It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am the 1%

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Due to the recent occupation movement of daily life in America I felt the need to re-introduce myself.

I am the 1%.

I do not borrow money.
I do not accept welfare or unemployment.
I am not a member of a labor union.
I am under-employed and for a long time was unemployed (without help from the government).
I am below the poverty line.
I do believe that if I can not perform my job at a satisfactory level I should be fired, or for any other reason.
I respect the right of my employer to terminate my position, even if it is because he or she just doesn't like me.
I believe I have the same opportunity as everyone.
I believe I can make the most out of any situation.
I do not protest against those who are successful.
I do hope someday to be successful.
I still believe in the american dream.
I do not believe the answer to government corruption is more government.
I do believe in my children.
I do believe in myself.
I believe in family.
I believe in friends.
I believe in neighbors.
I do not believe that you know what is in the best interest for me or my children.
I do not believe that I know what is in the best interest for you and your children.
I do believe that there is a 1% of wealthy americans who have achieved the American Dream.
I do not believe that that qualifies them as being criminals or oppressive.
I do believe that to have 99% there must be 100% and that is true in every circumstance, there is always going to be a top 1%.
I do believe that capitalism is the driving force behind freedom.
I believe in freedom.

Please leave me alone.

I am the 1%.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

Excellent post. I am going to have to steal that from you.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Underworlds because: Correction of what was written.

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

+24 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The 1% are the people that have most of the wealth. By your own admission you are below the poverty line. Therefore, you are not the 1% that OccupyWallStreet is concerned about.

You could be a 1%er motorcycle club member. I don't know.

Welcome to ATS anyway. Looking forward to reading your posts.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Please leave me alone. I am the 1%.

Ya think?.. You really have no clue how the 1% operates do you? You might not be so quick to say you are one of them , if you actually knew what they are willing to do, and have done..

It is not the rich that is the 1%..

it is the insanely rich and powerful.. and how they were willing to use your tax dollars for their little secret projects.. and how they manipulated their power, and wealth to control, and suppress, murder, and whatever else they felt entitled to do.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Interesting rant, but if you're trying to insinuate that the %1 have no blood on their hands and the inequality is a natural byproduct of our "flawless" economic system; well then no you're completely and utterly incorrect. There's columns of evidence to show that the most wealthy are in bed with the political elite; which results in a self-sustained circular cannibalism of crony capitalism.

The answer is not more government, as you mentioned in one of the points. And no, capitalism isn't the problem. What's needed is less federal government, less regulations, a TRUE free market; not this distorted market we live in where monopolies arise due to over-regulation and get bailed out because they're "too big to fail".

I'm sorry but if you really believe the 1 percent (or those at the top of the pyramid) are at no fault, then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

You are not the 1%.

Far from it.

They are not against any of the above, or you being any of the above.

We are talking Rockefellers.

Is it a coincidence the Chemical industry is owned by the Rockefellers and prescription drugs is now the #1 cause of death in the US? No they didn't mean to kill anyone but they are not getting any poorer for it.... ads keep running - FDA keeps approving new chemicals and people keep dying for profits. Now they are claiming patent rights to diseases!!! Who else could get away with this but the Rockefellers and their very few peers. OWS of 99% might be crying about the 1% (Rockefellers) making a literal killing running our legal drug industry.

The same with illegal monopolies and practices used by the energy industry, agriculture and finance.

Talking about people who have never gone on the internet themselves.
I think the Queen just got a computer. You know what I mean?

These 1% are not mere attendees but sponsors, the hosts of the Bilderburg Meetings.
They are those 7 that rule the world and a few small concentric circles outside of those circles.

They certainly don't drive on the roads...they are driven. They are on yachts off shore and in private jets above our crumbling infrastructure. Above the fray.

And then there is the rest of us.

1% ers would not be on ATS. Sorry bro.

You might be wishing you were a 1% er.

Maybe in the next life.

edit on 10-10-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Are you a billionaire?

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Poor soul, thinking you're part of the 1%.

Look up how your top 500 most wealthy people gained their wealth aside from the lucky few it's mostly old money.
Don't get me wrong I think you're probably a good person but rethink your aversion towards the OWS movement.

They are probably more on your side than you realize

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
Due to the recent occupation movement of daily life in America I felt the need to re-introduce myself.

I am the 1%.

I do not borrow money.
I do not accept welfare or unemployment.
I am not a member of a labor union.
I am under-employed and for a long time was unemployed (without help from the government).
I am below the poverty line.
I do believe that if I can not perform my job at a satisfactory level I should be fired, or for any other reason.
I respect the right of my employer to terminate my position, even if it is because he or she just doesn't like me.
I believe I have the same opportunity as everyone.
I believe I can make the most out of any situation.
I do not protest against those who are successful.
I do hope someday to be successful.
I do not believe the answer to government corruption is more government.
I do believe in my children.
I do believe in myself.
I believe in family.
I believe in friends.
I believe in neighbors.
I do not believe that you know what is in the best interest for me or my children.
I do not believe that I know what is in the best interest for you and your children.
I do believe that there is a 1% of wealthy americans who have achieved the American Dream.
I do not believe that that qualifies them as being criminals or oppressive.
I do believe that to have 99% there must be 100% and that is true in every circumstance, there is always going to be a top 1%.
I do believe that capitalism is the driving force behind freedom.
I believe in freedom.

Please leave me alone.

I am the 1%.

No, you are part of the 99%.

wearethe99percent.tumblr.com...
edit on 10-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Trying to understand your reasoning behind all this.

