It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear skeptics...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Just a few questions, some hypothetical...

Im not here to judge you on your opinion so dont judge me!
Why do you think aliens arent real given theres billions upon billions of stars?
Is it against your religion?
Does it scare you?
If aliens showed up and proved to you that every belief system you ever had was not true, how would you feel?
What if they showed up to help you and your family live, would you go with them?
What if they break the cycles of lies and wars with just by them showing us are true nature?
Heres my answer... I believe the universe is a garden for life. Its not against my religion even though I consider myself christian. Doesn't
Scare me because death is a hallelujah from this world and thats the worst thing that can happen and highly doubt that they would be evil, although their probably are evil ones but hey were still here! I would love for the truth of are true nature to come out and belief systems to crumble. Id help my loved ones the best I know how to and they'd know better than me..I would and could never be the same and I know anyone else could be either, this world would be in shock and thats why I think they are waiting until we absolutely need them.
Now lets see if you can make it through without judging me, but it doesnt matter because one glorious day you'll judge yourself. : )

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BroketheWall

Why do you think aliens aren't real given there's billions upon billions of stars?
Seeing as we have other planets in the solar system, I am inclined to believe that Aliens from another planet do coexist with today's world. Why they keep it secret? Is beyond me. You can't deny for a given fact, that we are the ONLY life-form planet in the whole solar system.

No, I have no religion. I worship no one.

Does it scare you?
No, Bring it on.

If aliens showed up and proved to you that every belief system you ever had was not true, how would you feel?
Cold as ice. Probably wouldn't be surprised.

What if they showed up to help you and your family live, would you go with them?
Yes, might have a better system setup then the one we have now.

What if they break the cycles of lies and wars with just by them showing us are true nature?
That will be a first. And would be interesting to watch.

edit on 10-10-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

I'd say it's a combination of all of the above.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Why do you think aliens arent real given theres billions upon billions of stars?
People constantly use this in discussions about skeptics and they obviously have no idea what the skeptic position is.

Most skeptics will admit there could be lots of other life out there, maybe even intelligent life. That's not what they are skeptical of.

They are only skeptical about the evidence that such life has visited Earth, because it really doesn't amount to anything conclusive. All we can really say is some cases are unknown.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson explains the skeptical position pretty well in this video, and note he doesn't say anything about aliens not existing:

Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson on UFOs

Just before 6 minutes in the video, he says "Maybe you did see visitors from another galaxy...", then he goes on to describe the kind of evidence that would or would not convince a skeptic that you really had seen that. So he's definitely not ruling out the existence of aliens. He's just got standards for the type of evidence that will be considered convincing, like most skeptics do.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_slide

Well thats vague...maybe you could elaborate a little more!?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Does it scare you?
Heres my answer... I believe the universe is a garden for life. Its not against my religion even though I consider myself christian. Doesn't
Scare me because death is a hallelujah from this world and thats the worst thing that can happen and highly doubt that they would be evil, although their probably are evil ones but hey were still here! I would love for the truth of are true nature to come out and belief systems to crumble. Id help my loved ones the best I know how to and they'd know better than me..I would and could never be the same and I know anyone else could be either, this world would be in shock and thats why I think they are waiting until we absolutely need them.
Now lets see if you can make it through without judging me, but it doesnt matter because one glorious day you'll judge yourself. : )

1. I actually beleive that life somewhere else absolutely should exist. As to whether any intelligent life from somewhere else is visiting the planet Earth, well, that's a completely different thing.
2. I'm an atheist, so, I have no religion for the existence of aliens to go against.
3. No, the prospect of aliens does not scare me. I'll gladly take the booty probe AND the microchip implant if it means I get to meet real live aliens.
4. So, if aliens showed up and told me there actually was such a thing as a god, I'd happily ask for them to prove it. I'm not falling for no silly fairy dust crap just because an advanced technological species says so.
5. Hell yeah, if aliens showed up and wanted to give me a job, or offered to immigrate me to some other planet, or even just have me along as the janitor on their ship, I'd drop everything, and everyone to go.
6. Breaking cycles of lies and injustices all over the planet is a nobel and fine deed. If aliens popped up one day and did it, well, good for them. I'd give them a cigar and a cold beer.

As for all the spooky stuff you're talking about after your questions, you may want to talk to somebody about about all that, get some medication. It'll be okay. Beleive me, it will.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

He makes some valid points, but thats what I expect from a scientist its his job to be a skeptic. Note how the crowd laughs at the whole subject being brought up. Thats why I asked my questions because whats so funny about it ,if it is possible. Thats my arguement it is taboo for most people but totally possible!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

I have never seen that video clip before nor heard of the bloke but I thought it was very entertaining.
I will chase his other video's up.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix

Hahaha you hilarious! You might not be scared of probes and microchips but id say about 99% of the population is! And what spooky stuff...what you had to say was way more spooky!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

He makes some valid points, but thats what I expect from a scientist its his job to be a skeptic. Note how the crowd laughs at the whole subject being brought up. Thats why I asked my questions because whats so funny about it ,if it is possible. Thats my arguement it is taboo for most people but totally possible!
I think he admits it's possible more than once in the video.

What makes people laugh, is when some people make a huge leap from considering what's possible, to exclaiming:

"I just saw a light in the sky! I don't know what it was! It must be aliens!" That's what makes people laugh! That's why people laugh at this 1 minute statement by Dr. Feynman:

The Likelihood of Flying Saucers

Scientists actually take the possibility quite seriously, because we have sent exploration missions to another planet looking for alien life. Granted, it's just Mars, and it's just microbial life they were hoping to find, but it's a serious scientific topic. SETI is another scientific organization that takes alien life quite seriously. It's no joke at SETI, and it's certainly not taboo as you suggest.

