Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

My book got taken away!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
For my old highschool I help the marching band with things since I was in the band. Do things like carry equipment, help man the foodstand, things like that. During my time off I brought a book, The Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel. Guess what? that book is banned in libraries and in school. I am no longer in highschool, I was never in the building, I was helping out the band, and they took my freaking book. In another topic SkepticOverlord has made, it lists banned books. I wish I had seen it earlier, cause then I would have brought a different book to read.

But anyways, the book was taken. I now know it is a banned book. I don't know why, maybe because it has the planet older then 6,000 years, or shows original humans as more then club swinging hair covered butt monkeys.

Now, how can abook be banned? I know in South Africa they had a book banned due to it's controversy. Of course, the controversy was blacks being more then slaves in the late 1900's. But in America, how can a book be banned? Some books have been banned before PC was born, so that is not to blame for all of them. But some, like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn are banned for having the N word in it. Now I would understand if they were written by the Grand Wizard of the KKK and used the N word in a negative fashion, but it isn't. Or Harry Potter, yes it has witchcraft, but it has gotten millions of kids to read and well, they good.(I know, I am to old for them
) Now, at least with Harry Potter, witchcraft isn't evil unless you are a christian. The government owned schools ban this book. What happened to seperation of church and state?

Well, what is America if it is not the Land of the Free, Home of the Brave if it bans certain books. And some of them will surprise you, like Where's Waldo and Goosebumps. How can one ban books and still claim to support freedom?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:12 PM
link   
[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sexual content? Well, ban Health class then. There is some sex in it, but it isn't gratuitus(sp?) or anything like "He bent her over and slammed his c*ck into her @$$ so he could hear her scream" They didn't tell me why, they just took it. Now I have to wait till monday to see if I can get it back. Keyword is IF.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
From Amazon: Jean Auel's fifth novel about Ayla, the Cro-Magnon cavewoman raised by Neanderthals, is the biggest comeback bestseller in Amazon.com history. In The Shelters of Stone, Ayla meets the Zelandonii tribe of Jondalar, the Cro-Magnon hunk she rescued from Baby, her pet lion. Ayla is pregnant. How will Jondalar's mom react? Or his bitchy jilted fiancée? Ayla wows her future in-laws by striking fire from flint and taming a wild wolf. But most regard her Neanderthal adoptive Clan as subhuman "flatheads." Clan larynxes can't quite manage language, and Ayla must convince the Zelandonii that Clan sign language isn't just arm-flapping. Zelandonii and Clan are skirmishing, and those who interbreed are deemed "abominations." What would Jondalar's tribe think if they knew Ayla had to abandon her half-breed son in Clan country? The plot is slow to unfold, because Auel's first goal is to pack the tale with period Pleistocene detail, provocative speculation, and bits of romance, sex, tribal politics, soap opera, and homicidal wooly rhino-hunting adventure. It's an enveloping fact-based fantasy, a genre-crossing time trip to the Ice Age.

Frankly, not to cast doubt on you but something is missing in your story.

You were not in the building, but you were on school property is this right?.

What exactly is your position, are you a volunteer?

Who took the book?

What is their authority?

Do they know that you are not a student?

Did they tell specifically you that the book was "banned?"

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It all comes down to religion really. The idea that books, or any form of passing on an idea or knowledge effectively can subvert a large mass come from the persecution of esoteric knowledge of the dark ages. Incidentally so does the idea that woman were lesser than men. That was an idea imparted by the church in the 1500's. Before then women were on an equal footing to men in most areas; It's taken us 500 years to begin to shake off that fallacy. That doesn't matter too much, more women working simply means more money and taxes. The threat of knowledge and free thinking is a more prevalent threat than anything however. The persecution of it is a cause of widely held ignorance, or should I say ‘tradition’.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Why did you let them take your book.? Couldn't you just leave or take it to the car? Is this another of your comic posts? Maybe you can get another.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
We need more-
This could have been a grade school and for reasons NOT religious books depicting sex with animals are not allowed.

Maybe it's just me but I can see a twisted logic to that.

Maybe the cover picture showing the naked, writhing, voluptuous (pre-pregnant) heroine was a little much considering the size of the stud that was appearing to impale her?

Not an art critic, but I wouldn't want to spend three hours explaining to my grand daughter why grandpa doesn't "look like that"

Am I missing something here?

This is SCHOOL people!

