It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Revolver???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I like shooting as a hobby and my dad and i both have some guns. I have a .22 and a .410 shotgun. My dad has a Glock 19 and a S&W 357 revolver. I've been researching revolvers and i like single action more than double for range shooting. I really seem to be liking the Ruger vaquero platform. I want to get into cowboy action shooting and this gun seems like it would be good. A few calibers I am trying to find out more about is the 45 colt, .44, and the .41. Can you guys tell me anything about cowboy action shooting or these calibers?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

Smith and Wesson model 29 (.357) you aren't gonna find a better, more accurate handgun.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Why is this in survival....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConspiraCity
reply to post by Rebel21

Smith and Wesson model 29 (.357) you aren't gonna find a better, more accurate handgun.

Close! TheS&W "model 29" is and always has been an "N" frame.44magnum.since1957.

The Smith .357 "N' frame or "highway patrolman" was the model 27.

the blued "K" frame. 357 was the model19. Stainless"K" frame .357 is the model 66(adjustable sights or the model 65: fixed sights).
(Stainless smith model's all start with a # "6")
the heavier "L" frame was /is the model 586 in blue; 686 in stainless.

Hard to beat a.357 for versatility but full throttle magnum loads are ear shattering loud and do kick.
added:
Note: the "k" frames were designed around the .38 special when the.357model was introduced it was never intended they be fed a constant diet of full power .357 magnums( for the"k" frame guns)

.(Smith thought people wouldtypically shoot a few magnums and mostly use the cheaper lighter trusted.38special loads; Atypically some owners shot ONLY magnums.). "if you buy a used "k-frame "'gun :

first Open the cylinder and with a flashlight closely inspect the under sideof the frame top strap near the cylinder to frame gap above the"forcing cone" where the jet of hot gasses from the magnum loads can erode the metal. its called" flame cutting" and was the reason smith buil the heavier "L" frame models.
Just trying to help....

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: forgot the "model 65"

edit on 10-10-2011 by 46ACE because: added paragraph re: flamecutting problem in "k" frames.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Close...the "Highway Patrolman" was a model 28. Identical to the model 27 but without the fine finish.
It is still an "N" frame revolver though aka: the model 29 44 magnum. Just bought one a few days ago.
Beautiful gun.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Since im a kid "12 years old" ive been thinking 45 colt in a recoil perspective but i wonder how it does in the accuracy perspective. Does anybody else know?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gunsmoke38
reply to post by 46ACE

Close...the "Highway Patrolman" was a model 28. Identical to the model 27 but without the fine finish.
It is still an "N" frame revolver though aka: the model 29 44 magnum. Just bought one a few days ago.
Beautiful gun.

Dang! I think you 're correct .
Which model was the.41magnum?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rebel21
Since im a kid "12 years old" ive been thinking 45 colt in a recoil perspective but i wonder how it does in the accuracy perspective. Does anybody else know?

buddy had the .45 long colt(model 25 I think????) they were used for "paper punching"alot ( target shooting) Overshadowed by the29 for hunting. .45 lc is expensive to shoot factory loads though gotta' reload

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Close.

The model 19 issue was forcing cone cracks.

If your going to pick up a model 19 you need to get it from a smith who can magnaflux the forcing cone and then when it passes you should examine it for cracks at each cleaning.

Contrary to what the internet chatterboxes say it affected 1 or 2 per thousand.

