It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About those SD HC Memory cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I am confused. I've been thinking about getting a Sandisk MP3 Player with 4GB capacity, and so as to not put all my eggs in one basket, I want to get a 4GB memory card.
So I look at them on Amazon, and I am finding them priced from $1.12 to $5.08.
What is the difference?

The same question is asked re the USB Flash Drives. Different prices for the same size.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
In some case they are not "genuine" products perhaps?

second thing is that there can be scammers.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

If your device supports SDHC, get that... if not, get a standard SD card.

Here's a link

en.wikipedia.org...

There are different classes and different brands but really, unless you're an audiophile or are really particular, most cards are decent, just get a midrange sandisk or transcend brand.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Most all of this stuff comes from Taiwan or China now days. Prices vary because some go through more middle men. for instance Cell phone batteries for my new Samsung Smart phone at the Cell store is 49 bucks. And they are marked "made in china" Or I can get one made in china on ebay from both inside and outside the US for 5 bucks. I have done this and have had no issues at all. Same goes for cell phone cases. 30 bucks at the store. 2.88 with free shipping on ebay. Other online vendors also sell cheapest. Its all about the overhead and markup.
sometimes its quality but who knows these days where anything is made or the quality of it or even who made it.
everything from SD cards and smart phones to batteries and everything in between. Just do the research and save some bucks.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Prices vary from brand to brand as has been mentioned.

No one has mentioned CLASS.

SD cards will all have a class rating, SD/SDHC, etc. All of them.

The rating ranges from 2 to 10. This rating is based off your lowest data speeds.

A class 2 should have transfer rates no lower than 2mb/s. A class 10 would be 10mb/s. For music you don't need a high speed card. Get a sandisk class 2 or something from Amazon and it'll do.

The same goes for USB drives. You will see price differences for the same size drive depending on brand and retailer, but also class. A faster bandwidth USB drive is going to be more expensive.

You have to ask yourself what you're using it for. High speed memory is needed for photography and videography. It's also needed for storage by impatient people like me.

If you're only getting a 4gb card for music, and don't plan on switching out music all that often, then a lower class card will do just fine. If you are impatient like me, or you plan on changing what music you carry with you often, you might want to invest in a faster device.

Stick with the good brands and you can't go wrong. These brands are Patriot, Sandisk, A-Data, PNY, and a few others. I have found many times that my class 4 Sandisk outperforms my class 10 generic from China. Often times if you're buying on Amazon people will leave benchmarking information in the reviews section - look for it.

edit on 10-10-2011 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
All the ones I was looking at were Sandisk. (the mp3 player too) I've gotten the impression that they are a good brand.
It is the different prices for the same looking/named item that is so confusing.
The Flash drives too.
I'll check them further for the speed.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

I'm just sitting here at work waiting for the day to end.

If you have some links to these items I can take a look and offer input.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
This is the page where they all are.

www.amazon.com...#/ref=nb_sb _ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=sandisk+micro+sd+card&sprefix=sandisk+micro+sd&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Asandisk+micro+sd+card

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
SDHC?

I have an Amazon Prime account so I always choose Prime Eligible items.

The price difference for most of these cards is due to the different seller, even though they're all on Amazon.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1318335577&sr=1-1

and

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=pc&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1318335577&sr=1-3

and

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1318335577&sr=1-6

Would all be good choices.

top topics

join