You can't even whip kids in school these days-

Want an education? Substitute 4th grade for a day. No longer than that or you will have to be institutionalized.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
HowardRoark, no they did not say it was banned, they said it was not allowed in school. The person who took it knew I was not a student. We met several times in school and he knew I graduated. The authority is the guy who punishes you if you are a guy or a girl to ugly to get him a hard on. I am not a volunteer, I am an Alumni Member, and two others who are also Alumni Members, help with the percussion section.(the part we came from) One was in the band from 1975-1979, the other from 1998-2002. We also help out the band parents who set up the food stands, carry the audio equipment, things like that. I(and none of the Alumni/Band Parents) work for the school, are with the school in any official or unofficial way. We are a seperate entity from the school. We are like the cops who go to the game. We don't work for the school, but we help on school grounds.(cops for security) I never went into any of the buildings, never had my book out or showed it to people, but had it in a bag for easy carrying on my bike.(a plastic bag, not bookbag, and yes my bike, out of highschool and still can't drive)

And kegs is kind of more on tract. It isn't just my book, but any book. Kegs, how does religon play into James and the Giant Peach? Goosebumps? Where's Waldo? I understand religon and Harry Potter, or the sex eductaion books, or Heather Has Two Mommies, but the others?

Edit People posted while I was typing this out.

What naked woman? There is no naked woman having sex with an animal on the cover art. I have seen no covers with naked women on them outside of Playboy, Hustler, Barely Legal, Bigguns, Celebirty Skin, Tail, Legs Show, so forth.

And Grady, isn't post hunting against the rules on this board? And what did you add to the discussion? I don't have a car, and they did not give me the choice. If they had I would have taken the choice of not getting it taken from me.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by James the Lesser]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Not all books are banned or looked down upon purely because of religion, but it's from religion that the idea that a book might somehow be bad for you has came, and it's become second nature for some, religious or not.

James and the Giant Peach has subversive undertones as do most of Roald dahl's books. Remember, people that want to find the worst in a book will look far more into it than those who just want to enjoy it.

[edit on 29-8-2004 by kegs]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Alright Kegs, and yes, banning things started with the church.

And also, with James and the Giant Peach, there is some question into the child abuse by his aunts. Maybe everyone is suppose to grow up with a nice happy family. Same with Harry Potter, the abuse he is given by his Aunt and Uncle and cousin. But that isn't true, the book is banned because of religous reason, not child abuse in it.

Kegs, know any good reads? I have to suggest the In Death series. J.D. Robb, pen name of Nora Roberts. They are great if you are interested in murder mystery books. I know NR writes romance, but that is why she uses J.D. Robb name for these books so people will recognize them as not crappy romance novels.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
And Grady, isn't post hunting against the rules on this board? And what did you add to the discussion? I don't have a car, and they did not give me the choice. If they had I would have taken the choice of not getting it taken from me.

What is post hunting? Like the others, I just wanted more information, so I asked some questions. They wouldn't have taken my book. Maybe you could give us enough background to evaluate your situation and offer some substantive advice. I think I add a lot to every discussion I enter.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
If it's a banned book, it's banned at your high school. I...don't mean to be insulting, but it's a pretty bad book of the genre that we call "blatant Mary Sue." It might be because of the racy scenes.

If this is NOT a Christian high school, you might go in and talk to the principal and ask why your book was taken.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
It is not just banned at my highschool, it is number 20 on the list given out by the Library government thing.(will get a link when I edit this) And no, not a christian schol, regular public highschool. I am going in on monday to see if I can get it back.

GradyPhilpott, post hunting, or stalking, is where you search someone out and/or their posts but add no content to it. This is not the only place this has occured. You add no content by the mere fact you included in your post "Or is this just another one of your comic posts." Just another? I am sure you are reffering to my sarcastic post where I talk about how Bush&Co may use an attack at the RNC to get support, and how it would not be a bad thing for only Bush Supporters would be killed. And giving me a link to amazon.com is just trying to bait me to attack you with language and name calling, something else not allowed on ATS.

www.ala.org...

Edit again, don't think the link worked right the first time I posted on it.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the LesserGradyPhilpott, post hunting, or stalking, is where you search someone out and/or their posts but add no content to it. This is not the only place this has occured.

You can believe that I am not stalking you. I'm sorry you don't like the content of my posts, but I am sincere in all my efforts.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
You add no content by the mere fact you included in your post "Or is this just another one of your comic posts."

Another of our fellow posters pointed out to me that your posts are often comic in nature, even though some may erroneously take them seriously. I was just asking. Sorry.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Anyways, this is more than just my book. It is about how a book can be banned. As kegs posted, it started with the church.

The list is not just schools, it is public libraries. How in a "free" country can a book be banned for it's content? Freedom of speech. Unless the book causes a panic, it is suppose to be allowed. By Panic I mean as in I jump up at a movie theater and yell "This place is on fire, run!" and yet there is no fire. I know of no book that does this, at least in a serious manner. Now in a school maybe keeping books out of the library is a good idea, but to ban it from the grounds is wrong. And as mentioned, the list does not just apply to schools, but the neighborhood library or state owned/funded library.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
James, It's a good topic. It's one that gets me angry on a regular basis.

