It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Actress to be lashed over Aussie film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Actress to be flogged for Austalian film

www.stuff.co.nz

Ms Vafamehr, who appears in the movie without a hijab and with a shaved head, was first arrested in Tehran in July after the film was heavily criticised by Iran's conservative commentators. Iranian authorities have not released details of the charges against her.

Iran's Fars news agency said the film had not been approved for screening in Iran and was being distributed illegally.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on Mon Oct 10 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: match title to source title

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Note this is IRAN - not Australia.....but I have to copy the actual headline.

So yet again the Iranians show how wonderful life would be under their brand of Islam.

I don't think anyone is surprised anymore that various islamic entities (countries, organisations) are so severely repressive of any sort of criticism - what most in "the west" consider to be a freedom of speech issue.

Is this islamophobia? Maybe - but IMO there are damned good reasons to be afraid of islam!

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I just read this myself on yahoo news. It seems that the truth hurts Iran, so they decided to hurt anyone they could get their hands on that managed to get the word out. Unfortunately they were able to get a hold of this woman. I can only hope that the international community might be able to pull some leverage. This is sickening.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
What an incredibly beautiful brave woman. She has my prayers and support. She is a TRUE LIGHT IN THIS WORLD.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Actress to be flogged for Austalian film

This is a little hasty IMO...

They should wait to see what kind of numbers come back from the box-office first...if it bombs, yes, she should be flogged or at least forced to do a walk-about while wearing a veil made of concrete.

But, only time (and ticket sales!) will tell...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Is this islamophobia? Maybe - but IMO there are damned good reasons to be afraid of islam!

Not Islamophobia, not any reason to be afraid of Islam. It is a da%($d good reason not to let spiritual leaders or doctrine run a government, ever.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

As Unity_99 says, she is an incredibly beautifully brave woman.

When I read that she emigrated to Australia with her family in 1997, I thought, "Why on earth would she go back after the film was released?!" ...Then I realized - she had to, to make the point.

Brave.

Good find. S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

That movie looks good. It's ironic that the kind of actions Iran is taking against the woman appear to be exactly what the film is shedding light on.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

When I read that she emigrated to Australia with her family in 1997, I thought, "Why on earth would she go back after the film was released?!" ...Then I realized - she had to, to make the point.

Brave.

Good find. S&F

I think she made the point when she made the film. Going back was flaunting it and asking for trouble. I'm not saying she deserved to be flogged no way in hell, but she should have known better. What did she think would be the reaction? She must have suspected something like this would happen. Now if they do flog her she may have marks on her body that would hurt her acting carrier. not a smart move.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Brave.

Good find. S&F

I think she made the point when she made the film. Going back was flaunting it and asking for trouble. I'm not saying she deserved to be flogged no way in hell, but she should have known better. What did she think would be the reaction? She must have suspected something like this would happen. Now if they do flog her she may have marks on her body that would hurt her acting carrier. not a smart move.

I don't think so. What would just making the movie have proved? Nothing. Iran only makes changes when pressure from the international community is brought upon them. So, she had to go back to make her point, force Iran's hand, knowing full well that the consequences would not be pleasant. She had to make the world aware of yet another human rights violation carried out by the theocracy.

And she has no need to worry about the scars that will remain. They will only serve to make her acting star rise meteorically.
edit on 10-10-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
You know, SOME of the Islamic community in Australia SOMETIMES carries on like this IN Australia......
They get into tons of trouble for doing it though.

Theres a fundamental difference between America and Australia (to the best of my knowledge) I would hazzard a guess that you don't often see Islamic women in America walking about 10 paces away from the Male members of their household covered head to toe in the whole head and body covering thing.

You see it here often enough.

Sometimes i'm afraid to smile and nod a hello to Islamic women incase i get them into trouble! whenever i have they've had this look in their eyes like THEY are afriad. But we try not to impose our culture on them too harshly... I don't know it's all very messy, the whole situation.

Do some research into the whole Extreme side of Islamic culture, it's messed up. The laws seem to be about Not trusting Men to behave like anything other then animals while at the same time they are trusted, It's all contradictory.

The emphasis seems to be on the concept that all men are horny animals and all women have no self control.... it's all about no one having the option of excercising any self control.

We had a Mufti here in Australia that went public with all sorts of ridiculous comments, one of which was that Australian women are asking to be raped because they go around dressed like 'Plates of meat' (in this sicko's words)

Theocracy is soo very bad, be it Islam, Catholic, Christian or whatever.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Brave.

