It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland's Mysterious Crooked Forest: Pictures!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

Has anybody ever entertained the idea of a sink hole type event? Sink holes happen when soluble minerals in the soil are washed away by rain water creating a void. I'm certainly no expert but hear me out. Lets say those trees were on the flank of a steep hill. And under that hill a sink hole formed. Now that hill collapses and fills tho hole under it making a feild of trees lying down. Now, due to the root systen of those trees, the soil keeps it's integrity explaining why the groung is in good shape. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. Is that possible? Maybe someone who knows more more about this stuff can fill us in.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thanks to all for the replies!

I love the humor, it truly made me want to ask to have this moved to the Jokes and Puns section!

Also, I realized I forgot to add the link, so here it is:
Linky

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R

Has anybody ever entertained the idea of a sink hole type event? Sink holes happen when soluble minerals in the soil are washed away by rain water creating a void. I'm certainly no expert but hear me out. Lets say those trees were on the flank of a steep hill. And under that hill a sink hole formed. Now that hill collapses and fills tho hole under it making a feild of trees lying down. Now, due to the root systen of those trees, the soil keeps it's integrity explaining why the groung is in good shape. Just an idea I'm throwing out there. Is that possible? Maybe someone who knows more more about this stuff can fill us in.

Very interesting take, but like you i am no expert. BUT if there was a sinkhole under the hill. There would be something left of said hill. To best suit this example wouldnt the bottom of the void have to be flat(ish)?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Hey, the most popular theory for this forest, is that trees were bended by people (sort of like bonzai trees), to make them more easy to use in carpentry and boat-making. It's actually more than theory ;].
The way it was done, was by cutting the tip of a tree, so one of branches was becoming the trunk. Those are only pine-trees, noticably.
Trees are planted in very mannered fashion, there's appx 400 of them, in 24 rows, 125 cm apart from each other. They're about 70 years old, with mutilation made when they were about 10-12 years old.

No mystery here, but very interesting national heritage site.
edit on 11-10-2011 by stainlesssteelrat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Great images OP.

It seems this maybe the result of intentional tree manipulation. Please note the similar habit of the bark growth on your 1st and 3rd image at the point of the shift in growth direction, then compare it to the image below and the tree's lower left hand shift in growth direction.

.... click to enlarge.

This can be achieved by cutting out a gusset without fully severing the trunk, bending it over and effectively grafting it back together at the sappling/juvenile stage of growth.

Why they did it....??

Prank I guess

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This is all because of Tanks.

In WWII lots of tanks and other heavy machines was driving over there. For some reason most of the trees that were not completely ripped off managed to survive and grow up again.

Thats why they are so curved... they were broken before.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

In woodworking, a knee is a curved piece of load-bearing wood that is often used to connect adjacent members at approximately right angles to one another. Knees are often used in the construction of wooden boats and ships, particularly as natural angle brackets to fasten the deck to the hull and to reinforce critical structural locations.The term "grown knees" refers to any knee which is made from a natural crook or bend in a tree.
en.wikipedia.org...(construction)

Pine is a soft wood , and is not the most suitable wood for making framing knees .
..... but that's what they look like

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It looks almost like early experimental work of Axel Erlandson.

Axel Erlanson Wiki

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Oh wow, that is like truly weird.

So the roots of the trees aren't even in the ground? Totally odd.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tharsis
The tree tops could have been cut off leaving the lowest branch to regrow into the next trunk.

The trees could have been damaged intentionally and bent over allowing the tree to repair itself and grow as best it could.

The tree could have been trained toward the ground for a short time until the trunk started to harden, then released.

The first of my possibilities could actually serve a purpose in that you'd get wood and the tree would survive and grow still. The other two would require a more clandestine motivation. Perhaps art, perhaps for the oddity effect.

edit: the angle of where the bend occurs tells me that this was done intentionally by humans.
edit on 10/10/11 by Tharsis because: (no reason given)
Best hypothesis so far IMO.
Plus, you can see where the main trunk was cut off when the tree was very young. After that had occurred, plant hormones (auxins) caused the branch left uncut to grow from a horizontal position to the vertical, resulting in the curved 'trunk'.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Yeah if my opinion counts for anything, i would say it is a piece of art, something out of the ordinary.
especially seeing as there are only 400 tree's there, one would not expect them to be this way for any kind of manufacturing purpose, as some have suggested.

also as for the idea that it would make hunting easier, I would also have to disagree with that notion also. It is a small woodland, there is not likely to be much large animals, certainly not worth hunting. to add to that, the trunks would actually hinder hunting as any animals could easily dart behind the trunks providing cover from any rifle shots.

so. to sum it up
* these trees are not this way to aid the construction of anything.
* these trees are not to designed to aid in the task of hunting.

Simple common sense will tell you that. I'm not sure as to there final purpose, but nonetheless it is definitively intriguing, and holds a mystery.
Good luck if anyone can find the reason for this.
My bets are on a Bizarre kind of art/sculpture.

Good day to you all.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What if the benders wanted to make a forest that looked unnatural so they could build a theocracy based on the forest?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Do you people understand, its not natural forest? Its only 70 years old, and trees are positioned in a grid with 24 rows, with same spacing.

We can guess what those trees were suppose to be used for, but they were DEFINITELY planted by human hand.
Not tanks either, for reasons quite obvious.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Can't see the wood for the trees lol

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I am eating polish shrimp right now---cheese curls.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Maybe covered with dirt or something so when they began to grow they had to go that way etc.

What way are the curves facing again? To the south?

Anyway, the dirt or whatever eventually went away and back up they went.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Ship or boat building timbers known as compass timbers.

Some brief comment should be made here regarding the material from which the ships were made, the preferences held by some shipwrights, how it was cut and formed, and it's bulk measurement and quality. To the extent possible natural bends in wood were used for "knees" and angle-like ship's timbers. The preference in English shipyards for oak and the preference for natural strength over that of "fasteded" timbers led to this usage. Oaks from the areas of Northern Europe were fine for the development of long straight planking, but the gnarled English "Hedgerow" Oak was the best for the natural curved timbers used to strengthen the ship internally. Trees were even deliberately bent in certain ways so as to " grow" a needed set of curved timbers. These curved timbers were known as "compass" timbers.

ship timber

Mention of growing compass timber for the US Navy

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They're trying to get to the nearest Apple store so they can wait in line for the iPhone4S but their roots are holding them back. Never underestimate the power of the reality distortion field Steve left behind.

Actually that's really cool. I have never seen anything like that. I'd be curious to see it in person. Good find!
edit on 11-10-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: wording

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

If I look at the picture that was taken on high altitude it seems that the forrest is cultivated. You know, planted trees in nice rows. This can indicate that experiments with the trees had been taken place. Experiments like bending the young trees into shape and see what will happen with the properties of the wood.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This was definatly man made. If you look close at the bottom the bark grows in diferent directions. This is either due to cutting the tree at a angle and fusing or replanting on the angle. To get the curve wire should due and then once you get the curve you want you remove it. Sometimes the tree will devour the wire, this could most lkely help the durability of a bow or something if done correctly. Hense the angle corection towards the top. Would lke to know the age of the tree. The theory on furniture or bows is probably the closest to reality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join