It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

First, I must say that my plan has always been not to let my children get into situations where they might break their bones, or swallow a balloon and choke. Not so much over-careful parenting as blindingly obvious, don't you think? Judging from some of the dumb responses on this thread it looks like written warnings might be quite helpful - if the posters can manage to read them.

Second, the 'Telegraph' is no better than the 'Daily Mail' when it comes to publishing scare stories about the EU. Both are owned by very rich proprietors whose priority is staying that way.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Snippy23

Very true-Its all about common sense.A law should not be needed for something which is a given.
Now a law to teach people in schools about common sense I could go with.
Rather that than banning contact games alltogether.

When kids play they learn important things.
They should not be restricted from learning,but a bit of common sense should be applied.

And yeah the Telegraph is as rough as the Mail.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Are they going to arrest children now?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

You are so right, I have 9 kids and they were supervised closely with balloon's. Does anyone remember the story of the child who went in a coma from a balloon and the father pulled the plug. That case made me very cautious with balloon's.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75

Care to elaborate rather than just insult?

yeah, you are saying that because x will happen y automatically happens- ie, if a kid unfortunately sucks too hard on a balloon and chokes to death it is just a stupid kid and will definitely die in another "stupid" manner

Just ridiculous
edit on 10-10-2011 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

No, it's simply common sense...As you will see if you read my comment again, I was speaking of kids a bit older....if you're 8 year old chokes a balloon...then yes, she is indeed stupid, and will likely suck on other things, until something kills her. But if you have a 1 or 2 year old sucking on a balloon...then the parents are at fault for letting the kid play with such an item. Stupid people end up doing stupid things....Stupid kids do stupid things too....If you're 8 and you're too stupid to know not to suck on a balloon instead of blow, then you're likely to kill yourself off in some fashion.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dougb1115

You are so right, I have 9 kids and they were supervised closely with balloon's. Does anyone remember the story of the child who went in a coma from a balloon and the father pulled the plug. That case made me very cautious with balloon's.

9 kids???!!!

Kudos to you

Common sense dictates swallowing balloons=bad

How did the human race survive without eu busy bodies hey?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Keyword here is unsupervised. Dont know why they would make up this story. It's already illegal. It's called reckless endangerment.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

Care to elaborate rather than just insult?

yeah, you are saying that because x will happen y automatically happens- ie, if a kid unfortunately sucks too hard on a balloon and chokes to death it is just a stupid kid and will definitely die in another "stupid" manner

Just ridiculous
edit on 10-10-2011 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

No, it's simply common sense...As you will see if you read my comment again, I was speaking of kids a bit older....if you're 8 year old chokes a balloon...then yes, she is indeed stupid, and will likely suck on other things, until something kills her. But if you have a 1 or 2 year old sucking on a balloon...then the parents are at fault for letting the kid play with such an item. Stupid people end up doing stupid things....Stupid kids do stupid things too....If you're 8 and you're too stupid to know not to suck on a balloon instead of blow, then you're likely to kill yourself off in some fashion.

If a child chokes on a balloon why would you assume they are stupid?
Children at parties are going to be surrounded by other children. If a child is attempting to blow up a balloon and other boisterous kids around knock and wind them they are likely to choke on a damn balloon.
Your view is as backward as if I suggested anyone who choked accidentally on a peanut deserves a Darwin award.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

...the war machine springs to life, and opens up one eager eye...

xP
edit on 10-10-2011 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanBI will not have some unaccountable foriegn schmuk

Please tell me you're using that word to be ironic or something? Your embrace of non-British language seems at odds with your overall view point

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Your title is misleading.. No one is being banned it is a warning only.. What is wrong with that it seems reasonable to me..

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by EvanB

Your title is misleading.. No one is being banned it is a warning only.. What is wrong with that it seems reasonable to me..

The title is from the headline

ATS t and c's and all that

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I hope you don't mind me posting this. It seems appropriate.

Those of us born in the
1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum and some bangers to blow up frogs with.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,
no video/dvd films,
no mobile phones, no personal computers Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on
MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's alwaysruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora' and 'Blade' and 'Ridge' and 'Vanilla'

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL !

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Tell this to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Peace

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

Oh gosh, yes! The joy of persistent ringworm, rickets and polio, my friend who died of asthma when he was 11 because there was no adequate treatment, the kids living out their short lives in iron lungs because there was no vaccination for TB. The great majority of families couldn't afford cars, and a lot of kids, at least where I lived on the east side of London, were lucky if they saw the countryside, or had all those trees to fall out of. And far from all families living on one adult's wages, because there was no minimum wage and some wages were crap and just exploited the least able.

And what a pleasure it is to recall uncontrolled playground bullying, and the sadsim all too often behind corporal punishment in schools (you haven't lived till you've seen a 5-year old girl caned in front of a class of 54 children, hit six times on the same hand until she was screaming (that was in 1956).

Finally, who would have missed the rampant racism with no law to control it, signs in the windows of lodging houses, pubs and rooms to rent saying 'No blacks or Irish', a local Jewish widow who had managed to survive the war, known as 'the Jewess' and not by her name, and me being seen as daring for having the only Jewish boy in my school as a friend.

You can live in your dream, absurd as it is. I'll keep hoping that life continues to improve, with the help of those we choose to represent us.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Snippy23 because: grammar

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

So damm true, nowadays all the kids seem to have Asthma or Hayfever, are not allowed to run in school in case they fall over, playing conkers or climbing trees is out......oooohhh to dangerous.......why oh why, because if anything happens these days that construdes as an accident then a lawyer ain't far behind offering 5k less their %.

Let kids grow up ffs, if we pander anymore and worry that little Brittani or Ollie will get hurt then zombies will become real for we will have more than one generation that have know idea on how to do anything or the dangers because of all the PC molly coddling

Common sense seems to be history!!!

Wolfie

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

The title is from the headline ATS t and c's and all that

yes but you did nothing to clarify it.... it looks like a rant to me...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I agree with this ruling. Kids are obviously getting more stupid by the day so banning them from blowing up balloons will result in fewer balloon related fatalities I'm sure......

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Thats what the rest of us call a disclaimer, that way when something bad happens your company cannot be held accountable

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by EvanB

The title is from the headline ATS t and c's and all that

yes but you did nothing to clarify it.... it looks like a rant to me...

Get over yourself

Dont like it? Dont read it.

Simples

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You can still buy these things for your child, and allow your child to use them. They are not "banned" as such.

Except...

...anyone else dealing with your child (school, nursery, activity club, party organisers etc) would be foolish to allow a child in their care to use an item that is marked as unsafe for that age group. Their insurers would not allow it for a start. I am not familiar with this area of law but I'm certain they would be regulated businesses as they deal with children, and that the regulations would most likely prevent them allowing the use of age-inappropriate equipment. The implications in terms if liability if something goes wrong would make the lawyers drool.

Fine, so you have your party at home. What about all the children you invite? Have you checked that the parents are ok with them using age-inappropriate toys? If there is an accident with those toys, are you prepared to be liable? You shouldn't need to even consider these questions, but we've built ourselves a society where every step is an opportunity to break some eggshells.

Ok, so these toys are not banned. You can sit at home and give your child a balloon to inflate. If, heaven forbid, you find yourself involved with social workers, I have no doubt that this exposure to danger will be noted.

Whether or not the legislation is ridiculous (which is a debate entirely in itself) it is disingenuous to say that the ban is pointless or ineffective.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join