementalist born again hack!
I don't care who you are...you aren't smart enough to understand what is true or false, important or irrelevant about what is in the Bible.
Believe what ever you want...but nobody on this site has the cred. to preach the truth, whatever it may be.
You literal Bible thumpers drive me crazy. You turn more people into Atheist than just the human experience itself.
....to the altar boy.....?........what nugget of knowledge do you get from that? I enjoyed lighting and extinguishing the candles myself...trying to look like I was paying attention to the same archaic readings was not enjoyable.

Pick another religion to demonstrate ignorance, most of us Catholics are more like Luthreans anyways.
leave us alone, go join your local holy roller church.

well actually you take some parts litreally, then ignore other parts..
how can you expect to go to heaven when your not following what he says fully? when he clearly asks you to follow his word
the bible is the word of man not god so people on ats have much credibility to talk about what it states.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
A bit off topic but my last post just got star #666. Ironic?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

You can't seriously compare mathematics with words written by a multitude of different men and stuck together and called by some a whole? Nothing at all the same.

You don't have to suspend disbelief to do calculus. It is verifiable beyond any doubt.

The bible on the other hand is not verifiable beyond even the smallest doubt and requires blind faith to be believed.

By the way, the scriptures do contradict themselves. The new testament contradicts much of the old testament.
edit on 10/11/2011 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShortMemory

reply to post by ShortMemory

Can you please share the context of the scriptures with us, instead of cherry-picking to prove a point?

That would perhaps help you as well.

cherry picking is what your religion bases itself on..you take the good stuff litreally but then dont even pay attention to the bad stuff. if god is asking you to follow his word and then you ignore some of it your going to hell according to the bible.
the context is a plain as the words in most cases.

edit on 11-10-2011 by ShortMemory because: (no reason given)

You do not know what religion I am, or even if I am religious.

You know what they say about assume.

The book gels together quite nicely (yet people cherry pick and screw it up, as you rightfully state).

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I have to suspend disbelief to do calculus because I BELIEVE I suck at math!!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

You can't seriously compare mathematics with words written by a multitude of different men and stuck together and called by some a whole? Nothing at all the same.

Yes I can. I am sorry that you do not grasp the analogy.

You don't have to suspend disbelief to do calculus. It is verifiable beyond any doubt.

Where did I say you had to suspend belief?

All I said is that scripture can't contradict scripture.

Simple concept, really.

The bible on the other hand is not verifiable beyond even the smallest doubt and requires blind faith to be believed.

I did not say you need to verify scripture with scripture to ascertain the validity of the whole.

I am merely stating that the Bible can't contradict itself.

Obviously, what you are talking about is circular logic.

WHat I am talking about has nothing to with what you are talking about.

By the way, the scriptures do contradict themselves. The new testament contradicts much of the old testament.

No, no it does not. It seems it does, but if you actually knew scripture, and used context, you would find that they compliment each other quite well.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Well, friends, this holy war has been fun but I must be off to bed. Maybe it will still be going when I awake. Good night all!! or day, depending on your location. Peace.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I just love being patronized. Thank you.

I never said that you said suspension of disbelief was needed for math. YOU read that wrong.

I was rather obviously implying it was needed to take the bible as a fact.

So was your last response "an eye for an eye" or "turning the other cheek"?

Jesus ate with sinners and "hung" with thieves
-- people that god loving people in the old testament were either supposed to shun or massacre completely.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Actually there are quite a few contradictions in the bible man...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Veritas1
reply to post by Zaphod

I respect your opinion, and I request that, and others do the same for me. But as for any doubter, all I can say is "hide and watch" what happens. Then you will see the Truth, but hopefully it won't be too late for you to open your eyes. All I can say is peace be to you and the rest of the detractors and people who are going to slander/insult/ridicule/joke/mock/ this thread. However, its not me you have to worry about.

I'll hide and watch"
the upcoming wave of catastrophe as you suggest: If Yellowstone erupts and blankets the usa with ash or the New Madrid fault gives way: how will I know it's the God of YOUR book and not the Pastafarian's flying sphaghetti monster?

