It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grandpappy's food for a year list updated for 2011

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
this in not my list... this is yet another old grandpa who wants to help ... but many of us old timers do use him a source of materials... go check it out

here's his site Food list for one adult for one year
you can do the math yourselves to add other people....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Excellent resource. I have Food Insurance for my family for in the "be all end all" SHTF situation, but it's good to have items such as this for shorter outages, or to break it up if the freeze dried stuff gets monotonous.
Good post!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this. I have 5 kids at home, 3 who can eat up their weight in groceries. This list will come in handy. My wife and I are always looking for ways to simplify our lives. We are already buying a lot of our food in bulk but there some things on the list that I hadn't considered.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Thank you for this list!

I always love finding little gems like this. Currently I just buy "2 of everything" or when things go on sale, getting a little extra. For those low on cash, I think that's the way to go. (Aside from a garden and/or home canning of course!)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Thanks for the link man, just goes to show that you can live off of what is practically tuppence in terms of a years food and it can still be pretty darn healthy.

Cheers Grandpa (yet again)

S&F
edit on 10-10-2011 by Dionisius because: because I can

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Have seen that site before.

If your heavily stocked on dry goods you will want to blow a black ink cartridge and a stack of paper and print off all the no yeast and no egg baking recipes.

A big tip. 50# of baking soda and 50# of corn starch and a couple jugs vanilla extract and a couple jugs of honey to go with all those wheat berries and the grinder......and those will keep you in good oven baked goods for a long time. Candies and cookies too.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Neat stuff and a pretty good variety for a mostly can based setup.
The author adresses appetite fatigue which I like.
Alot of folks think I got my beans and rice so I am ready for the apocalypse!
Not so true.
I have been looking for ways around apetite fatigue and lemme tell ya, there isn't much I cannot make with some masa or wheat flour, in fact in the us, dern near everything is corn and or corn based with just a few other small additives for flavor, texture, color, Etc. well that and High Fructos Corn Syrup, but I use honey or sugar so I avoid the big evil.
He also addressed baking powder and the components to make it!!!!
This is something I have put thought to if I ever got to a point where I ran out of yeast or baking powder.
Good stuff, and a good site, thx Papa!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Good link, I see what we have and what we very much lack!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

Just have to say, love the Avatar! Curly is one of my Heroes in live!!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Okay get a pen and paper out... there will be a test later...

The interaction between a sweetener, baking soda and buttermilk or sour milk (which you can
make by adding a little vinegar to reconstituted dry milk; 1 tablespoon per cup of milk and let
stand 5 minutes) can substitute for yeast if none is available.

White hardwood ashes can replace baking powder as a leavening agent.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Once again another great post...keep these posts alive....perhaps they may in time keep you and yours alive!!!!

top topics

join