It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Brad Pitt Just Dodge a Brandon Lee Scenario?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This sounds pretty wild.. Pitt is in Europe filming a movie and a Hungarian SWAT team raided the set to confiscate weapons, some were loaded with live ammo..

SWA T TEAM RAIDS SET OF BRAD PITT MOVIE

A SWAT team raided a Budapest warehouse holding weapons to be used in Brad Pitt's upcoming zombie movie, World War Z on Monday.
Police seized 85 weapons (left) -- all of which were still functioning with live ammunition. Most of the weapons were automatic, military-style assault rifles, including AK-47s and sniper rifles.
A police spokesperson called the arsenal "a disaster waiting to happen," and said a deadly accident could easily have occurred on set.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
HOLY *bleep*!

Nice job SWAT team for getting to them before any of them were used.
Surely there'll be some sort of investigation now, to find out who supplied them?

Nice find.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Lots of irresponsibility on many parties, if true. Possibly this was a communications screwup and the English speaking American prop master accidentally made a deal with a real blackmarket weapons dealer who speaks his own language. "You wanta da AK? We gotta da AK". Because all European accents sound like stereotyped Italians.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'm gonna throw it out there - Did Angie set him up?

Seriously though, this could have been a very dangerous situation!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Did Eric Holder know anything about this weapons supply?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

The weapon types do seem familiar.. perhaps a serial number check to bounce off the F&F list?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The revealing part of this is that the swat team was there operating a full tactical response, so someone had to of tipped them off. Why would you need to call the swat team to raid if it was a prop mistake that could be easily corrected by the staff involved ? You wouldn't, unless there was more to it than prop error.

To further eloborate, if you worked for a film production, and were examining the weapons to be used in tommorows filming, and then found they were filled with live ammunition, you wouldn't call swat. You would remove the ammunition and check said weapons for defects to ensure that there would be no issues in which you or your company could be held responsible for accidental death. You would also keep this to your self to prevent harm to your reputation in the industry as well as your companies, so the question is ...

Who called the police instead of doing the above ?
edit on 10-10-2011 by DrunkNinja because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Thank goodness Brad was saved by the swat team. I'd hate to have to break the news to this little girl, if it had turned out differently.

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by DrunkNinja

Agreed, it does seem a bit of overkill if the prop guy discovered the danger..

Hopefully more details will surface to fill in the blanks of this raid.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
I'm gonna throw it out there - Did Angie set him up?

Yeah, apparently she got the memo for Mr & Mrs Smith 2, but Brad didn't! LMAO!

On a serious note, how could someone possibly mess up that bad?? I'm sure someone must check all the props before shooting a scene? If a full auto weapon got missed, there could be multiple deaths.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I wonder if Pitt and Co. cut some corners and fudged a few things in declaring their prop arsenal coming in to Germany for the filming? I can't imagine any other reason that pure clerical error for something like this.

Doom had a great additional feature set showing the behind the scenes training and weapons handling for the actors on that film, and the first demonstration was the Military adviser blowing the face off a styrofoam dummy to demonstrate how lethal the weapons still were. They most certainly were fully functional firearms...as I suspect most movies are.

I wonder why the Germans would go so wild, other than simple sloppy handling and declarations? Surly Pitt would have had well qualified and experienced armory people on the crew to secure and care for all of those. How odd...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
brad pitt would of been the one shooting (unless he is a zombie in this film?) So I think he would of been relatively safe.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I see a movie props manager/supervisor standing in the unemployment line in the very very near future.

... alongside the movie props purchaser

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is the most amazing publicity opportunity ever! I am sure Mr. Pitt and The Powers That Should Never Have Be Salute YOU wildly for this post. I hope you get your D.U.M.B. room for this, soldier!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
How do you know that Innocent Brad isn't a gun smuggler?

I say Jen switched the guns after he made the comment about her.

edit on 10-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
The German Postal system is horrible.
Ive done a ton of biz with German companies in the past.
It wouldn't suprise me if the SWAT team orderd the AKs and they got shipped to the set, then the SWAT team got em back ASAP.

Seroiusly, International shipments in Germany are 50/50 to even arrive.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

getting shot would have been bad but murdering a bunch of innocent extras...way worse. I could see someone committing suicide after something like that.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
maybe they were going to use the real guns, with real ammo, to kill real zombies?
In all seriousness, its good that there were no injuries or deaths. This could have been far worse than than it ended up.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Am sure there are some gun nut persons that can add more/say more about this but ...

There isn't as much odd about this as implied. Seems like typical media hyperbole, with typical police response.

It isn't unusual for functioning fire arms to be used a lot of sets for varying reasons.

- Blank firing models often don't function as required. They usually have side based blowback (looks silly), or can't carry the same loads as a real weapons (they fall apart with bigger/real loads and are dangerous to use)
- Real weapons can be set up to let go of really big muzzle flashes
- Real weapons are sometimes easier to acquire in a country of filming rather than importing firearms which are not licensed in that country (blank firing or not)
- Loaded weapons are useful to let actors get an idea of recoil if weapons are to be used in a publicish area and full loads can't be used. Especially extras can ruin an entire shot by firing a 9mm pistol like a pirate's cannon. Then some poor person has to delete them in post.
- If weapons are live models (regardless of loaded or not) saftey examples are often given with test firings etc ... Brad Pitt has used functional weapons before. Often sets with functional weapons people are wearing ear plugs so it is important for actors to know the difference between a live loaded firearm and a blank firing load.
- Sometimes live models are used or squib/firing devices used for hits on debris/cover

Whilst most people are encouraged to avoid it, various dumb things happen on film sets all the time. Persons don't lock up large amounts of weapons properly. Persons may have items in their collection that are not properly licensed. The licensed holder of the weaponry may for some reason not be around which is illegal in many places. Leaving weapons loaded and unattended can be illegal. Police will also become involved if a member of the public reports it ie the film crew haven't shown due diligence in warning the public or have alarmed the public un-neccessarily.

In any of these situations the police will say 'disaster averted' rather than ... waste of a tactical response unit's time. Woops!

Brad Pitt and supervisors would likely have checked all weapon loads etc before distributing belt fed machine guns and AK's. Also in the majority of shots the actor is always firing at an empty and cleared space even if the gun is empty. In shots where firearms are pointed directly at actors the weapons aren't loaded unless neccessary, and am pretty sure Brad Pitt would check his breach and load before pointing a gun at himself or anyone else.

The situation with Brandon Lee was also very much different: en.wikipedia.org...

Since the movie's second unit was running behind schedule, they decided to make dummy cartridges (cartridges that outwardly appear to be functional but contain no propellant or primers) from real cartridges by pulling out the bullets, dumping out the propellant and reinserting the bullets. However, the team neglected to remove the primers, which, if fired, could still produce just enough force to push the bullet out of the cartridge and into the barrel (a squib load). At some point prior to the fatal scene, the live primer in one of the improperly constructed dummy rounds was discharged by an unknown person while in the pistol, leaving the bullet stuck in the barrel.[6]

Similarish things have happened on many sets without it ever reaching the press.

Just saying.

edit on 10-10-2011 by Pinke because: Last sentence!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Probably found out about the stash, hurried there thinking something was gonna go down, realised it was a movie set and asked to see the weapons anyway just in case, discovered they had live ammo and confiscated it all to avoid disaster.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join