It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gonorrhoea has become 'incurable'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Wow. If there was ever a reason to REALLY rubber up, this would be it. Linky

UK doctors are being told the antibiotic normally used to treat gonorrhoea is no longer effective because the sexually transmitted disease is now largely resistant to it.
The Health Protection Agency says we may be heading to a point when the disease is incurable unless new treatments can be found.
For now, doctors must stop using the usual treatment cefixime and instead use two more powerful antibiotics.

Considering the potential risks, I'd rather be protected than disease riddled.

One of the complication of gonorrhea is systemic dissemination resulting in skin pustules or petechia, septic arthritis, meningitis or endocarditis.[3] This occurs in between 0.6 and 3.0% of women and 0.4 and 0.7% of men.[3] In men, inflammation of the epididymis (epididymitis); prostate gland (prostatitis) and urethral stricture (urethritis) can result from untreated gonorrhea.[17] In women, the most common result of untreated gonorrhea is pelvic inflammatory disease. Other complications include perihepatitis,[17] a rare complication associated with Fitz-Hugh-Curtis syndrome; septic arthritis in the fingers, wrists, toes, and ankles; septic abortion; chorioamnionitis during pregnancy; neonatal or adult blindness from conjunctivitis; and infertility. Neonates coming through the birth canal are given erythromycin ointment in the eyes to prevent blindness from infection. The underlying gonorrhea should be treated; if this is done then usually a good prognosis will follow. Among persons in the United States between 14 and 39 years of age, 46% of people with gonorrheal infection also have chlamydial infection

Doesn't sound too pretty.

Stay safe guys and girls!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Yup, we all knew a new herpes-esque STI would arise some day. Hope people are staying safe out there as well, wrap it up!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
It was only a matter of time before we got a sti super-bug. The worst part is that it is possible for a person to be infected and treated multiple times for the same type of infection. That alone is bound to cause faster mutations in the organism.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's easy to steer clear of people with facial herpes at least. All the more reason to wrap it though.
I think sexual health is important. It can affect so much of your body, and your fertility.
Safe sex is important, and it's a shame there aren't more contraceptive methods that do protect from STIs and I must say, I don't find it an acceptable excuse to not use a condom just because "you don't like how they feel". I imagine it would feel worse having a burning wiener and infected prostate and stuff....

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lulzaroonie

No sex is the safest sex. Also, oral sex is just as dangerous when it comes to gonorrhea. And man, what a way to die. AIDS sounds more attractive.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Old news - and just one in a long, long list of un-treatables. Important to bring it back up tho.

S&F

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Maybe old to you, but not to me
Good to keep on top of these things though.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

...I mentioned it in the following threads, and someone else posted on it in July.

2006: Weaponized Ebola: Bioterrorism? Or Mother Nature?

2006: The Perfect Microbial Storm

July, 2011: Gonorrhea superstrain "discovered"

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Must have missed those lol. I only joined last year and I wasn't very active during July, it was a busy month!

new topics

top topics

join