It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silver Treasure, Worth $18 Million, Found in North Atlantic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Silver Treasure, Worth $18 Million, Found in North Atlantic

www.nytimes.com

Sea explorers announced Monday the discovery of a new sunken treasure that they plan to retrieve from the bottom of the North Atlantic.

Off Ireland in 1917, a German torpedo sank the British steam ship Mantola, sending the vessel and its cargo of an estimated 20 tons of silver to the seabed more than a mile down. At today’s prices, the metal would be worth about $18 million.

In recent years, strapped governments have started looking to lost cargoes as a way to raise money. They do so because the latest generation of robots, lights, cameras and claws can withstand the deep sea�
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Well, this is quite amazing. 20 tons of silver valued at around $18 million dollars. And this find is not one of its kind, there are said to be many more treasures lying on the seabed.

And of course, in the current economic downtime everybody, even governments, are wanting to have a piece of it.

"In such arrangements, private companies put their own money at risk in costly expeditions and split any profits. In this case, Odyssey is to get 80 percent of the silver’s value and the British government 20 percent. It plans to attempt the recovery in the spring, along with that of its previous find."

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
hang onto it for another year and it will be worth 800,000,000 dollars

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Incase anyone didn't hear about this also, Shipwreck of SS Gairsoppa reveals £150m silver haul

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Both of those discoveries happened within a month of today, as well..

I feel as if something else was found in a wreck recently, as well.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

like???

Aliens?? Space portal??

As the story points out....its VERY profitable to search and find hidden treasure. I try not to add a conspiracy to everything, they are there to make a shed load of money..that is all

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

Haha no it was gold or silver..

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Dang it... Where was I???

Just give me a $1mil please... I can live off that for the rest of my life.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Same here, though even if you were there you wouldn't have the technology to get to the wreck.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The UK has different antiquities laws. If this had been found off US shores, considering the agreements the US had made with other countrys (they get to keep all cargo within their vessels off US shores) you can count on one of the following: The US seizes all finds under the antiquities laws (anything over 100 years), or the foreign nation (ie Spanish galleon contents) gets their property back under recent laws/agreements by the US. In the end, you either keep your mouth shut in the US or get the # seized...

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Yes, I was wondering why the Odyssey would get 80% of the value, I thought the British government would have seized it all leaving the Odyssey with nothing but being acknowledged for the find. This went very well in my opinion and both have a fair share of the lost treasure, definitely in other countries this would have been different.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Whoever found this is rich.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
reply to post by Manhater

Same here, though even if you were there you wouldn't have the technology to get to the wreck.

I'll swim for a million dollars.

top topics

join