It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain 'rejects negative thoughts'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Brain

www.bbc.co.uk

One reason optimists retain a positive outlook even in the face of evidence to the contrary has been discovered, say researchers.

A study, published in Nature Neuroscience, suggests the brain is very good at processing good news about the future.

However, in some people, anything negative is practically ignored - with them retaining a positive world view.

The authors said optimism did have important health benefits.

Scientists at University College London said about 80% of people were optimists, even if they would not label themselves as such.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 10-10-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I've always felt that positive thinking does actually change the outcome of events. I feel this is a pretty interesting little study and that many people on here may benefit from thinking positive sometimes, even just for general health it is important to try and stay positive. We are finding more and more links between our psyche's and events in our lives and hopefully this study can trigger further research in this area.

Enjoy

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

I've always felt that positive thinking does actually change the outcome of events.

If you have negative judgments, you go into resistance mode, your brain doesn't work and you can't solve problems. ....Like me, with prions. I started out thinking it was a horrific disease pandemic and my brain just shut down. Then I realized prions are an evolutionary response and essential to our species' survival in our industrial world, which we've modified down to the molecular level. I've learned a whole lot about prions just by changing my attitude.

Good catch. S&F&

...Even if you can't change reality, you can change your attitude towards it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
There's probably downs sides to that as well. Like for those people who hardly feel physical pain.

Also. Ever had negative thoughts about some one or some thing and been right?
edit on 10-10-2011 by steveknows because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

"Negative" refers to your response to the facts, usually emotional-moral-and-judgmental, not the facts themselves. ...For example, friendship means knowing your friend's weaknesses, and accepting them without judgment, while taking responsibility to protect yourself from any negative effects from those weaknesses.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

"Negative" refers to your response to the facts, usually emotional-moral-and-judgmental, not the facts themselves. ...For example, friendship means knowing your friend's weaknesses, and accepting them without judgment, while taking responsibility to protect yourself from any negative effects from those weaknesses.

You've never met someone and just didn't like them but you don't know why? "I don't like that person" That's thinking negatively about someone. That's a negative thought not based on any fact. But sometimes that thought turns out to be a correct one. " I knew there was something about that person"

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

You've never met someone and just didn't like them but you don't know why?

It's a matter of training and discipline - aware people don't just "not like" someone, they are conscious of how they are reacting and also, what it is that they are reacting to.

"I don't like that person" That's thinking negatively about someone.

Yes - a very general negative reaction. Specific awareness is more useful.

That's a negative thought not based on any fact.

Often, the "facts" remain unconscious - and they could be entirely personal (illness, mood, psychological) or based on unconscious observations of the other person.

But sometimes that thought turns out to be a correct one.

When you're conscious and aware, you know where your own "alarms" are coming from - internal or external.

Really.

edit on 10/10/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You can't live your life walking around being 100% positive all the time. One would become delusional on what is really going on in the world.
Life is about Balance... Positive & Negative come hand in hand.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by steveknows

You've never met someone and just didn't like them but you don't know why? "I don't like that person" That's thinking negatively about someone. That's a negative thought not based on any fact. But sometimes that thought turns out to be a correct one. " I knew there was something about that person"

I have had that a few times to however a key point to point out is the sometimes it is correct. Problem is guess work could probably predict the same results. Also even if it’s a brief encounter on a subconscious level there would be a good analysis of their body movements to the things they are wearing. Perhaps it’s also part of natural instinct as being able to judge quick is a useful trait for survival.

As for the thinking positive, I often find myself to look on the positive side and I do think it has its negative side. Sometimes it’s better to face issues head on and to feel the negative sides in order to understand it better. Though it’s not particularly a nice feeling things like anger and negative emotions are probably a vital part of understanding and being human.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OwenGP185

Sometimes it’s better to face issues head on and to feel the negative sides in order to understand it better. Though it’s not particularly a nice feeling things like anger and negative emotions are probably a vital part of understanding and being human.

I think the point is to get past the "negative" emotional responses/reactions, think clearly, and focus on figuring out what action is possible aka problem-solving aka "positive thinking." ...'Course sometimes the only action possible is an attitude adjustment.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
A very important tool is to turn all negative thoughts into positives and all situations that were hard learning trials into blessings by going to other side of the bed so to speak, and seeing it from everyone's point of view, soul maturity, and limitations, releasing, forgiving, even blessing. To claim the silver lining in the cloud. We also look at our faith, religions, spiritual beliefs, politics, economic models the same way, only taking the good and junking all the rest.

Only see the Goodness and strive for this in ourselves as well.

And Give alot of Thanks. Gratitude works wonders as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185

Originally posted by steveknows

I have had that a few times to however a key point to point out is the sometimes it is correct. Problem is guess work could probably predict the same results. Also even if it’s a brief encounter on a subconscious level there would be a good analysis of their body movements to the things they are wearing. Perhaps it’s also part of natural instinct as being able to judge quick is a useful trait for survival.

As for the thinking positive, I often find myself to look on the positive side and I do think it has its negative side. Sometimes it’s better to face issues head on and to feel the negative sides in order to understand it better. Though it’s not particularly a nice feeling things like anger and negative emotions are probably a vital part of understanding and being human.

Hey I don't totaly disagree with you and I believe that for the most part positive thinking is a good thing. Just that sometimes it's not realisitc and can actually be counter productive. Like anger is a bad thing for the most part but sometimes it's needed as part of our surviival.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Okay.
...Anger can be good - and gratitude too, like Unity_99 says. Both essential for survival.

top topics

join