It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fungus to wipe out bananas in Phillipines!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Fungus to wipe out bananas in Phillipines!

www.rawstory.com

A disease that has ravaged banana plantations across Southeast Asia could wipe out the Philippine industry in three years unless the government finds a cure, a growers’ group warned Monday.

The disease, called Fusarium wilt, is caused by a fast-spreading fungus that kills the plant, said Stephen Antig, executive director of the Pilipino Banana Growers and Exporters Association.

“So far, it has already infected 1,200 hectares (2,950 acres) of banana plantations locally,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org
www.extento.hawaii.edu

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
The Phillipines is the second largest exporter of bananas in the world. Will this also devastate the Phillipine economy because banana production accounts for a lot of theri employment ? I wonder if this is a new variant of the fungus that has evolved?

"From Wikipedia, "Importance
Because F. oxysporum is so widespread, it is a significant problem in many crops. It is economically damaging to the banana industry, and the threat of more virulent strains or mutations to damage previously resistant crops is of major concern. F. oxysporum also causes damage to many crops from the Solanaceae family, including potato, tomato, and pepper."

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by fnpmitchreturns

That will be devastating for the Philippines..and will sky rocket the price of bananas..which is a crime in itself..considering it is such a healthy inexpensive fruit.

That is not good news at all....and they need to do something about it...fast!!

The conspiracy side of my brain feels like this was planned...really hope that isn't the case..
..and it probably wasn't.

Now the owners that run the good banana plantations can make a killing for what they have... but something tells me that hard manual labor that these owners rely on, won't see any of the extra profit.
edit on 10-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

I found this website and I think it would be a good idea to
start now...in case this threat spreads.

theprudenthomemaker.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

thanks for the link mamabeth..great idea..

new topics

top topics

join