Originally posted by OzTiger
I have never seen that video clip before nor heard of the bloke but I thought it was very entertaining.
I will chase his other video's up.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I'll tell you some trivia about that bloke: some people don't like the fact that he was instrumental in getting Pluto demoted from its status as a planet. I didn't like that either when I first heard it, however, I must admit the guy makes good arguments, and he's probably right.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BroketheWall

Given that there are billions of stars, I'm positive there are aliens out there, intelligent even. But stars might just be an illusion in our learning program!

In no way!

Does it scare you?

In no way. The mere fact that we haven't been eradicated by aliens by now let to me believe there is some sort of benevolent rules of engagement.

Highly skeptical. My belief system is love, and being led by my inner voice. The part about love is sort of non-negotiable for me.

My family would have to decide for themselves, I would not go. They didn't help during the dark ages, nor the holocaust. Why would they be here now? I would rather accept my faith of death right beside (on) my true mother!

That is possible. But I believe the point is that we ourselves have to find our true nature. If they come to show us, we as humans would just once again rely on others to take care of our problems. I believe the one and only time they will come to help us advance, is when we understand that we have to help ourselves first. Then we have learned our lesson from this life, which I believe was the whole point all the time, and the reason they have not helped us breaking from the clutches of TPTB.

This is my way of being skeptical of the whole issue. I believe they have been around earth at all times. If an intelligent race learned inter-stellar traveling, it is only reasonable to assume they would have tried to register and map as much of the galaxy as possible. They would have found us sooner or later. I think the former, but we are not ready to engage just quite yet!

edit on 10-10-2011 by OleMB because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Does it scare you?

Why do you start off with 'skeptics' and then go right into religion? You think 'skeptics' are not skeptic about religion? There is nothing wrong with being skeptic tho, i for one believe aliens exist. But people who are skeptic about it, just want some proof to confirm to them that they exist. What is wrong with a bit of proof?

'Skeptics' are not non-believers, there just skeptic about the subject, a skeptic has doubts of it's existance. A non-believer made up his mind already. Look at posts of real skeptics and see how they react on these subjects.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I don't join forums like this to make fun of people nor take sides but to be honest everything I've ever seen on the topic of UFOs and aliens seems to either be hoaxes, some weird weather or atmospheric condition, someones camera or video editing, so there has been zero proof.That said, I have an open mind, I love coming to this site and seeing if I can ever see anything in any of these forums that somehow convinces me that I'm wrong, never happened.

I think nobody has been abducted, I think people like to make up stories to seek fame. And possibly people have done drugs and their mind played tricks on them.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

no they laughed when he paused because they knew what was coming by his facial expression and I know they take it seriously you ever heard of dr. jay allen hynek he was a skeptic until he studied for so long that he believed it! I meant taboo to the general public. Ill give you an example, I live right next to wright patt and I posted on facebook...just seen a ufo over the base, and not a comment from one person or family member and I have over a thousand friends! Not saying it was alien but if someone else posted that I woulda said what did it look like or somethin.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Required01

I was just asking general questions I know most people arent religious on here and for good reason. I didnt say I wasnt a skeptic neither, being a skeptic led me to my beliefs! Remember im not judging you I just eant to know your point of view then ill give you mine... Doesnt mean I want you to think what I think, I want you to find your own information like I did. Its definetly out there!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I was just asking general questions I know most people arent religious on here and for good reason. I didnt say I wasnt a skeptic neither, being a skeptic led me to my beliefs! Remember im not judging you I just eant to know your point of view then ill give you mine... Doesnt mean I want you to think what I think, I want you to find your own information like I did. Its definetly out there!

Then i think you misunderstand what i meant in that post
i didn't think you where forcing your beliefs on people or anything. Just was saying that being skeptic doens't mean that people automaticly don't believe thats all

But yeah, i believe aliens exist, mainly because an article released by NASA this year. For them to release something like this, is a big step i guess but it does leave a lot of room for seculation.
Space.com

This to me gives a lot away just about our galaxy, let alone stand the rest. Also i'm bending towards the ancient astronauts theory, mainly because of all the old paintings, writings, descriptions, drawings, artifacts, etc that are found of things we now describe as aliens or UFO's. But from times where only birds and insects ruled the skies, and not man like today.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Ok then we agree on that then, so I should of been more specific! I seen the link you provided when it first came out and thats what baffles me theres such a wealth of info that people turn a blind eye to and then say theres no evidence!?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Here you go...to quote your guy "astronomers know what the hell there looking at" heres hynek on people who know what the hell there looking at. I dont know how to embed on my phone but heres the link...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I live right next to wright patt and I posted on facebook...just seen a ufo over the base, and not a comment from one person or family member and I have over a thousand friends!
Did it occur to you that nobody finds it particularly strange that people who are near airports or military air bases see things flying?

If I cut off the end of this video, you wouldn't have any idea what it was:

As that video shows, people can see things in the sky flying and not know what they are.

Especially if it's near an airport, it may not be worthy of much comment, since there tend to be flying things near airports, including military air bases.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Ok then we agree on that then, so I should of been more specific! I seen the link you provided when it first came out and thats what baffles me theres such a wealth of info that people turn a blind eye to and then say theres no evidence!?

Yes indeed, well it's a lot of evidence that there are a lot of planets out there that have a possebility of sustaining life, but do they actually have life? The last part leaves open a great window for yet more speculation. And we are so good at that.

But basicly we are blind, as they 'claim' to not have the optics to look and photograph on planet surfaces. So we know that a lot have the potential to sustain life, yet we cannot survey any of those because it's out of our reach. So do we know more? Well yeah we know 2 billion in our galaxy alone are able to sustain life, yet we don't know if they actually do.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join