Maybe move it to jokes??

edit on 10-10-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
This is for those of us everyday americans that are being undermined by the OWS movement.

Thank you for reading.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I think these 2 guys are definitely part of the 1% the OWS group might be speaking of.

No matter what you donate as a patron of the arts, or to the Metropolitan Opera House, you should not be able to dictate government. That has to be ILLEGAL.

With his brother Charles, who is seventy-four, David Koch owns virtually all of Koch Industries, a conglomerate, headquartered in Wichita, Kansas, whose annual revenues are estimated to be a hundred billion dollars. The company has grown spectacularly since their father, Fred, died, in 1967, and the brothers took charge. The Kochs operate oil refineries in Alaska, Texas, and Minnesota, and control some four thousand miles of pipeline. Koch Industries owns Brawny paper towels, Dixie cups, Georgia-Pacific lumber, Stainmaster carpet, and Lycra, among other products. Forbes ranks it as the second-largest private company in the country, after Cargill, and its consistent profitability has made David and Charles Koch—who, years ago, bought out two other brothers—among the richest men in America. Their combined fortune of thirty-five billion dollars is exceeded only by those of Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. from the issue cartoon bank e-mail this The Kochs are longtime libertarians who believe in drastically lower personal and corporate taxes, minimal social services for the needy, and much less oversight of industry—especially environmental regulation. These views dovetail with the brothers’ corporate interests. In a study released this spring, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst’s Political Economy Research Institute named Koch Industries one of the top ten air polluters in the United States.

Read more www.newyorker.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
While many of your affirmations such as "I believe in family, friends, more government=Bad" are something I could certainly stand behind, it appears that your percentage is exactly what the truly 1% wants you to feel.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
OP, maybe you should open your eyes for a bit.

The entire economy is screwed and no one knows how to fix it, the system is rigged.

Strong Language

Mod Note:

15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

edit on 10-10-2011 by b3l13v3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I think you are missing the actual reason why people are calling 'them' the 1%.
It has nothing at all to do with them being a success, because technically the only thing alot of these people have managed to succeed at is cheating, lying and stealing.

The end result does not justify the process.

If you want to live in a world where you have an equal, truly equal ability to make a go in life, have a job, raise a family, be actively social and political and experience the lifestyle you choose then you are certainly not one of the 1%.

I can see where you are coming from, i really can, but i think that there is a ton of info that you may not have had the good fortune to be privy to as yet.

If for no other reason, the latest occurances in this world of ours represents an effort to adjust the flaws in a system that we have been working on since people first started grouping themselves together in communities.

It is all about change, it is all about ensuring that things do not stagnate. It is about stopping the people that have found the loopholes in the way things work and used them in a very selfish way to better their own position at the expense of everyone else.

Sure these people may have used the 'rules' and the system to get to where they are but the real issue is that they have exploited weakness's and loopholes.

Wouldn't you prefer to live in a world where there is no unemployment? a world where social security is not needed because there is a useful, productive and fulfilling place for everyone?

Sound like a pipe dream? Well consider that flight was once a crazy dream as was space travel and man walking on the moon.

These things remain crazy dreams for only as long as people think of them as such. We, ie: Humanity, can achieve anything that we can imagine. The only boundaries are time, willingness and effort.

If you are penniless, unemployed and have no desire to use unfair advantage or 'cheats/bugs/glitch's' in the system to climb over the backs of others to make yourself powerful then you are NOT the 1%

Not even the 1%'s staff and servants are part of the 1%
Millionaires are not even really part of the 1%
Even people that tow the line either knowingly or not (like Oprah) are not part of the 1%

Think about it. look into the whole issue some more and if you still consider yourself to be part of the 1% then ok. Seeing as part of what the 99% is striving for is the freedom to express yourself and forge your own beliefs and identities then i guess i have no place to argue with you.

Having said that, the reason i respond like this is because reading your post, for me, felt like looking at a clear blue sky and having someone tell me it is bright red with purple poka dots.
I don't think we are looking at the same sky.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raelsatu
Interesting rant, but if you're trying to insinuate that the %1 have no blood on their hands and the inequality is a natural byproduct of our "flawless" economic system; well then no you're completely and utterly incorrect. There's columns of evidence to show that the most wealthy are in bed with the political elite; which results in a self-sustained circular cannibalism of crony capitalism.

The answer is not more government, as you mentioned in one of the points. And no, capitalism isn't the problem. What's needed is less federal government, less regulations, a TRUE free market; not this distorted market we live in where monopolies arise due to over-regulation and get bailed out because they're "too big to fail".

I'm sorry but if you really believe the 1 percent (or those at the top of the pyramid) are at no fault, then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

This! Look I understand your sentiments honeycomb(my favorite cereal as a kid) but the answer isn't to lie down and pretend that everything is honky dory and that everyone there protesting is Un-American or lazy. Or pretending that the American dream hasn't been Hijacked by Corporations the Government.
edit on 10/10/2011 by Mcupobob because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

God bless you sir.

You are the true 1%.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
You are another individual who is MISSING THE POINT. Apparently either I am a genius, or what all of these people are protesting against is too difficult for the majority to grasp. I refuse to once again, as I have elsewhere, break this down for you. This thread is pointless, and I wouldn't have had to create this pointless comment if you hadn't created it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
It's called the "American Dream" for a reason, because it isn't reality.

It's time to wake up from the idea of this "American Dream". It's time to stop living the life you've been told to live. It's time to start living the life you've been dreaming of.

So, yes, in a way, the 99% are trying to destroy the American Dream. They're trying to wake you up from it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join