Or just natural occurrences I had the incredibly poor timing to be living in?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Actually they are perceived contradictions.

Even though your mind is made up, I know that your are going to bust out a list, so have at it, and I will get to it when I get a chance.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE

Originally posted by Veritas1
reply to post by Zaphod

I respect your opinion, and I request that, and others do the same for me. But as for any doubter, all I can say is "hide and watch" what happens. Then you will see the Truth, but hopefully it won't be too late for you to open your eyes. All I can say is peace be to you and the rest of the detractors and people who are going to slander/insult/ridicule/joke/mock/ this thread. However, its not me you have to worry about.

I'll hide and watch"
the upcoming wave of catastrophe as you suggest: If Yellowstone erupts and blankets the usa with ash or the New Madrid fault gives way: how will I know it's the God of YOUR book and not the Pastafarian's flying sphaghetti monster?

Or just natural occurrences I had the incredibly poor timing to be living in?

To answer this about the pastafarians..... You will never see the tendrils of the FSM, for they are elusive to mankind. - or something like that.

You see this is the problem with most if not all bible prophercies, how do you know who is "right", it could be:
* Yama
* Hades
* Satan (hell why not?)
* Gaia

The list could be endless, each faith has their doctrines, whos to say who is right and who is wrong when it comes to the proverbial "end of days".

And why is it that the rightious judge me because i do not goto church on a holy day? Why is it I'm immediately judged as a heretic or evil inherently?

It's all a bit strange.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

I just love being patronized. Thank you.

Likewise

I never said that you said suspension of disbelief was needed for math. YOU read that wrong.

You brought up suspension of disbelief while I was talking about verifying scripture with scripture, which has absolutely nothing to do with belief or disbelief in the veracity of the bible, but is the way to check the statements it makes.

I was rather obviously implying it was needed to take the bible as a fact.

Which, again, has nothing to do with what I wrote.

So was your last response "an eye for an eye" or "turning the other cheek"?

Yay for contradictions!

Jesus ate with sinners and "hung" with thieves
--

Indeed.

people that god loving people in the old testament were either supposed to shun or massacre completely.

Thanks for proving that you do not understand scriptures, yet again.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I get it. You don't like views that conflict with your own. It is obvious from the many pages you have replied on.

Why do my responses that don't directly address Everything you said bother you apparently?

I am not on ATS for you.

I am here for myself--selfishly. Like I would have to guess you are as well.

Live with it.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

Actually they are perceived contradictions.

Even though your mind is made up, I know that your are going to bust out a list, so have at it, and I will get to it when I get a chance.

That shows what assuming will get you doesn't it...

I wasn't going to bust out a list of said contradictions, anyone with the internet can find them, and theres plenty of lists... Theres been many threads where i have busted out lists here, but i hardly want to go over it yet another time...

And considering this isn't a religious thread... im not going to derail this thread by doing so.

I just wanted to point out that there are many contradictions within the bible... both factual and otherwise...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by radpetey
reply to post by Veritas1

Keep it up, at the Lords Table......Do not touch the other with a ten foot pole.

Love you radpetey but you must change. The mystical, the history, apostolic succession,
direct you to the Holy Eucharist, there is one Lord, one faith, one baptism..so....one
Church. A person discovering something for the first time and changing is a great
grace. Shows you are wise too.

Veritas1,

Do not listen to radpetey. The Holy Eucharist was instituted by Christ at the Last Supper. The Eucharist, Holy Communion is something greater, it's not a "remembrance" of Christ's death on the cross. How do you figure, "remembrance" makes no sense because it is an excuse, a new meaning not the teaching of Christ.

Someone asked if the Eucharist is not cannibalism? "Spirit and Life", Our Lord's words, spirit in the Gospel means something supernatural. The Eucharist is the risen Christ, body, blood, soul and divinity. Pretty supernatural, very mysterious, you believe on faith, God says it is so. Jesus said this "is" My body.

I have a "devotion to the prophetic, here's an older message from Heaven. Our Lord speaking about the Holy Eucharist.

