It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

www.telegra ph.co.uk

Children are to be banned from taking part in traditional Christmas games, from blowing up balloons to blowing on party whistles, because of new EU safety rules that have just entered into force The EU toy safety directive, agreed and mplemented by Government, states that balloons must not be blown up by unsupervised children under the age of eight, in case they accidentally swallow them and choke. Despite having been popular favourites for generations of children, party games including whist
(visit the link for the full news article)

link   
Wow

No this is not a daily mail story to bring up the blood pressure but yet another example of why we should get the hell out of the eu.

I will not have some unaccountable foriegn schmuk dictate how I will parent my kids nor will I allow them to be conditioned to obey this monsterous and tyrannical organisation.

My kids will have a childhood, they will play pass the parcel, blow up balloons, climb trees, graze their knees or even break a bone if their playing and having fun makes that happen.

They will not however be dictated to by some vile unelected, foriegn monney grabbing tossbags who think they have power over my kids.

If my country does not dump the eu soon, I will raise my kids to fight their power and be a royal pain in the arse against any eu intergration.

www.telegra ph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 10-10-2011 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

link   
That sounds like a load of crap. Oh wait, it's in the Torygraph, it IS a load of crap!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I would consider myself right of the laughable Tories (they are not right wing) and wish to extract our nation from the EU, but I would not let my four year old blow up a balloon on her own, one of those goes down her throat and it is a prolonged choking death

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Walkers

Torygraph lol

Better than the guardyourbum

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
I would consider myself right of the laughable Tories (they are not right wing) and wish to extract our nation from the EU, but I would not let my four year old blow up a balloon on her own, one of those goes down her throat and it is a prolonged choking death

I agree, but that is YOUR responsability to take care of and common sense.

Do you need a eu dictate for that?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB
reply to post by Walkers

Torygraph lol

Well, I don't read any newspapers because they are all rubbish. Having read the article, maybe you'd like to point out exactly where it says they are to be "banned" from doing anything?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

no, but how would they stop me?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Exactly

Wonder how much this pathetic nonesense cost then hey?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Exactly

Wonder how much this pathetic nonesense cost then hey?

No doubt, more dosh needlessly wasted- I am just wondering where they are talking about, in the home, at school etc?

Not even the EU would be brazen enough to dictate about the home in respect of blowing up balloons? *though would not be surprised*

link   

Originally posted by Walkers

reply to post by Walkers

Torygraph lol

Well, I don't read any newspapers because they are all rubbish. Having read the article, maybe you'd like to point out exactly where it says they are to be "banned" from doing anything?

All the way through the article actually

You should read it again lol

link   

The headline (in the tele, repeated here) is a sensationalist LIE.
Children are not banned from doing this.

The news article refers to the fact that under new EU rules, a safety warning must be on the item.
There appears, as near as I can see, to be no rule that actully enforces the instructions on the warning label.
Just that the warning label has to be there.

Edit - the PDF file for the Directive 2009/48/EC can be found at this link HERE

...although there in no mention of Balloons.
That pdf is dated June 2009 so its likely they've just revised it and it isnt on the web site yet.
Either way, it doesnt matter because the whole directive is aimed at manufacturers having to label things correctly and make the toy safe.

Children, and the adults who purchase them, can do whatever the hell they like. The EU directive doesnt have anything to do with them at all.

Edit again - ATS doesnt like that URL for the pdf file. The EU website is here

edit on 10-10-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-10-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

reply to post by Walkers

Torygraph lol

No, what it says is, "Don't let young children blow up balloons unsupervised, lest they choke". It doesn't mention an outright ban, it doesn't state that it will be illegal. I don't support the EU, but I find people like you; nitpicking at nonstories to generate anger at nothing even more cringeworthy.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
*shakes fist*
Curse you evil balloons!

I think next, all children under the age of twelve should just eat soft foods.
The wee darlings might choke!

PC nonsense!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

The headline (in the tele, repeated here) is a sensationalist LIE.
Children are not banned from doing this.

The news article refers to the fact that under new EU rules, a safety warning must be on the item.
There appears, as near as I can see, to be no rule that actully enforces the instructions on the warning label.
Just that the warning label has to be there.

whilst the article may no be overly clear, that does not in fact appear to be the case, the article states

"The EU directive will also force manufacturers and retailers to attach safety warnings to toys hitherto regarded as harmless. "

key word there is "also", in other words this is in addition to the ban- now admittedly, as mentioned above, the article is not overly illuminating on where/how this ban is taking place but, if that article is correct, it is not just about a safety wording on the items

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

I'm not familiar with this paper, but it didn't seem to offer any links proving anything it said....it also seemed to be a bit evasive and cotridictary about what it was really saying....first they are banned outright...then they simply require warning labels later in the article.

Seemed like a load of rubbish...reminds me of the kind of right wing scare tactic articles I read in America.

None the less...on the off chance that everything it said is legit....I'll only offer one bit of advice. A kid dumb enough to choke on a balloon or a party whistle is going to be dumb enough to kill themselves off by some other method that no one will ever see coming. Or if the children are simply extraordinarily young, (like 1 or 2) and the parents are letting them play with anything big enough to swallow..... then unfortunately the parents would end up killing their kids eventually anyway from letting them swallow rocks or play with a fork and light socket or something.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bhornbuckle75
None the less...on the off chance that everything it said is legit....I'll only offer one bit of advice. A kid dumb enough to choke on a balloon or a party whistle is going to be dumb enough to kill themselves off by some other method that no one will ever see coming. Or if the children are simply extraordinarily young, (like 1 or 2) and the parents are letting them play with anything big enough to swallow..... then unfortunately the parents would end up killing their kids eventually anyway from letting them swallow rocks or play with a fork and light socket or something.

what a ridiculous analysis

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I would concede the point that I cannot see how or where this "ban" would take place- anyone got any other info on it?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

reply to post by Walkers

Torygraph lol

No, what it says is, "Don't let young children blow up balloons unsupervised, lest they choke". It doesn't mention an outright ban, it doesn't state that it will be illegal. I don't support the EU, but I find people like you; nitpicking at nonstories to generate anger at nothing even more cringeworthy.

What I find cringeworthy even more so is the attack on common sense and increasing nit picky legislation that, from the article

" Frank Furedi, professor of sociology at the University of Kent, warned that toy safety bans were part of a trend to micro- manage children's lives at the expense of allowing them to explore, learn and have fun through play"

I am the parent, not the government. I decide what is best for my kids.

This is yet another chipping away at civil liberties in the guise of health and safety. You give them an inch and they govern every aspect of life even how you raise your kids, and we get to pay for it all!

Maybe my point is lost on you.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I've never let any child of mine attempt to blow a balloon up under the age of ten, so this doesn't get my heckles up as opposed to say, playing conkers being banned.
Even supervised small children can have accidents and choke, trying to extract a balloon from half way down a child's throat isn't my idea of a fun time. It's game over..Better safe than sorry in this case.

As far as soft toys having to be fully washable, that's a damn good idea.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join