It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russian Sleep experiment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
What a fantasticly harrowing story.

Sleep is such a strange thing.

ALS

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Well now, that was quite a read.

Thank you for sharing this information/story.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If I work a 15 hour day followed by an early start I feel almost detached from myself. If I went through that experience for 15 days without sleep i am pretty sure i would end up in a similar frame of mind as those in the ops story.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am deeply disturbed by this "story". I have been up for 4 days straight once and I can see how this story could be true. S + F.
edit on 10-10-2011 by colbyforce because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
If you force consciousness to experience itself without rest, with relentless inpouring of the experience for days upon days you will discover frightful phenomena start to occur. The illusion begins to fade and the reality of this experience wanes to the point where the infinite nature of our being longs to be released from the finite space of the mind/body.

This may be a source of fiction, but there is part of me that has a knowing that a frightening truth lurks within this story.

We are not what we think we are.

This world is not what it seems.

Be Aware.

-GM

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
That first story is a fantastic piece of horrific sc-fi, I hope.

I remember a programme years ago about a scandal in Australia that involved keeping people asleep for months on end. Tried to google for it and this came up.

Australian Chelmsford Scandal

Twenty-six patients died at Chelmsford Private Hospital during the 1960s and 1970s, with only perfunctory investigation by authorities. After the failure of the agencies of medical and criminal investigation to tackle complaints about Chelmsford, a series of articles in the early 1980s in the Sydney Morning Herald exposed the abuses at the hospital and forced the authorities to take action, and a Royal Commission was appointed.[8]

The New South Wales government recently admitted that three people over the last three years had been kept continuously unconscious for 48 hours whilst undergoing ECT

Give the wrong people power over others and they can get very carried away. Frightening stuff.

What Killed Case 98?

Poor unfortunates who got onto the Chelmsford doctors' "conveyer belt to psychiatric hell" did not all end up in the doctors' own private hospital in the northern Sydney suburbs. The simple fact of the matter was that the good doctors did not have much in the way of equipment there. Sure they could strap patients down and apply electroshock And they had beds into which patients drugged into a deep coma could lie for days soaking in their own excreta in the care of partly trained nurses. But when it came to monitoring the condition of their patients ... well they did not have much equipment, and certainly were not set up for surgery.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
What a excellent thread very entertaining i was glued to it ,for some reason i think this is adapted from a true event.
It would not surprise me if this was made into a movie ,its almost certain during the Nazi occupation of most of Europe these things were probably happening a lot japan also did sick experiments .
A lot of readers are leaning towards this being made up that maybe so but i think this is probably quite tame to compared to what the Nazis and Japanese really did during the war in the name of so called research .
Thanks OP for some reason i rather enjoyed that story was quality

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
Wow, that could easily be made into a horror movie.

Is it possible that sleep is an act of evolution?? What I got from the study is that sleep seems to be a huge factor keeping us humane...it protects us.

I duno, the more I read what I just wrote the more I think it's nonsense, but it does make your gears turn.

Good find!! S&F
agreed what a stupid freakin idiot

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I wonder who wrote this story, its horrendously fascinating.

But it throws me back to remembering that several big religious leaders, through sleep deprivation had major 'religious experiences' Mohammed was one, he use to take himself up onto the mountain and didn't sleep and become delirious with religious fervour and the other was The Buddha who sat under a tree for some length of time not sleeping.

The essence of this story made me think, where do people go when they get past the protective barrier of either sleep or they access the 'otherworld'. Christianity papered over the concept of an underworld, that most ancient civilisations believed in. It funnelled that concept down into a revamped hell, merely a place of pain which served Christianity's clinical purpose. Graham Hancock covered the 'otherworld' when he wrote in one of his books about his experience with the Shaman of South America and (something that must remain nameless on this website lest I get a verbal smack). He tells us of an experience religion today cannot deliver. What makes this so interesting is that it can .empirically' researched because he repeated the experience as have many others.

