It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sorry ladies, it's not for you': Dr Pepper launches 'manly' low-calorie drink with Rambo-style

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Take a look at Dr. Peppers new ad campaign here.

Its focused towards "men" for whatever reason. I guess women "shouldn't" or "can't" have it, as its for "men".

This just seems like its trying to start a controversy. The article is from February but I just saw ad's for it on ESPN for the first time (maybe you've seen them a lot before, I don't watch a lot of TV".

If the ad said : "Not for Blacks", people would obviously outrage.

So why no outrage if they say "Not for Women". They're people too.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Controversy = Publicity = Brand awareness = Higher sales.

Just a guess.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The same has been done with Coke Zero, marketing shows that men prefer not to have a drink with "Diet" written on the label because they tend to associate the diet drinks with being a woman's drink. Hence why coke brought out a drink with low calories and names it "Zero" instead of diet something.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

This is very clever marketing, all that will happen is girls will say ""Oh, so I can't drink this.....watch me"" and they drink to "spite" the company, therefore increasing their sales.

No conspiracy here.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I completely understand that its a marketing campaign.

But I don't understand how it isn't seen as sexist?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
They've been doing it for years. I don't know about other places, but in the UK we have a chocolate bar called a Yorkie, which is "not for girls"

We also have McCoy's crips, which are very nice. They're slogan is "man crisps"

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elsek
Take a look at Dr. Peppers new ad campaign here.

Its focused towards "men" for whatever reason. I guess women "shouldn't" or "can't" have it, as its for "men".

This just seems like its trying to start a controversy. The article is from February but I just saw ad's for it on ESPN for the first time (maybe you've seen them a lot before, I don't watch a lot of TV".

If the ad said : "Not for Blacks", people would obviously outrage.

So why no outrage if they say "Not for Women". They're people too.

Oh geez, get a grip.

It's using subliminal referencing, basically challenging the potential consumers into trying it.

When they say it's 'not for women' they are basically saying (for those who are worried that a 10 calorie drink will be sub-par to a regular soda) that it will be a great and exciting drink, and not disappointing.

It's not really focussed towards men, either. The glorified, colourful and noisy action is so over-worked that it borders on the hilarious. It's supposed to be a fun and attention grabbing advertisement.

It obviously grabbed your attention.

Now, go and grab a 10 calorie soda, one that'll make you wish your ovaries could bench-press a school-bus!

That's a joke.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reverse psychology marketing?

You can't do this!! = Hell yes I can response = more sales..

and as another poster mentioned, publicity.. example, this thread

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Alright let me clear up where I am coming from and hopefully help everyone understand where I am coming from.

If you walked into the store tomorrow and saw [insert product] and on that product it said:

"Not for Blacks" would you honestly consider buying it? Sure it caught your attention. Sure it might sell. But would no one have a problem with what it was saying?

The female race should be just as equal as the male race, the black race, the white race, the purple race, etc. But its not.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Yeah, in the UK we have a few products that are "not for girls". I have never heard any one complain about it.

This Yorkie advert is typical of Yorkie adverts, very funny. As is the McCoys ad above

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Alright let me clear up where I am coming from and hopefully help everyone understand where I am coming from.

If you walked into the store tomorrow and saw [insert product] and on that product it said:

"Not for Blacks" would you honestly consider buying it? Sure it caught your attention. Sure it might sell. But would no one have a problem with what it was saying?

The female race should be just as equal as the male race, the black race, the white race, the purple race, etc. But its not.

Don't turn a bloody commercial into a sexism argument.

If you went and tried to buy it and the cashier said "sorry, lady, but this soda is for men only" then you'd have a problem.

Until that day, be thankful your gender (not your race, females aren't a race) was given the rights to vote, drive, work, play, cook my dinner.

That was another joke, and it was a little tasteless, and not as tasty as DR PEPPER 10

edit on 10-10-2011 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by Unrealised because: I'm a man!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Unrealised

So you would be perfectly fine if stores sold items that were branded with terms like "Blacks Only", "Whites Only"?
(If they still of course sold the item to you regardless of your race?)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

and I don't see how they are not a race?

"Race is classification of humans into large and distinct populations or groups"

Are men and women not classified into distinct populations or groups?

link   

So you would be perfectly fine if stores sold items that were branded with terms like "Blacks Only", "Whites Only"?
(If they still of course sold the item to you regardless of your race?)

I wouldn't care.

I'm a Man and I drink Dr Pepper 10.

So long as Black Men and White Men get to taste it, there is a God, who is also a Man, hence, he drinks Dr Pepper 10!

link   
Yeah, making too much of a deal about harmless and sometimes funny adverts...nothing sexist about it at all, and as others have said we have the famous Yorkie chocolate bar advert here in the UK and no one complains. Im sure it is just a marketing trick.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Elsek

Male and Female are classed as 'Genders' and not 'Races.'

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

So men and women aren't classified into groups like the definition of "race" states?

Ok.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Plenty of history of this sort of thing.

Secret underarm deodorant: Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.

Anyone from the 1970's out there that knows a man who would've been caught dead smoking a 'Virginia Slims' cigarette?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

So men and women aren't classified into groups like the definition of "race" states?

Ok.

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Anyway, why would you really worry about an unhealthy soft-drink? Do you really want your 'sisters' to have access to a disgusting and potentially poisonous substance?

It's probably better if you stuck with milk.

Strawberry milk.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Hope you caught onto my sarcasm
if not take a closer look.

And I couldn't care if it was a chocolate bar, a bag of chips, or a a soft-drink.

All I'm saying is that if you replaced "Women" with "Insert any other Race", it would definitely be deemed inappropriate and thats why we don't see it. I just don't see how women (or men in the case of Secret deodorant), aren't angered by it.

I must be missing something.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join