It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of jobs, but no lack of internships?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
This quote says it all:

According to statistics from the National Association for Colleges and Employers, the number of students at four-year colleges who took internships increased from nine percent to more than 80 percent between 1992 and 2008. Once the economy crashed, and a paying job became a luxury rather than a fact of life, many jobs were re-packaged as internships, promising experience and career connections in exchange for free labor.

source

Corporate greed, or is it really necessary? What say you ATS?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
only take a paid internship!

unpaid internships we should boycott

they should be illegal

slave labor!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
As P.T. Barnum famously remarked:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

When one considers the vast amounts of money, and human resources in the way of time and effort, needed to graduate with a college degree, and when considers that all this time, effort, and money has been spent on the strategy of gaining a job upon graduation, it should be no surprise that the fools who were soon parted with their money are seen as such, and treated with the respect such a station deserves.

Before the lamb is slaughtered, it is cared for, fed and raised lovingly, and educated in an edifice, before being marched off to die. How it was too difficult for college level students to understand they were the herd that would silently march towards their sacrifice, I will never understand. It was only a matter of time that from this silence of the lambs, we would see an eruption of outcry in the form of hopeless protest.

Like the lamb who angrily demands his right to be shepherded, the college graduate bleats for jobs.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

You do not think free education provided by united states corporations to the citizens of India in New Delhi have anything to do with it?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Internships provide much needed experience to many college students who have little or absolutely no work history at all. Get a good internship, work your butt off, impress somebody and you may just land a solid job with a solid future. You have to start somewhere in a competitive market. Even if its the mail room. Get your foot in the door.

I was not hired by the firm that hosted my internship many moons ago. However, the recommendations I received and the contacts given to me helped me land my first true career building job.

Don't expect to graduate and walk into your perfect job making $80k or more right away. Nothing wrong with working for your reward!! You are not owed anything just because you went to college and graduated. Whoop dee Doo. Congratulations! Now grab a broom and make me a cup of coffee after you collate and file this stack on my desk. Don't forget to cancel my 2:30 with Obama...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

You do not think free education provided by united states corporations to the citizens of India in New Delhi have anything to do with it?

I think the "free education" (read: indoctrination program) provided by each of the states within the United States to its own People has everything to do with it. I think from the 1st grade on children are trained how to function under corporatism. Children are lied to and told that this corporatism is a "free market system", and they are taught that they are free because tyrants permit it, and in their grand magnanimosity, they gave us all "civil rights", and the children are all taught to genuflect and bow to the sacred cow of "civil rights", and whisper prayers of gratitude to the saints of "civil rights", like Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Martin Luther King.

I think long before "outsourcing", the silent American lambs were content to mindlessly graze upon the propaganda they were fed, and at the end of their college career, and upon receipt of credentials, demand to be treated as wise, so it is difficult for them to see their foolishness now.

I criticize the American People's willingness to sacrifice the American Dream of being the man in exchange for security and the only price was working for the man. I criticize this sacrifice, and you ask if I don't think your precious job might still be your precious jobs if it weren't for them thar Indians?

You don't think that at least some of the American People could, instead of whining about no jobs, take advantage of them thar Indians over there in that strange land who seem so willing to work for so damn cheap and start their own damn businesses using the cheap labor of them thar Indians?

Sure, go ahead and lecture me about how not everyone wants to, or can, start their own business, but just because some do not want to, or cannot, doesn't mean that an entire educational system should be designed solely to train People to be employees, nor does it mean that the "laborer" gets to impose a whole ridiculous set of rules and regulations on business to "protect" the "laborer".

Just as no one is forcing you to go into business for yourself, no one is forcing you to be an employee either, and whatever struggles you may, or may not be going through, it really has nothing at all to do with them thar Indians.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Ive used interns a few years ago.
I was asked by students to particpate in the internship program at a local college, and offerd a low level job to students in exchange for college course credit.
( I published a minor print magazine for a while).
I never hired any interns, but believe me, they got MUCH more eye opening insight helping me than they ever would at a min wage entry level job at a major publication.
If they chose to pursue a career in print, they knew the entire business.

Now, had I had an internship when I founded that magazine, it would have probably save me a TON of back breaking work.
( in fact I probably wouldn't have taken that path.)

top topics

join