It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Torn corneas, vision problems follow 'stealth recall' of contact lenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Amid growing reports of eye problems ranging from blurry vision to torn corneas, federal health officials are threatening to issue a public warning about recalled contact lenses manufactured by CooperVision Inc. and sold widely at stores such as Costco, Wal-Mart and LensCrafters. The Fairport, N.Y., firm has yet to heed a request from the federal Food and Drug Administration to broaden notification of problems with certain lots of its Avaira Toric contact lenses, which were recalled quietly in August because of unidentified “residue.”
Link

This news kind freaked me out since I wear contacts myself, though not this brand thankfully.

How can it be legal for this company to not be getting this recall information out there?? Eye injuries are nothing to take lightly, and it's lucky that no one has gone blind yet.
Also, residue? What kind of residue would cause a torn cornea, and how did it come to contaminate the lenses? Wish they could be a little more specific.
I checked out the companies webpage but it's not much help since the Q&A links don't seem to be working for me.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I wear that brand! They are pretty cheap ones, and my last box was terrible. I was having all kinds of problems, itching, the lenses seemed clouded, and they dried out very easily. I had no idea they had been recalled. This makes me pretty upset. My eye doctor should have known this information and given me a different brand...

Wonder what I can do about it now? Nothing most likely.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

Apparently the recall only applies to a small percentage of the lenses. Did you check the lot number of boxes you have on their site? If yours are the ones being recalled, I'm not sure what your best course of action would be. Maybe contact your doctor and ask for a refund? Hope your eyes are feeling better, that sounds miserable

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

I just put in my last two from the box I had a couple of days ago. I went threw the trash trying to find it. Trash pick up was yesterday so it was a lost effort. I threw the box away a few weeks ago. The pair I have in now seem to be ok. The last two pairs were the ones I had the problems with. Threw them away earlier than needed because they were such a bother. I didn't think much of it at the time. I am so glad it wasn't worse!
They really need to tell people these things, those could have made me blind or something, I would have never have known they were problem ya know.

top topics

join