Personally I wouldn’t recommend any book over another. The right book has a way of finding you when you need to read it. Books are kinda the only thing I adhere to ‘religiously’, so to me banned books have always been in my top ten must read list. It’s just words put in a particular order on a piece of paper, no matter how much bull# might be in it. Even with the likes of Mein Kampf or the Protocols of the Learned elders of Zion, you always learn something, even if it’s not what the author wanted you to take from it.

BTW I’m actually extremely drunk at the moment, so I might be talking utter pish. But hey, at least my spelling is immaculate.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Holy hell Kegs, don't need to know. But true, no one book is technically better than the other. I am sure everybook has at least one person that says the book is better than any other.

I just got another reason why a book is banned, politics. Some books are benned due to PC(Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn), some to religon(Harry Potter), and some due to "not nice" topics like child abuse. But some are politics. Think about it, a book banned in one state is not always banned in another. Different demographics, different people. Maybe the reason I was taught To Kill a Mockingbird yet someone from say, Alabama wasn't is due to the fact that it is considered controversial to the voters in Alabama, but not to the voters in Ohio.

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Okay... I'm educated and somewhat thunderstruck. Here's the list of the 100 books most frequently challenged for the past decade:
www.ala.org...

Auel's books are apparently an older ban, since this is what's banned for 2004: www.ala.org...

Oh heck... let me reproduce it here... Mark Twain, To Kill A Mockingbird (so many wonderful books... like A Wrinkle In Time.) It's a tragedy, and in protest I'm going to read some of the books on this list this fall:

Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
Forever by Judy Blume
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
The Giver by Lois Lowry
It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
Goosebumps (Series) by R.L. Stine
A Day No Pigs Would Dieby Robert Newton Peck
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Sex by Madonna
Earth’s Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel
The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle
Go Ask Alice by Anonymous
Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Myers
In the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
The Stupids (Series) by Harry Allard
The Witches by Roald Dahl
The New Joy of Gay Sex by Charles Silverstein
Anastasia Krupnik (Series) by Lois Lowry
The Goats by Brock Cole
Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
Blubber by Judy Blume
Killing Mr. Griffin by Lois Duncan
Halloween ABC by Eve Merriam
We All Fall Down by Robert Cormier
Final Exit by Derek Humphry
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
The Pigman by Paul Zindel
Bumps in the Night by Harry Allard
Deenie by Judy Blume
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Annie on my Mind by Nancy Garden
The Boy Who Lost His Face by Louis Sachar
Cross Your Fingers, Spit in Your Hat by Alvin Schwartz
A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)
Asking About Sex and Growing Up by Joanna Cole
Cujo by Stephen King
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl
The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell
Boys and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
Ordinary People by Judith Guest
American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis
What’s Happening to my Body? Book for Boys: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Sons by Lynda Madaras
Are You There, God? It’s Me, Margaret by Judy Blume
Crazy Lady by Jane Conly
Athletic Shorts by Chris Crutcher
Fade by Robert Cormier
Guess What? by Mem Fox
The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende
The Face on the Milk Carton by Caroline Cooney
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Native Son by Richard Wright
Women on Top: How Real Life Has Changed Women’s Fantasies by Nancy Friday
Curses, Hexes and Spells by Daniel Cohen
Jack by A.M. Homes
Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo A. Anaya
Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle
Carrie by Stephen King
Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume
On My Honor by Marion Dane Bauer
Arizona Kid by Ron Koertge
Family Secrets by Norma Klein
Mommy Laid An Egg by Babette Cole
The Dead Zone by Stephen King
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison
Always Running by Luis Rodriguez
Private Parts by Howard Stern
Where’s Waldo? by Martin Hanford
Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene
Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman
Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Running Loose by Chris Crutcher
Sex Education by Jenny Davis
The Drowning of Stephen Jones by Bette Greene
Girls and Sex by Wardell Pomeroy
How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
View from the Cherry Tree by Willo Davis Roberts
The Headless Cupid by Zilpha Keatley Snyder
The Terrorist by Caroline Cooney
Jump Ship to Freedom by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier

[edit on 29-8-2004 by Byrd]

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Yeah, I don't see religion as the be all and end all of book banning I just threw it in as a matter of perspective. Today most are about politics as you said except in backward states and countries where religion still holds a big sway. There are a lot that have (and are) been banned at governmental level in many western countries that have went against that governments (not just the government at the time, but the overall ideal of the country) grain of their ideology, both politically and philosophically.

*refills the whisky*

I have to say though, I still don't understand the inclusion of Where's Waldo....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join