It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poland's Mysterious Crooked Forest: Pictures!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Pressed enter too soon!
Not sure if its in the right thread or not. Full thread in a second.
edit on 10-10-2011 by isthisreallife because: (no reason given)

Saw this on Facebook thought it would be cool to share.

June 28, 2011 -- In a tiny corner of western Poland a forest of about 400 pine trees grow with a 90 degree bend at the base of their trunks - all bent northward. Surrounded by a larger forest of straight growing pine trees this collection of curved trees, or "Crooked Forest," is a mystery.

Planted around 1930, the trees managed to grow for seven to 10 years before getting held down, in what is understood to have been human mechanical intervention. Though why exactly the original tree farmers wanted so many crooked trees is unknown.

The part of the forest itself is in remote Poland, which leads me to be skeptical of the official story.

So what do you think?

The remoteness, and the sheer weirdness of the event made me put it under General Conspiracies.

Comments? Questions? Opinions?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
lol - premature entering!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
That would definitely make for easier hunting at ground level. Pretty ingenious.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
neat! Definately shows how resilient trees are, and how they will always find a way to thrive. Wonder why this was done. An art project maybe?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It could be that the farmers were experimenting in growing curved wood for it's strength? Perhaps a bowyer, carpenter or instrument maker employed them to do so?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

Maybe they were trying to break into the Swiss Alpine Horn market.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Looks like an arboretum auditorium! Perfect benches!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Nature-trolls, obviously. Trolls have been around long before the internet.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I was thinking natural rocker legs.

There's plenty I could do with trees growing like that.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Thats interesting. I know Native Americans bent trees toward water in order to point direction but this is way beyond that.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Maybe they should check what is in the soil or even sample the seeds from the trees. The researchers should find differences in in the seeds vs seeds from straight trees from the same genome. Tree DNA?

Peace to all

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ask what they might have used curved wood for in that area in the 1930's and you might find your answer maybe?
Would sure beat soaking it and then using vice and pressure to bend the wood a little.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
After seeing this thread, i spent a bit trying to find the article i was reading about it (Was in New Scientist from memory).

Pretty much there is no reason (scientific) as to why the trees grew in this direction, they are pretty much "normal" trees (due to a lack of a better term). It was theorized (in the article) the trees where grown for furniture so there would be less wood lost during the making of the curved elements.

Think of it this way, if the tree is "custom" grown with the curve, you could then make 3-4 legs/arms from one trunk instead of getting 1-2 from a trunk, thus increasing your output for little to no cost.

Again, and sadly i have no links to prove or disprove it. It most certainly is interesting thats for sure, and they look pretty fantastic.

Now for the outlandish theories i have read:
1. Nazis did it to confuse the allies.
2. A giant crop circle
3. Ghosts

I dunno, the NS (if it was that, i have had a few subs to stuff like this over my time, which i have discontinued most of them) theory seemed to make the most sense (and now the Native American one also makes sense which someone above me posted)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Maybe it was for making boats.?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
There is a place, not far from where I live, where a mysterious grove of trees grows unlike anywhere else. Your thread reminded me of it. I made this thread about it:

The Mystery of Crooked Bush, Saskatchewan.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2cbc9876115.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

maybe the river pushed through that area at different times and caused the bending

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The tree tops could have been cut off leaving the lowest branch to regrow into the next trunk.

The trees could have been damaged intentionally and bent over allowing the tree to repair itself and grow as best it could.

The tree could have been trained toward the ground for a short time until the trunk started to harden, then released.

The first of my possibilities could actually serve a purpose in that you'd get wood and the tree would survive and grow still. The other two would require a more clandestine motivation. Perhaps art, perhaps for the oddity effect.

edit: the angle of where the bend occurs tells me that this was done intentionally by humans.
edit on 10/10/11 by Tharsis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Ask what they might have used curved wood for in that area in the 1930's and you might find your answer maybe?
Would sure beat soaking it and then using vice and pressure to bend the wood a little.

actually, warping wood with steam is pretty easy... and fast.

MUCH faster and easier than waiting YEARS for a tree to grow with a bend.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by myselfaswell

Maybe they were trying to break into the Swiss Alpine Horn market.

Cheers

Or walking canes, but something happened and they never harvested them and now they're way too big? Well, and the entire region has amnesia about the whole history of it. I guess... LoL.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Native Americans used to do this all over the place. The tree is a pointer towards something of interest. Check this out: www.waymarking.com...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join