It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the church non for profit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I understand that they do some charity work but thats irrelivant when your primarley collecting money to hold.
They are richer then most governments yet only use seperate donations to actually help people.
Not to mention the amount of property and other assets they hold.
Most of the church these days is about selling products and they get away without paying any taxes.
This needs to stop.
They should only be given tax breaks for the money they give to charity not all of the money they take in.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I was talking to the vicar at the church in my village a few weeks ago as I often do when i see him walking around and I asked him how the fund raising for a new roof was going and he replied "dreadful, people don't care about the church anymore".

And I couldn't help myself but say to him- " that for one of the richest establishments in the world that begs for handouts from the local villagers for a new roof when they have Billions sitting in the bank i'm not really surprised! People see the church as a place of greed"

It's small wonder they don't leave the church doors open at night for the homeless like they used to! They are probably worried that some poor beggar might nick off with the candelabra!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThorsBrother
I was talking to the vicar at the church in my village a few weeks ago as I often do when i see him walking around and I asked him how the fund raising for a new roof was going and he replied "dreadful, people don't care about the church anymore".

And I couldn't help myself but say to him- " that for one of the richest establishments in the world that begs for handouts from the local villagers for a new roof when they have Billions sitting in the bank i'm not really surprised! People see the church as a place of greed"

It's small wonder they don't leave the church doors open at night for the homeless like they used to! They are probably worried that some poor beggar might nick off with the candelabra!

exactly my point they have so much money in the bank. but when they do something good they ask for more donations? how does that even work
the church is a place of greed, simply capatailizing on the idea of religion..it has nothing to do with religion! thats why i get so frustrated at theists because i can sort of understand why they believe in a god but the church has nothing to do with it and only ruins the basics of what you believe

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There was a really nice guy on here the other day saying how he was religious and really believed in god but did it in his own way. He used to go to church when he was younger but stopped in his teenage years because he saw the church for what it really was.

We have 3 churches in my village, which is alot for a village of around 1,000 people but the smallest one is a Spiritualist Church (I'm not too sure what part of the church that belongs to), it is just a small house which draws around 40 regular attenders, including one of my neighbours. They don't ask for money and no one gives any except when they have celebration in which everyone pays their share. Seems very quaint in a way, not something i've ever heard of anywhere else

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That money is used to pay off their victims (kids that got molested)

Yes,...

It HAS to stop.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShortMemory
I understand that they do some charity work but thats irrelivant when your primarley collecting money to hold.
They are richer then most governments yet only use seperate donations to actually help people.
Not to mention the amount of property and other assets they hold.
Most of the church these days is about selling products and they get away without paying any taxes.
This needs to stop.
They should only be given tax breaks for the money they give to charity not all of the money they take in.

Most churches operate in the red, what are you talking about??

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Most churches operate in the red, what are you talking about??

Not only that to maintain their tax exempt status they are required to run in the red. Now you do have certain churches out there that use a great deal of creative accounting to the benefit of a select few. And it is very difficult for the government to do an audit on them because they do have a protected status of being a religion. So it comes down to the parishioner to look at how and what that money is being spent on. So if the pastor is maintaining a life of luxury compared to your own it is probably a good bet that they are using some of that creative accounting instead of doing right by the community.

top topics

join