It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Actress Sentenced To 90 Lashes, 1 Year In Jail, For Role In Film

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Actress Marzieh Vafamehr has been sentenced to a year in jail and 90 lashes for her role in a film about the limits imposed on artists in the Islamic republic, an Iranian opposition website reported Sunday. "A verdict has been issued for Marzieh Vafamehr, sentencing her to a year in jail and 90 lashes," Kalameh.com reported.

"Her lawyer has appealed the sentence, which was handed down yesterday (Saturday)," the report added, without giving further details. Vafamehr was arrested in July after appearing in "My Tehran for Sale," which came under harsh criticism in conservative circles.

I find this sort of thing to be despicable. I am pretty sick and tired of the religious in governments around the world, becoming offended because they feel their religion was defended, which ends in the jailing and torture of citizens, in this case a female actress. Not much to this story yet, but thought it was worth mentioning.

And no, in case you're wondering, I am not anti-Iran, and do not want to go to war with them. Doesn't mean however, that there are things they need to improve on.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
90 lashes!
No way someone could survive that much trauma.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I find this sort of thing completely abhorrent too.
On the other hand, how many different media sources have you checked to verify this story?
This could be true, or it could very well be another one of those MSM pieces designed to foment outrage, and instigate back lash against Iran in a plot the further the whole Arab Spring phenomenon.

I'm not saying this is a false story, but, anything and everything from any media source should be questioned as to whether there may be a political agenda behind the story.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Hi Mystic,

I, too, am tired of religions imposing their rigid rules on people - if you think about it, that is the reason for most wars.

Also, I would like to ask this - if no-one was prepared to administer such barbaric punishment it would not happen - so, who are the sick individuals who probably get a kick out of doing this?

Probably people brainwashed by sick 'religions' (which have nothing to do with a higher being - more like a lower being).

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
yeah, it's horrible, but that's their culture. who are we to say that what they are doing is wrong? i'm sure many of them look at the US and say "i can't believe they let their women dress so scantily! don't they know how horrible that is!"

Look at what most of those countries do to punish those who steal. they usually cut off fingers or hands. DUIs in those countries is sometimes punishable by death.

we may not agree with it and find it totally abhorrent, but it's their laws and culture. no reason to get all uppity about it.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

There is a reason to care about it.

I am not getting all "uppity".

It is a straightforward abuse of human rights.

So where is the mighty USA in standing up for human rights?

Running and hiding, as usual. Because the USA does not care about human rights. Just look at how they treat their own people.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by choppedbrisket
90 lashes!
No way someone could survive that much trauma.

**I agree that much blunt teams would be fatal.I would rather be executed by firing squad.I'm appalled if this story is true.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknowsplusone

But who is the US to say "Hey!! You can't do that! That's mean and cruel!" The US isn't the World's big brother. The US has enough problems to worry about at home. If the Iranian people feel that they are being treated unfairly, let them organize a rebellion and make their own change.

It worked it Egypt and Libya.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
The USA interferes in everyone else's business.

Only if it benefits the USA.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   

I just posted this and then saw your post. I will addd my 2 cents from that thread to this one.

Ironic really...

People really should open their eyes and realize Iran continues to supress its population, and any person who exercises independant thought that doesnt agree with the government / status quo is punished to silence them.

What exactly is the crime in speaking out about limits imposted on artists? To those who continue to maintain the Iranian Government allows a free society needs to get with the program. Its a good thing she didnt use religion anywhere in there, less she be killed for crimes against God, which seems to be another catch all death sentence.

To those from that part of the world / experience with it let me ask this. You guys know my thoughts on the Iranina government and there actions against their own people. My question for you is how do you reconcile your position, that all is ok and any bad press from Iran must be western Propoganda, when cases like this one come to light?

Do you think its ok for a government to punish a person for questioning them?
Do you think the sentence is appropriate to the crime?
What is so wrong with what she did?
Does this further highlight the fact Ahamdenijad says one thing while does something completely different?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by iNkGeEk

Let women dress? Let them? WE do not own women, they are people in their own right an require no permision from me or any other man to do something. Goodness, how repressive is that?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I, like a couple of others have said, don't think that she would survive the lashings. But I highly doubt we will hear any news of her untimely death reported by the media here in the west...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
i dont think they lash her 90 times am sure they will need a break after 30ish or something. jk jk unless this is true

meh idd who are we to tell people how to run their country, if the people dont like it they will soon get rid of their leader else live like that til they die and also dont the good goverments in europe and US still do worst things a 1000 folds to other people around the world and in their country......

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If this is true, I'd like to now why the film makers aren't getting 90 lashes and a year in jail too for their participation in this whole "anti-islam-ism" fiasco.

Oh wait... they have penises.
Nevermind.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
According to a few sources, 80 of the lashes are for her supposedly consuming alcohol in the movie -- Iran prohibits the consumption, manufacturing and trading of alcohol in any form -- the penalty being 80 lashes. But if that was the case, you'd think the film makers would be in the same boat right?

Situations like this really scare me, when the law of a country is nothing more than a tool to rule its people through fear, and not to protect their civil liberties and well-being, something needs to change...

I also agree that a woman--or anyone for that matter--would more than likely die after 90 lashes... I mean, Johnny Rico had a hard enough time surviving ten lashes... let alone 90 (I hope someone gets that reference
)

new topics

top topics

join