It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Things You Think Work, But Actually Don't

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I didn't know that about the elevator buttons, I'll have to try it.

the shoes...well, duh, if you believe everything you hear in a commercial, you're in trouble. LOL Butt-toning shoes? Maybe if you jog a lot with them but if your butt gets toned, it won't be the shoes.

HDTV? Yeah, your set, no matter how brilliantly HD it's supposed to be, the quality is solely dependent upon the video being viewed. If it's a crappy analog signal with static through your antenna, it'll look like a crappy, noisy analog picture. And then there's your current eyesight. You can only see so good. How good do you really need a picture to be, anyway? Want pure HD vision? Don't watch TV
My mom, she's so funny. She has to have the 1080i 42" television set to watch her fancy blue ray videos and she has such bad eyesight, even with glasses. I'm, like, mom....you can have a 1000000000000i HDTV playing the best quality that's currently possible and your eyes still see like crap.
I have a smallish 37" 720P LCD TV with a normal DVD player. Looks great to me. TV rots your brain, anyway.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The one about elevator buttons is wrong--at least in some places. In my building, I have tried leaving it alone and seeing how long it takes to close. The next time I press the close door button and it closes immediately. But only in one of two elevators

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think the HDTV thing is a riot because I know so many people who think that they are seeing an hd picture just because they have an hd television. I just had to send this link to my mom because she is one of these people.....no matter how many times I try to explain it to her she still insists that she has a better picture with her hd tv with no hd channels DVDs etc.. Lol

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Seems the distrust should be placed on irresponsible parenting and not the medical community.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
hmmm

I don't think this is about the difference between hd and normal tv, or the fact that those shoes don't work or the ac controls are fake. who cares!

It's about the power of the mind.

If I told you you could cure yourself of your .ache or cold or bad back by just believing that it didn't hurt, by using the power of your mind, you'd tell me to shut up, call me 'new age' and laugh at my crystal necklace (im not new age by the way and dont have crystal necklace).

but that is exactly what this article about. Forget the bullsh!t story, f**k the air con and lift buttons and think beyond it, placebo is scientific proof that we can and do control our health and the world we live in with our thoughts... think about it

dd

edit on 10-10-2011 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
1- Probably because I live in Canada, but the close door buttons work just fine last time I tried them.

2-I've been around computers long enough to notice resolution differences and this whole HD resolution limiting new PC screens to 1080p is a scandal for me.

3-Walk sign buttons work, they work too damn much too. They stop the whole traffic .ing from both ways for longer then a snail would need to cross. Pedestrian lights don't even automatically light up anymore along with the rest of the traffic lights, they stay on Stop till you press the stupid button. Are people so dumb now they can't even program walk signs anymore?! Damn people think everyone is stupid except themselves. I'm sensitive to the Walk sing buttons fiasco, I am sorry lol

4-Butt-Toning Shoes?
Never heard of them but, are they totally out of their freaking mind to think it can not work? Hell, just high heal shoes shapes the butt differently since the muscles used to walk are used in a slightly different way, so of course the idea is possible. Who wrote that stupid article omg...

5-Office Thermostats
Weird because the thermostat in the last office I worked for worked just fine. Sure people in the office still really don't understand how to use it properly, even after I explained it to them step by step. -_-

This whole article is a lie and takes everyone for stupid idiots.
Here's five things you think that works Matt Brownell but doesn't, your brain, your critical thinking, your logic, your respect and your discernment.
edit on 10-10-2011 by User8911 because: typo

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Here's another thing women SWEAR by: anti wrinkle cream. How many women would be prepared to try them on one half of their faces to see if it really works? If they did, they could all ask for their money back. But they don't, because they want to believe it works. The placebo effect actually makes them feel better and younger.

A positive attitude works much better: no matter how old you are, a lovely smile will make you the prettiest woman in the room.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I thought I would see Obama in the list, but I guess more and more people are realising that he doesn't work.

2nd line.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I've met like two ethical doctors. They're mostly educated crooks.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

The nascent toning-shoe industry is already marketed at about $4.6 billion, and the Shape-Ups shoe is responsible for half of it.

At least they condition you to walk "correctly",,, I guess

5-products-that-will-be-exposed-as-bull****-in-2011
ed it on 10-10-2011 by WaffleBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

5 Things You Think Work, But Actually Don't

The legislative branch
The executive branch
The judicial branch
Main stream media
and
Common sense.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
i like the corporate thermostat. that's how much upper management in their private climate controlled offices think of the worker peons in the office cubicles.

don't worry it only feels like slavery.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

i noticed they left out trickle-down economics in the story...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
regards buttons on pedestrian crossings , at least in the UK :

all of them work some of the time

crossings > 50m from a set of traffic lights - will always work all the time

crossings at junctions with no other trafic signals [ just stop or give way signs ] always work - all the time

crossings at traffic lights - buttons do not work at all during peak & normal traffic patterns - but at night when traffic is minimal - the trasffic signals will cease to cycle and keep the dominant highway open - and only cycle when a vehicle approaches from another road - at this time the button will work -

i susspect this is the case elsewhere too

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
hehe, what if the TV and internet didn't work, but our minds made them work?

regards buttons on pedestrian crossings , at least in the UK : [they work]

Read the article again. They make it perfectly clear that the pedestrian crossings don't work in New York and some other places, BUT they probably work in most other places.

edit on 11-10-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Athin

Seems the distrust should be placed on irresponsible parenting and not the medical community.

We divorced soon after this, but thank you for your interest. My daughter is now thirty years old and doing fine.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
OBAMA

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It's SOOOOO funny to watch people who are convinced HD TV is better. I have an uncle like that, and it took everything in me to keep from cracking up.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join