Thursday, July 24, 2008: (St. Sharbel Makhluf)

July 24, 2008

Jesus said: “My people, fresh water is one of your body’s necessities, and it is not always available to everyone. People in arid areas depend on wells, while others use rain water, or bodies of fresh water in lakes or rivers. The Scriptures mention ‘Living Water’ as I explained to the woman at the well. I told her that I could give her ‘Living Water’ in Myself so she would not have to keep coming to the well. But I was speaking of her spiritual thirst and not her physical needs. When you come to receive Me in Holy Communion, you receive My ‘Living Water’ that feeds your soul and satisfies your desire to have My grace in your soul. I know you have the symbol of water in Baptism which is a sign of cleansing of sin, but the ‘Living Water’ that I am referring to is My very Self in Holy Communion. I have told you many times that he, who eats My Body and drinks My Blood, will have eternal life. It is the grace of My sacrament that gives you spiritual life, and without this grace, your soul is dead as in mortal sin. Just as water is necessary for your physical life, so My grace is needed for your spiritual life. Rejoice in receiving My ‘Living Water’ as often as you can, and you will be close to Me throughout this life and the next life.”

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I was obviously being sarcastic.
As if I actually believed some cosmic deity was going to take the time out of it's obviously busy sechdule to open a whole can of divine whoop ass on anglo-saxon descendents

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by TerryMcGuire

I haven't professed to be anything. I just do not enjoy being lied to. My response is 4 hours late because I just got home and saw that this thread was still going on.

Being an "upstanding Christian" does not equate to being a pushover. I am sorry I do not fit into your mindset of a Christian but my Lord came with a sword and that sword should cut through all the garbage that is out there. I love my neighbor but please don't confuse love for weakness.

I thought that is what I said.

in these last days, I suppose that a lot of Christians are writing their own version of what that means to suit their own proclivities.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by Res Ipsa

This is the teaching of Catholic catechism:

Do you believe that the Bible is complete without the Aprocrypha books?
Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that salvation is by grace through faith and not of works as stated in Ephesians 2:8-10? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that only those who believe should baptized as was done in Acts 2:41; 8:12; 10:47; 18:8 and therefore disagree with the Catholic Churches doctrine of infant baptism? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you agree with Paul that baptism is not part of the gospel (1 Cor 1:17) and therefore not required for salvation? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe the Bible when it says that we must be able to believe and repent before we are baptized (Acts 2:38)? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that confirmation is not a proper sacrament since it is not taught in the Bible? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you deny that Christ complete in body, blood, soul and divinity are present in the Eucharist? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you deny the doctrine of Transubstantiation since it is not taught in the scripture? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that Christ's sacrifice on the cross is the only sacrifice that will offer forgiveness of sins (Heb 10:12-14) and thefore deny that we receive forgiveness of sins by taking the Eucharist? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that we should not worship the bread of the Eucharist as if it were Christ complete? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that sacramental confession is not necessary to keep your salvation and that confessing secretly to priests is a doctrine made by man, not Christ? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that the Mass is NOT a real and true sacrifice offered to God because the Bible specifically says that there will be no more sacrifice for sins (Heb 10:18)? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe that the Mass is NOT a propitiatory sacrifice that should be offered for the sins of both the living and dead saints for forgiveness of sins, punishment, etc.? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you believe in the priesthood of the believers as stated in 1 Peter 2:9 and therefore do not believe that Catholic priests have the power to retain and forgive sins? Then you are considered anathema!

Do you deny the legitimacy of the bishops appointed by Rome? Then you are considered anathema!

This is not from the literal interpretation of the bible but from the catholic catechism. How many atheists have your church created? How many crusades? How many martyrs?

mic,

Hello, hey, the above came from "Guided By Truth Ministries" website. All the questions
posted each come after a Catholic writing, some of them early Church so that should
be a hint, a help.

They're all objections to the RCC because whoever wrote them does not understand
the faith.

Don't read anti-Catholic writing, you'll never learn what the Church truly teaches.
Typing in Catholic apologetics first under search before you wonder about the true
teaching. Most of the time, this will get you to hearing from Catholics.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join