It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dryer lint tinder is glorious!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I got the idea from DaddyBare in a previous thread about using dryer lint as easy tinder for a fire and i didnt know how good it worked so i tried it out and i will be starting a bag of it for easy tinder now!

If you dont know what dryer lint is, its the stuff you pull out of your dryer after every load or two. ( for me anyway)

I started a small pile of sticks on top of the lint and almost forgot to take a picture before they burned down ahah.

I used a couple sticks as a rack to hold some eggs and potatoes til the fire was just a pile of embers and then i laid the foil into the embers to sit for about 20 minutes.

Why did i use aluminum foil? Because i hate washing dishes

But anyways, thank you DaddyBare now known as GrandpaDave for this and the hundreds of other tips you have provided these forums with

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I usually take a woodworking plane to a block of wood and use the shavings for tinder.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
cotton balls are better.

Try it out

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

EDIT: Look at my other post for the pics...below here somewhere

To resize click the "resize" box and change it to "message board"

Its a good idea...i always wondered what that fuzzy stuff could be used for....fake beards didnt work too well

So how comed daddybare changed his name? Did he get told off for impersonating someone else?
edit on 10-10-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have several large bags of dryer lint. It works incredibly well, and is VERY light, and easy to compress into a small space. Packs well, travels well, and will dry out quickly if wet.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I wear a lot of cotton, so my dryer lint is very good for tinder.

If a load has a lot of polyester clothing in it, the lint will tend to melt up a bit. It still works, but I have found that high cotton content is better. JMO

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by loves a conspiricy

OOPS! This should have been at the OP!!!!

Dang it!

It is not quite lunch time and your post made me hungry! I can smell the wood smoke and want to eat whatever is in the foil packets.

edit on 10-10-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I didnt want to embed them because they were so massive.
Thanks for doing it tho!

edit on 10-10-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

haha yea they are kinda huge...there is an option on TinyPic to change the size. If you select "message board" it makes them a lot smaller...like this...(i will delete the others as they are massive)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Oh sweet thanks

I took the pics off of my phone and just sent it right to my email and uploaded. Guess i should have checked the site for a size button! and also DaddyBare changed his name cuz he is a grandpa so he wanted the name change

@butcherguy - in the big packet i had cut up some potato slices and added butter, pepper, salt and olive oil

edit on 10-10-2011 by Bonkrh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I'm glad you found a use for one of this old mans ramblings....
the origanal thread can be found here BTW
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Any-who... the reason I use wax when I make them is the wax acts as a water proof and keeps the lint on the inside dry...
once it starts to melt... the wax acts just like a wick and keeps the lint burning...

FYI... dont tell but several types of Packaged snak foods burn like the dickens... the best ones are the ones that have a lot of oil in them...
could be your tasty treat might also make a good fire starter

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

Bah! im sure if i had more time on my hands i could find a use for many of your "ramblings" ahah

Thanks for posting the original thread as well
i just remembered you posted some info about it but forgot the details.

As for the secretive oily flammable snacks... i may have to go on a hunt to find them now

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Haha!
I have a woodstove, and since I am not a good fire starter I have always used lint to get things going. I have also used an old sock even some holy underwear,lol. Cotton balls,work GREAT and so does any old scrap peice of fabric. My neighbor uses plastic coat hangers in a pinch (not good for the ozone, but works). When you have a woodstove and you have to lite it from scratch, you come up with some funny things to get it going. I also cook on my woodstove,takes a bit longer but saves electricity. I used recipes from GrandpaDave as my guide for that.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by lilowl53

you just gave me an idea for a new thread...
teaching you guys how to make chuckwagon and Canadian Bacon...
really you make both the same way the only diff is what cut of meat you use and it sure is yummy!

back on topic bacon fat makes a good fire starter but its beter to use in a primitave lamp...
well there's yet another thread how to make a wet clay lamp...

sighs I'll be writing all week at this rate
edit on 10-10-2011 by GrandpaDave because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandpaDave

well i spent about 4 days reading every thread on the survival forums so a week of you writing will give me new material to read up on

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkrh

I think the best thing about dryer lint is the price

Something that is free is always a good thing! cotton balls are great and cheap. I use them also for some of my reloading. But free is free!

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I used to create fire-starters from dryer lint packed into toilet paper roll tubes for starting my wood stove and my fireplace instead of purchasing those "fire starter logs". You always have a ton of toilet paper and paper towel tubes layin around. I'd just collect those and stash them in my bag with the lint, then I could just pack them in the roll and start my fires with my tinder on top.

Just be sure not to stuff too much lint in them or they don't get enough oxygen to burn hot enough to start your wood on fire.

A_L

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by another_lurker

If i started collecting dryer lint my husband would throw me out of our home..LOL..But ill think about it

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I also stuff it in egg cartons and use up old candles and pour wax in them, makes great fire starters. And you just break the sections off as needed.

For those who see the less obvious, please use the paper cartons, not foam.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Lint brings to mind some other things out in the wild. Certain types of old birds nest, mice nests found in old rotting logs or under them. If you happen on old cars left to the woods years before they are full of mice nesting and seat stuffing/upholstery. Old tire sidewall cutting if you happen upon an abondoned vehicle. All this for wet weather considerations if you are traveling along and out of lint.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join