Im sure Daddybare could quote exact figures. My memory is shot.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I did not know "that" (it was a forcing cone issue).
I stand corrected...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Take note of all of the previous posts. Everyone is right about their choice of weapon and calibers. It is ALWAYS up to the shooter to try some out and make a decision. I know I may get flamed for this, but I bought a Taurus Judge "Public Defender" and later, a larger grip from Taurus for it. I hate to bring this name up among "The Legends" but I love this gun. I keep four flavors in it, 410 #6 shot, 000 shot, rifled slug, and 2 .45 colts for extra effort. I love this pistol and kill all kinds of paper with it. Since we are in the survival forum, I highly recommend a versatile pistol like this. I just wish I had known that S&W made a better version before I bought this one. I shoot accurately with my Taurus and the groups aren't bad with 000 buck coming from a 2" barrel. The rifled slugs have the velocity close to a 9mm but are a little lite. And the Colts have the perfect recoil and is very manageable. So if you don't get one of the previously mentioned firearms, I would check out the new Smith or if on a budget, the Taurus. Good luck, but try it before you buy it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I like shooting as a hobby and my dad and i both have some guns. I have a .22 and a .410 shotgun. My dad has a Glock 19 and a S&W 357 revolver. I've been researching revolvers and i like single action more than double for range shooting. I really seem to be liking the Ruger vaquero platform. I want to get into cowboy action shooting and this gun seems like it would be good. A few calibers I am trying to find out more about is the 45 colt, .44, and the .41. Can you guys tell me anything about cowboy action shooting or these calibers?

If you are going into cowboy action shooting with the Vaquero, then 45 colt would most likely be the one.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

45 colt in an accurate round. It has some kick to it and ammo is high. Reload would help, cowboy shoots targets are what 25 yards, you can down load (use a manual) to give you more controled shots. Then load closer to factory for longer ranges..

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Gotta go ditto on the Vaquero if Cowboy Action is your game. Plus its just a damn cool gun that it made to modern tolerances. I really like the classic lines and "ivory" grips of the Bisley model.

You can grab it in .357 or .45 Colt. The .357 would give you some good versatility in that you can fire .38 special in it also. Cheaper and good for training and plinking. I say .357

Have Fun!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

I have a Vaquero 44 and it hits whatever i point it at, but I'm sure any modern firearm is as accurate as the human component behind it.
If you are set on a (SAO) cowboy gun I'd say a Vaquero is an excellent choice as they are affordable and easy to find.
Now for caliber, all you listed were pretty extreme for trick shooting, plinking, Etc.
But I'd say 44 mag would prolly serve you best if you do not reload, simply for price.
I reload just not 44's, my dad has the dies I just never got the time to gather my goodies and head to his place.
So if Ima shoot the single action I just buy a box of cci or whatever is cheapest.
Either way, get what feels best as you will be happy with what you like.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I carry (CCW) a S & W .357 Magnum with 150 grain hollow points. Changed the wood handgrip to a rubber one. Easier to carry and hold while firing. At least, for me.

It is kinda heavy, and as I get older, Im thinking of lightening-up to something else.
edit on 10-10-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I use a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 for cowboy action shooting. It's great. Less recoil and cheaper ammunition than .45 long.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I've shot two revolvers in my life. I prefer the Ruger .32/9 mil combo my grandfather has. It fires smoothly and has little kickback.

The other one he had was a snub nose something or other can't remember. That thing felt like the F*ing finger of god. I didn't like the kickback though. I'm bit of wuss when it comes to recoil.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Star for you bob: recoil is an issue I shoot a(govt. 5").45acp 1911and a 4" .38special k frame instead of the.357 though I may buy another...someday(??).some kind of magic physics in that engraved word"magnum"

To me:

standard velocity loads in.45acp are more of a push or shove:
.357 Magnum loads always feel like a sharp "rap" or "crack"with a broomstick to the palm in the hand.(pain)

. My .38 is an aluminum framed round butt k frame (6shot) "air weight" on the barrel (model12-2) hand me down. I wouldn't volunteer to stand in front of it even though it's"only" a .38 special. carries like a dream.has a satisfying thump in the hand but is really controllable.

edit on 11-10-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Rebel21

First of all im shocked that a 12 year old can own a Gun, pretty messed up, but to be fair I would have liked to have one when I was twelve.

Secondly, this is the Survival forum my 12 year old friend, you should be posting threads that are specifically about weapons in the weapons forum, but we always like to know about the best survival weapons over here in Survival so feel free to share if you have any knowledge in that area.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join