It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Yeah I saw the rules on how law enforcement must act put out by the EU. All I can say is it looks like it as written by the criminals themselves. Cant handcuff a person with their hands behind their back, you must immediately inform them of what they are being charged with, even though thats up to the Prosecutor.

I think the people in the EU should get together and start drafting legislation that explains how the EU government should act, how to properly use a bathroom, how many seconds to hold the flush before letting go of it, how many times they must use up and donw strokes while brushing their teeth, in addition to specifying the time of 5am-6am to brush your teeth. Anyhting outisde of that time and you cant brush your teeth.

/end sarcasm

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Maybe they should ban shoe laces too, lest our little mites trip on them and hurt themselves

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
What I find cringeworthy even more so is the attack on common sense and increasing nit picky legislation that, from the article

" Frank Furedi, professor of sociology at the University of Kent, warned that toy safety bans were part of a trend to micro- manage children's lives at the expense of allowing them to explore, learn and have fun through play"

I am the parent, not the government. I decide what is best for my kids.

This is yet another chipping away at civil liberties in the guise of health and safety. You give them an inch and they govern every aspect of life even how you raise your kids, and we get to pay for it all!

Maybe my point is lost on you.

It's just a safety warning. There is no micromanagement here, nor an attack on civil liberties. They aren't governing anything, they just want a warning on the dangers of choking, just like the warnings that were on every toy with small parts long before we joined the EU. You're looking for something to moan at, because it is all you are capable of doing.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Walkers because: removing quote blackhole

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkers

It reminds me of the warnings that are put on irons. Do not iron clothing while wearing them.

Sometimes, a persons purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

Care to elaborate rather than just insult?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Outrageous !!!! what the F**K are EU leaders doing ?! next thing you'll hear "children cant wipe own arse EU fears paper cuts"

Stop F**king around and sort out WORLD PROBLEMS !

this sort of "news" just makes me want to leave this Planet.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
reply to post by blueorder

Care to elaborate rather than just insult?

yeah, you are saying that because x will happen y automatically happens- ie, if a kid unfortunately sucks too hard on a balloon and chokes to death it is just a stupid kid and will definitely die in another "stupid" manner

Just ridiculous
edit on 10-10-2011 by blueorder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Walkers

It reminds me of the warnings that are put on irons. Do not iron clothing while wearing them.

Sometimes, a persons purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Around the 5th my town has the warning "Volenti non fit injuria" due to stupid people thinking it safe to be in the midst of people behaving like big kids so I lean towards feeling warnings are good..

The purpose of this vid is to demonstrate the validity of said warning.
edit on 10/10/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Idiots!!
Things like this really boil my p!$$
Why can't they put OUR money into something usefull, something that will benefit mankind!! Would love to know how much money has been spent to come to the conclusion that something that has been going on for ever is now suddenly a mortal hazard!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think it's ok for kids to blow up balloons as long as they wear safety glasses , protective gloves and are monitored by at least 2 adults.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
As a self-appointed toy industry expert, I can tell you the industry looks at those as examples of warning labels gone too far.

The problem with a balloon and what makes it different than an iron is, the hazard with the iron being extremely hot is relatively obvious. The hazard with the balloon isn't so obvious, and some people might not be aware of it.

So if the manufacturers adding a warning saves a few kids lives, and they don't have to spend a lot of extra money for the warnings (in this case, they probably don't), I'm in favor of saving the kids lives. It's not taking away any of your parental rights so I don't think some of the people posting in this thread even know what the heck they are ranting about. This case really isn't even questionable, it's pretty clear cut that with the hazard not being so obvious to everyone, it helps to inform those who may not be aware of the hazard.

When it gets silly is having to warn people the iron is hot. Yes that seems silly. I'm sure McDonalds felt this way and that they'd win their case when a customer found out that their hot coffee was hot. But, McDonald's lost the case. So now their coffee isn't as hot, AND they added a warning, I think. The problem there is probably too many greedy lawyers.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Nanny State Alert!

EU members have fun with that.

Everyone else, it's already here, whether you've noticed or not. Maybe just not this bad yet.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
It's too late, people!

The crack down has already begun.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Those poor guys at the EU must be flat out, having meetings about meetings, then having to do the chore of a 5 star lunch, to arrange a meeting about another meeting on the deadly balloon fiasco, griping the world.

So give these guys a break, its not easy being a EU bureaucrat, with 5 star perks, paid for by the hardworking tax payer.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion
It's too late, people!

The crack down has already begun.

Remember, all you troopers, shoot the entire family.....

But don't forget to pop the balloons on the way out.

Nice post, gets the point across nicely. A star on you.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I've never let any child of mine attempt to blow a balloon up under the age of ten, so this doesn't get my heckles up as opposed to say, playing conkers being banned.
Even supervised small children can have accidents and choke, trying to extract a balloon from half way down a child's throat isn't my idea of a fun time. It's game over..Better safe than sorry in this case.

As far as soft toys having to be fully washable, that's a damn good idea.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

Totally agree Sussy

But you did not need a multi million pound eu commission, paid for by us, to tell you that hey?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
What can I say?..
Nanny State Beer

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You may all mock but thankfully EU ministers take such dangers seriously as Alistair Darling here clearly shows during the EU Balloon Debate.

Al-Qaeda may be diminished but balloons are still a threat! Be alert!!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion
You may all mock but thankfully EU ministers take such dangers seriously as Alistair Darling here clearly shows during the EU Balloon Debate.

Al-Qaeda may be diminished but balloons are still a threat! Be alert!!
I hope that they realize how silly that looks.

Was it a photo op? If so they need mental evaluations done, pronto.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
I will not have some unaccountable foriegn schmuk dictate how I will parent my kids nor will I allow them to be conditioned to obey this monsterous and tyrannical organisation.

My kids will have a childhood, they will play pass the parcel, blow up balloons, climb trees, graze their knees or even break a bone if their playing and having fun makes that happen.

They will not however be dictated to by some vile unelected, foriegn monney grabbing tossbags who think they have power over my kids.

A massive "Amen" to that brother.
The best few sentences I have read on ATS for a while.
If I could fit that in my sig,It would be there,believe me.
Great words.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join