It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Men Arrested in NYC Bomb Plot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Ok, now normaly I believe that government is on top of things, but this is bad. When I first started to read it, I thought "typical". But then this quote caught my eye:

The men had been under police surveillance and had discussed placing explosives at the Herald Square subway station and stations at 42nd and 59th streets, Kelly said. The men never obtained explosives, he said.

The last sentence starts to get my attention. Then this:

�It was clear that they had the intention to cause damage, to kill people,� Kelly said. �They did not immediately have the means to do it.�

Huh?

Now read the article here then come back and continue reading this.

Ok , now is it just me, or does this seem wrong. I mean, 2 guys walking around checking out stuff and talking about blowing it up, and hating america. Well, to me that sounds like most 16-25 year olds running now. Can we arrest people for talking about it to themselves? Is this how far its come?

Dont misunderstand me. If their actions were noticed, maybe a closer eye should be kept on them for a bit to make sure things are on the up and up with them. But arrest them? For what? Is this what the Patriot Act allows? Does anyone else think this is a case of overkill? Have we lost our right to privacy completly?

[edit on 29-8-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Maybe this is normal where you live sublime, but most people where I live would find it highly suspicious!

I don't think we can risk ignoring this type of stuff.

Maybe if someone had been paying more attention in Colorado, Columbine could have been prevented.

Rokgodes

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Maybe I missed my point. It is this. Where do we draw the line. While hating America and walking around talking about blowing stuff up isnt exactly "normal" behavior to all, is it a crime?

I could be way off here. The cops might have a massive amount of stuff on these guys, and if they do, GREAT. But if all these guys are guilty of is having a dissenting point of view, a vivid imagination and to much time on their hands, can we arrest them now? It seems like they might be getting a little carried away here.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Looks like CNN doesnt want to touch this thing..oh wel....liberal media my a_s

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Talking and planning precedes action....who knows if they would've done this deed. Better safe than sorry.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
NO !!!!!! You can talk about whatever you like, it is still a free country. What you cant do, is act on it. I think things are getting out of hand now. I mean, you can be arrested for hating america, essentially. The times, they are-a changing.....

[edit on 29-8-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
sublime4372

This is susposed to be a free country, and we do have more freedoms than some countries. With each new disaster new laws are created...the result being more loss of our freedoms. Threats against lives or threatening to blow things up are investigated...terriorist activities..... 9/11 changed the scene.

You are correct.... things have changed. And sad, but most likely will only get worse. I don't see a turning back point. Do you.??

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Thats what I'm saying. I mean the reason this bothers me so much is that when I was younger, we used to do just that same thing. (kind of)
My friends and I were little anarchists who hated authority and would always be talking about blowing up this or killing this person or that one. Whatever. Its stupid now in retrospect, but back in the day, deep down, we knew we wouldnt actually do it. We were doing it cause we were such non-conformists...lol oh well, im off topic here..

Anyrate, all I am saying, is calm down people. Police? -->INVESTIGATE ...Now again, I could be wrong. Cops may have a bunch of stuff on these guys that we dont know about. But from the sounds of that article, I doubt it. More likely that they will detain them untill the convention is over or send them down to GITMO with all the other "enemy combatents" its a sad day for freedom my friends..

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rokgodes
Maybe this is normal where you live sublime, but most people where I live would find it highly suspicious!

I don't think we can risk ignoring this type of stuff.

Maybe if someone had been paying more attention in Colorado, Columbine could have been prevented.

Rokgodes

Metal detectors Security Guards and locked doors could have prevented Columbine. Also, not selling ammunition to the public without any sort of regulation would have prevented it.

top topics

join