It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube SpaceLab - Your experiment, 250 miles above Earth, for the world to see. What will you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Noticed this on the front page of Google this morning. Thought it was a pretty cool idea.

YouTube and Lenovo are hosting a contest to see what would basically be the ultimate science experiment in space. The selected experiment will be performed on the International Space Station and live-streamed on YouTube, and they'll be giving out some prizes. (Note: If you plan to submit an idea, the deadline would be December 13th)

I'm not usually big on this topic, but I know many of you guys are, so I thought I'd share. This thread can serve as a cool place to refine and discuss some ideas, or share submissions as well. I'm really curious what ATS can come up with, given that we've got ourselves some pretty out-of-this-world thinkers here.

So... Your experiment, 250 miles above Earth, for the world to see. What will you do?
edit on 10/11/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
I was going to make my own thread with the title "Infinite energy" as it was brought to my attention because of that page, but you beat me, so i'll just post here.

Test magnets in space and if possible, design a perpetual motion device using magnetic fields and electricity. You could build ships that in theory, could travel forever on energy that's being created by magnets.

I imagine the magnets could endlessly spin which you should be able to harness the energy like you would a dam, in zero gravity I wonder how it would effect the ability of the magnets to spin endlessly, if at all.

yourmaker74 1 hour ago 32
(
)

to which the replies I received;

"@yourmaker74 You don't need magnets for perpetual motion in space. You cannot harvest energy from a perpetual motion device - it only has enough to keep itself going at the rate it is going at."

"@yourmaker74 infinite energy doesnt exist

"@yourmaker74 ur jokin right "

People don't like the idea you can get something from nothing. I was going to reply to one guy with something like, "the earth was flat, the sun was god" One guy accused me of stealing the idea from mythbusters.
I've never watched more then a minute of that show.

The whole point of it was to think outside the box, something not real, barely possible, right?
I tried to think of something off the top of my head when I initially posted. What would I really want tried in space?

Magnets. Electricity, someway to combine the two.
My mind lately, despite what everyone has been telling me, is that if you can feed off a perpetual motion device, you could probably charge bigger and stronger generators, which could charge off bigger and stronger generators x1000. You could run propulsion systems, life support, everything off that for a huge ship.
No fuel necessary.
but how would the magnets work, what size? giant magnets? a million small magnets? at the corners of the ship?
in an engine room? so many variables, and i'm just a musician, so tell me why it won't work.

edit on 11-10-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Funny, my first thought for a submission would have been something involving energy... Though, I highly doubt they'll choose anything with any real merit - they'll likely just choose something with 'visual' appeal. But that doesn't have to stop us from discussing the topic knowing this. I'm pretty interesting in seeing where this one goes, especially regarding the subject of creating energy.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Ahh... A search engine that finds what you query and not what someone pays them to thrust at you.

But sadly, I doubt even the lack of gravity in space would stop google sucking.

edit on 11/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: I appear to be making more and more typos of late, and simply cannot grasp wy it hapenings..

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
Ahh... A search engine that finds what you query and not what someone pays them to thrust at you.

edit on 11/10/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: I appear to be making more and more typos of late, and simply cannot grasp wy it hapenings..

The topic at hand is a science experiment carried out via the ISS. Feel free to keep it relevant

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Is it weird that my first thought was "sex in space?" Has that been done? I am not sure if there is a whole lot to learn there biologically speaking, but it would have, how did you put it, visual appeal!!!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JiggyPotamus
Is it weird that my first thought was "sex in space?" Has that been done? I am not sure if there is a whole lot to learn there biologically speaking, but it would have, how did you put it, visual appeal!!!

Trust me. I'm sure it has been done by NASA. I even asked a question on NASA's website but never received any response

I had always wondered the same. After all, Sex sells. It will boost the traffic on YOUTUBE and NASA along with Publicity and possibly a PAY PER VIEW event for the desperate funding that NASA can use

edit on 11-10-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2011 by hp1229 because: add content

edit on 11-10-2011 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I thought it was a cool idea for YouTube. I entered an address to "blast off" from and it was spot on thanks to Google Earths mapping. Defiantly a neat idea.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I would like to see a device constructed which has the capacity to skate a vehicle on the magnetosphere, using electromagnetic energy repulsors of some sort to maintain position and orbit, rather than using gas jets.

Also I would LOVE to see if its possible to use the fluxes and energy exchanges caused by solar storm interaction with the magnetosphere to boost the power of a craft, rather than fearing that the energy from it will destroy a craft. There is apparantly magnetic shielding being developed for space vehicles at the moment, but I would love to see a craft that not only survives such things, but benifits from them.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondPerception

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

The topic at hand is a science experiment carried out via the ISS. Feel free to keep it relevant

Okey dokey, it was about google no?

Silly mkoi.

top topics

join