Good find. S&F

Its often not like that. People are often concerned with others, and get lured into dangerous situations to help others. We don't know the situation but situations like this occur often.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Where's Austalia? Oh you mean Australia

Seriously now. Where's the human rights people? Where's the U.N? It is a hostile religion and the fact that western governments all over the world tolerate it says to them to go ahead. This is why even in our own backyards they believe they have the right to do as they wish.
edit on 11-10-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raivan31
You know, SOME of the Islamic community in Australia SOMETIMES carries on like this IN Australia......
They get into tons of trouble for doing it though.

Theres a fundamental difference between America and Australia (to the best of my knowledge) I would hazzard a guess that you don't often see Islamic women in America walking about 10 paces away from the Male members of their household covered head to toe in the whole head and body covering thing.

You see it here often enough.

Sometimes i'm afraid to smile and nod a hello to Islamic women incase i get them into trouble! whenever i have they've had this look in their eyes like THEY are afriad. But we try not to impose our culture on them too harshly... I don't know it's all very messy, the whole situation.

Do some research into the whole Extreme side of Islamic culture, it's messed up. The laws seem to be about Not trusting Men to behave like anything other then animals while at the same time they are trusted, It's all contradictory.

The emphasis seems to be on the concept that all men are horny animals and all women have no self control.... it's all about no one having the option of excercising any self control.

We had a Mufti here in Australia that went public with all sorts of ridiculous comments, one of which was that Australian women are asking to be raped because they go around dressed like 'Plates of meat' (in this sicko's words)

Theocracy is soo very bad, be it Islam, Catholic, Christian or whatever.

I used to be a City Ranger with a council. If we had to go to a house for some reason and if the person who opened the door was a woman in a burka we had to ask for the husband. That was in our SOP's. It only encourages them to stick to their dark age mentality.

This went against everything I had been raised to believe and it happens in my own country. Australian culture be damned is the official policy
edit on 11-10-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The poor girl is lucky she isn't getting stoned.
Amnesty International will be all over it like a rash. I applaud this brave girl in her plight for bringing the sick injustices against Iranian women to light. She must have known before she embarked on this project what fates were likely to befall her.

I'll post this in case some people have not yet seen the film. I warn you it is graphic, but the more people are made aware of the vileness that lurks around every corner for the women of Iran the better.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

You probably mean career (not smart spelling)
Outstanding human beings are the ones that don't do rational things for the sake of their career. Every potential mark on her body elevates her above us mere cowardly mortals and inspires positive change in the world. It is all too easy to disregard the misogyny that is all too pervasive in religious societies and capitalist exploitative mindsets. She is the bravest and strongest of humans. I bow to her humanity and bravery.

Are you a christian?
Maybe going to Jerusalem at passover wasn't the best career move Jesus could have taken? Did it hurt his career? Would you have dissuaded him ?
I am Atheist, but I do hope that we are all sparks of the divine eternal universe and I respect my fellow human beings who rise above the mire that society/religion wishes to bog us down in.

Shikin Harimitsu Dai komyo. (phonetically speaking)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I warn you it is graphic.

Wow, that's some Old Testament justice.

That actress went all New Testament with her return.

Maybe if we got religion out of our lives, it wouldn't be part of government. There will still be abusive, controlling, manipulative people. Perhaps if they are no longer divine, we can confront them without fear. Superstition is a tool for manipulation and a hindrance to our social evolution.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Is this islamophobia?

No. Iran has a totalitarian government that wraps itself in the "hijab" of religion. Theocracies are no different than Fascism.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

No. Iran has a totalitarian government that wraps itself in the "hijab" of religion. Theocracies are no different than Fascism.

Ahh but if I mentioned another country in the region that is a theocracy that wraps itself with religion, and likes to persecute women as well, falling short of stoning them (depending on which side of the fence they are from) i'd be an antisemite.

honestly folks, you can't judge an entire religion based on the fringe elements. you simply can't. I can't judge all Christians by that Phelps idiot, so no, this isn't a representation of all Islam, no matter how hard some people might want it to be.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by DJW001

Ahh but if I mentioned another country in the region that is a theocracy that wraps itself with religion, and likes to persecute women as well, falling short of stoning them (depending on which side of the fence they are from) i'd be an antisemite.

honestly folks, you can't judge an entire religion based on the fringe elements. you simply can't. I can't judge all Christians by that Phelps idiot, so no, this isn't a representation of all Islam, no matter how hard some people might want it to be.

I might be wrong but I don't think in there has ever been any other culture in so much conflict with other cultures. In every western country with the many different cultures you find in those countries this one culture has the most conflict with all the other cultures. It's because this one culture is the most hostile and intolerant to all but its own.
edit on 11-10-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join