It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive prehistoric monument under the water of the Stenness Loch?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
There seems to be a lot of mans ancient heritage that is now coming to the surface.
The Faroe Islands have been discussed as the origins (substantiated by DNA) of the great Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt.
England is rich with ancient history, and gives us Stonehedge.

Ireland gives us the Uragh Stone Circle

, and the Céide Fields, preserved beneath a blanket of peat in present-day County Mayo, is an extensive field system, arguably the oldest in the world.

South of the Faroe Islands, and North of England is Scotland. And this is where our story unfolds.
Sigurd Towrie wrote this article and posted it in the Orkney Archaeology News.
“Survey work in the Loch of Stenness has revealed what could be a massive prehistoric monument lying underwater to the south of the Ring of Brodgar.
The underwater “anomaly” has come to light in a project looking at prehistoric sea level change in Orkney. “

( The preliminary remote sensing results of the loch bed around the Ring of Brodgar (visible at the top of the picture, centre). The large, circular ‘anomaly’ is boxed in white. (Images: The Rising Tide project) )

Caroline Wickham-Jones, Orkney-based archaeologist, states, “The preliminary results from the high-resolution geophysical sensing are suggesting that there is an unusual ‘object’ in the shallow water just off the shore, but more work is needed before we can identify it or even confirm whether it is a natural, perhaps geological, feature, or something man-made.”

( An enlargement of the circular anomaly on the bottom of the loch. )

The stone circles in Stenness, were built by prehistoric Orcadians. Back then the sea would have been about 3 to 4 feet below what it is now and the topography would have been much different to what it is today.
This mass of salt water around Orkney reached its present level about 4000 years ago.
At the Brig o’ Waithe, there is a rock “lip” which held the sea back, there by slowing down the rising water in the Loch of Stenness.
Lower sea levels, during the middle of the Stone Age, meant that the Flow comprised a large land-locked bay, open to the sea at the south.
This area provided the Orcadians to flourish as hunter-gathers, and the research is starting to identify areas where sites may have existed.
You can read more at:

www.orkneyjar.com...

edit on 11-10-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I firmly believe that a lot of man's technology and knowledge has been lost over time. I find these stores fascinating, and I can't wait for the next discovery. It's like Christmas all over again! Great post.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3
I firmly believe that a lot of man's technology and knowledge has been lost over time. I find these stores fascinating, and I can't wait for the next discovery. It's like Christmas all over again! Great post.

Thank you.
The mysteries like the The Baghdad Battery.
www.world-mysteries.com...
In 1936, while excavating ruins of a 2000-year-old village near Baghdad, workers discovered mysterious small vase. A 6-inch-high pot of bright yellow clay dating back two millennia contained a cylinder of sheet-copper 5 inches by 1.5 inches. The edge of the copper cylinder was soldered with a 60-40 lead-tin alloy comparable to today's solder. The bottom of the cylinder was capped with a crimped-in copper disk and sealed with bitumen or asphalt. Another insulating layer of asphalt sealed the top and also held in place an iron rod suspended into the center of the copper cylinder. The rod showed evidence of having been corroded with an acidic agent.

I fear that we may soon reach a terminus, and all of this will start over.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Great post.
There's a large number of 'lost cities', temples, monuments, and structures now buried off shore in coastal regions around the globe. A few of the more prominent exciting discoveries are happening in India.

Most of early civilized prehistory human culture was located in coastal and river delta regions. Over the last 10,000 years, these very areas have been long under water, flooded after the retreat of glaciation worldwide increased sea levels many many meters higher.

It's only recently that archaeologiests armed with new equipment can find the buried remains of these lost and flooded habitations, structures and cities.

10 years from now and there will certainly be a number of even more fantastic discoveries.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

splendid post op. ancient structures within the loch got me thinking that this is a result of post ice age activity.
being underwater for so long and undiscovered add to the intrigue on this. starred and flagged ya.
regards fakedirt.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1

Originally posted by navy_vet_stg3

I fear that we may soon reach a terminus, and all of this will start over.

