It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Experiment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Or rather lack of sleep experiment, i honestly do not understand why we spedn a 1/3 of our lives wasted sleeping

I'm going to try an experiement. i'm going to try and stay awake as long as possible.

i've always been a light sleeper 3-5 hours a night so i figured why bother sleeping at all.

so far i've been awake 48 hours i'll keep progress as i go

12 hours - Worked a normal shift came home naturally felt tired
24 hours - Feeling really tired i badly need sleep but fight to stay awake
36 hours - The feeling of tirdness has passed it's day light again and i feel wide awake ready for daily activities
48 hours - Darkness creeps in i can't concentrate as well and find myself making easy mistakes

It's now 8.30pm from the start of my experiment i want to press on i believe after a few days we can overcome the need to sleep all together

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Devestator

Be very careful...you're not driving anywhere are you?

In 1959, Peter Tripp, a New York radio DJ, set a new Guinness World Record for sleep deprivation. He stayed awake for 201 hours (8.4 days) under strict observation.

Within three days he began laughing uncontrollably at things that weren’t funny. He then became upset for no reason, and then paranoid, accusing the lab technicians of trying to kill him.

After his 200-hour wake-a-thon, Peter Tripp slept for 13 hours before returning to a normal sleep schedule. However, his family and friends say his personality changed after the sleep deprivation study, and he went on to have four divorces.

and...

In 1964, Randy Gardner, a 17-year-old student, set a new Guinness World Record by staying awake for 264 hours (11 days) straight.

Unlike Peter Tripp, Gardner didn’t use any stimulants to stay awake. The effects of sleep deprivation on Gardner included moodiness, paranoia and hallucinations. He also demonstrated a lack of concentration, forgetting how to do the simple math problems set by the sleep researchers. He slept for 15 hours at the end of the wake-a-thon, but showed no long term side effects.

Read more at Suite101: The Effects of Sleep Deprivation: The Mental and Physical Symptoms of Staying Awake Too Long | Suite101.com rebecca-turner.suite101.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Good luck, friend!

I think my personal best (without illegal help
) was about 55 hours over a VERY long weekend. I was not in a good way lol.

Peace

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

I'm going to try an experiement. i'm going to try and stay awake as long as possible.

That's perhaps not the best idea anyone's ever had. This thread might explain why: The Russian Sleep experiment.

(The above is probably not a true story in all honesty... but It still makes me want to not go any serious length of time without sleep now, lol)
edit on 10-10-2011 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

There are a lot of cases where people never slept:

The Man who didn't sleep- Roger Ebert's Journal

NPR

Daily Mail

Most ended very poorly, you may want to reconsider your experiment!

edit on 10-10-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devestator
It's now 8.30pm from the start of my experiment i want to press on i believe after a few days we can overcome the need to sleep all together

After reading this confusing statement - I think that you may be losing it already. Go to bed!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Devestator

Yes, but it even may end fatal. Sleep is natural process our body and mainly brain needs, you can't overcome it.
I remember quite well some sort of competition, think it was film marathon, one of competitors died as a result.

I strongly advise you to end this experiment, it will eventually affect your both mental and physical health, only question is how much your body can take as it's individual matter, and can be altered by training.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
You'll be fine.
I'm in the habit of staying up 3 days straight every week.
The only helper I use is coffee, and keeping occupied.

So long as you stay occupied and engaged with an active mind, you'll breeze through.

The longest I usually go is 5 days straight, and even then I'm not any less or more impaired than I was on the first night.

Train yourself into getting into a routine of staying up 3 days straight a week and you'll be doing the same.

You may also want to look into Caloric Restriction. I only eat once a day, though I'm always drinking either coffee or water, always staying hydrated.
Caloric Restriction and Longevity

edit on 10-10-2011 by nineix because: added caloric restriction info

edit on 10-10-2011 by nineix because: spelling correction

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Are you trying to win a Darwin award?
:O
Just asking...your body must have rest, that is the law of nature.
Good luck but

www.darwinawards.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I reckon i'll be fine if some of the guys here can do it 2-3 days straight i'll have no worries at all.

Well i think the biggest problem i'm going to have is boredom i play games a lot but i find i'm getting bored of things very quickly now

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Don't listen to the detractors.
There's tons of urban myth about the horrible effects of not sleeping, but, in training myself just through habit in going 3 days straight without sleep every week, I suspect there's a worldwide disinformation scheme.
I don't know why there'd be such a huge disinformation blanket for going without sleep, but, from my own experience, I'm quite healthy, trim, fit, never get sick, and rather enjoy not sleeping.

I also practice caloric restriction, eating only once a day, though as mentioned previously I'm also always drinking coffee and water to maintain hydration.

No ill effect here.
I'll go jog an easy mile or two no problem.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Everything sleeps or at least goes into a resting or dormant state, even plants. It's just the way we are made..we need it to function properly and maintain our health, both physical and mental. I know i'm not a pleasant person to be around if I'm lacking sleep, that's for sure.

I'd just say be careful because you only have one body and one mind. You don't want to break either of them. You may see sleep as a waste of life but what good is life if you're incapable of enjoying it? Sleep helps us get the most out of our lives. If you're miserable, tired, fighting to keep yourself occupied...how can you enjoy that? I look at that with lots of things, including eating and exercise and whatever else that can create both pleasure and pain. Everything in moderation--not too little, not too much.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If you MUST not sleep, then you ought to just reduce the amount of time. The reason we need 8 hours is to HEAL. If you're healthy, you can jump start your REM in a 2 hour sleep cycle..or even less.

Mind you, I have no intent of doing it:

Leonardo da Vinci is thought to have done something similar.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If I remember correctly I saw a study somewhere, (some college can't remember,) but it said that after a 24 hour period your body has the same affects to it as a person who has a .8 B.A.C. So please be careful and don't drive.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Any chance of an update? I be curious to know how you feel you're functioning...100%, 60%? Also if you've slept, what made you finally sleep and how long did you sleep?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Yeh time for an update

i've lost track of time really, i feel fine living off caffeine but it gave me a downer so i now use no doze to stay awake about to drive 700km to a mine site and do 2 weeks work so be interesting to see how i function over 2 weeks with no sleep

have not slept yet but i sat down and rested for an hour and half watching a movie today

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

You're going to drive 700km (430 miles) and then work for weeks in a mine while in your un-rested condition? I'd rethink that because you wouldn't want to hurt someone either on the road or at work - for the sake of an experiment.

If you do make it there unscathed I think you have an obligation to tell your co-workers that you haven't slept for, what 72 hours now? ... especially if it's dangerous work...and is anything inside a mine shaft not dangerous?

Would you say you're at 100% ???

Good luck

Also, NoDoz is a caffeine pill, literally that is the only ingredients in there according to drugs.com

edit on 10/11/2011 by RedParrotHead because: nodoz info

edit on 10/11/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

whatever this guys, got nothing on me.. ive been awake for the past three years! beat that!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
didn't last long anyway i fell asleep all i did was sit down in my car and woke up 5 hours later

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Be thankful you weren't driving when your body shut down. I read somewhere that driving is hypnotic when your're tired, something about the pattern of the lines on the road and passing cars.

Did this experience change your views on eliminating sleep altogether?

top topics

join