That is exactly how I feel and view our 'ancient' history.
Excellent thread.....lovely when these sort of topics crop up on ATS.....it doesn't always have to be about conspiracy, but mystery!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I visited Orkney 2 years ago and the whole place is awash with Neolithic monuments, im surprised they havent found more.
Too stand in the middle of The Ring of Brodgar is a truly awesome experience

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Not really possible to speculate from the anomay what it might be - and it could even be natural. But most likely a neolithic structure contemperous with the Ring of Brodgar. Certainly not a lost city!

Not sure where the reference to the Faroes and Pharoahs came from but the god kings of Egypt no more came from a small group of North Atlantic islands than chillies came from Chile.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I too have been to Orkney numerous times, to me it is the most magical place on the entire planet.

The Standing Stones of Stenness
Ring of Brodgar
The Knap of Howar
Skara Brae
The Tomb of Eagles
- To name a few all dating back from 3000-BC or further. I took a walk around one of the small islands and swear I could possibly have found two or three possible burial mounds. You see alot of them scattered around that have been untouched for the archaeologists of the future.

I'd love to live there but I fear I would get nothing done

Unhealthy obsession is the word we are looking for here.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Excellent post!
If you get the chance, watch the Time Team Special No.31 - Britain's Drowned World.
The remnants we find on land are nothing compared to what could lie under the North Sea and under the English Channel - both of which were once perfect grazing land before they were flooded
Did you know that the Gauls, and other northern european tribes, believed that when they died their souls were ferried over to England? The Romans were terrified of Britain because of its renowned mystique.
And then there's the druids and the Greeks and the Egyptians. No one has ever explained why the druids were wiped out en masse...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The Chislehurst caves are attributed to the druids too. They run for hundreds of miles and are hand carved. Nobody has ever been able to explain why they were built. The druids left a lot of mysteries.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Haha Thorsbrother are you my long lost identical twin !

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aestheteka
And then there's the druids and the Greeks and the Egyptians. No one has ever explained why the druids were wiped out en masse...

OT but I think the Romans disliked them

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Lovely thread but may I ask what DNA evidence points towards the Pharoahs originating in the Pharoah islands

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hic sunt dracones

A pleasure to meet your acquaintance bro!

What was the best part of your visit, except The Ring?

The ale perhaps? Definitely not the weather unless you went for the one week in July where its warm

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hic sunt dracones
I visited Orkney 2 years ago and the whole place is awash with Neolithic monuments, im surprised they havent found more.
Too stand in the middle of The Ring of Brodgar is a truly awesome experience

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.
Thee Ring of Brodger can be seen in the first photo of the Stenness Loch.
Standing there, must have been an awesome experience.
*'s 4 all

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by druid1
Lovely thread but may I ask what DNA evidence points towards the Pharoahs originating in the Pharoah islands

The DNA subject has been discussed here on ATS before.
However, these outside links , may provide you with some interesting reading.
www.thephora.net...
www.youthscientists.com...

Now for the opposing side, there is this site:
wn.com...
Thank you for your interest.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The Orkneys are magical and full of ancient monuments many of which have not been excavated and date back 5000 years possibly older than the pyramids.

What makes the landscape unique is that these monuments have remained in situ because they haven't been built on and absorbed into settlements.

If you visit the stones you can also see there surely must have been a relationship between the stone circles and other monuments in some places. I heard a theory a while ago about Stonehenge... that there were usually 2 stone circles.. a place of the living and a place for the dead in pagan worship. To me this makes a lot of sense.

One of my best friends lived in the Orkneys for a while & I stayed with them quite a bit. I now have friends on the Islands and it's just a magical place to visit.
edit on 11-10-2011 by JB1234 because: Grammar and word ommission

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

The haplogroup R1b originated in Eurasia around 9000 years ago. It's still present in Africa today.
It certainly doesn't prove that Egyptian kings came from the Faroe islands.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

The haplogroup R1b originated in Eurasia around 9000 years ago. It's still present in Africa today.
It certainly doesn't prove that Egyptian kings came from the Faroe islands.

Don't know mate, I wasn't around back then.
Here's the ATS thread that discusses it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join