I wonder if there are different 'underworlds' or are they really (as per the story) states of our consciousness that are a part of us that has, through various contrivences become completely detached from our psyche?.

Perhaps, its by breaking the boundary sleep provides, that its possible to enter into another consciousness.
I have always wondered who said 8 hours of sleep was needed per night. I have had insomnia for years and often got through a huge amount of work or came up with new ideas and solutions when working in the past. Most of my friends all accept 8 hours sleep, but Margaret Thatcher and Winnie got by with 4 hours per night.
If one accepts that concept, then very few of us will ever push the envelope into the unconscious world that may well be a part of our heritage.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

lack of sleep makes you cranky excessive lack of sleep is detrimental to your health.

Monks used to do it big deal

nice fiction though .

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
This story is fiction. The only hits it returns on google is it being re-posted on forums with no source.

It is a "creepypasta" originating from a chan site.
edit on 10/9/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Obviously fiction. Have to be incredibly gullible to believe that story. Many people are though...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Great story!
I just a movie on sci-fi and just reading this, it was better!

Would make a great movie, right up there with event horizon!

PS: Why is it posted as an image and not words ? Where did it come from ?

edit on 11-10-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Screwed - I can so relate to what you are saying. This syndrome (for lack of a better description) is by and large the reason why my marriage fell apart.

I am a chronic insomniac and have been for most of my life. I can sometimes go for 24-36 hours without sleep and still function "somewhat" normally. The longest I have ever gone is a little over 48 hours and by that point, I was disoriented and my thinking was sluggish and distorted. Someone who did not know me would probably think that I was drunk or had taken something; however, that's not why my marriage fell apart. It happened because my ex-spouse suffered from what you describe and for some reason, he couldn't get his consciousness to relax and sleep when I was not able to. He became (and continues to become to this day) an entirely different person who is nasty, snide, without empathy or consideration for anyone else. He becomes narciassstic and engages in self-destructive behavior because he can't control it. Major difference between you and he is that to this day, he still won't acknowledge this and blames other people for his actions "if only you hadn't deprived me of my #en sleep, I wouldn't act that way". It became unbearable. I am no longer around him 24/7 but there are times when the kids are with him and I'm unaware that he is going through one of his sleep deprivation cycles (I guess his worries over my lack of sleep were replaced by other things that make him unable to relax). I never worry for their physical safety because he has never shown this inclination but I've also learned that emotional abuse can be just as, if not more so, damaging.

Thanks for sharing your story. Perhaps it will open the eyes of some others who suffer the way you do and they will start taking responsibility for their actions and do something about a problem that affects not only themselves but everyone around them.

Timidgal

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Is this for real? it sounds like the backstory to the whole zombie thing on call of duty lol..ifnot then damn thats freaky were did you find this?

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Great story!
I just a movie on sci-fi and just reading this, it was better!

Would make a great movie, right up there with event horizon!

PS: Why is it posted as an image and not words ? Where did it come from ?

edit on 11-10-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

Wow, someone who watched event horizon ! Guess im getting old

Loved the premises of that movie.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Your post was stunning OP. Congratulations. You will go down in ATS history as one of the best posters. It's people like you that make this place most interesting. Thank you for your contribution to us masses that are not as great as you. I mean that wholeheartedly.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Very interesting story OP.

It also seems I can relate to a few of the posters in this thread myself.

I rarely sleep more than a few hours per day and sometimes go much longer. Just this past Thursday, I awoke at 4a.m. and did not sleep until Saturday evening at about 8p.m. That adds up to 60 hours if my sleep deprived mind is capable of doing the math

I like others here, find myself unable to concentrate for very long and do indeed become quite detached. I am still able to participate in the usual hum-drum of a day regardless, and at times have fits of abstract and creative thought when like this. I also, however, get little "spaceout", moments and see things out of my peripheral vision at times. I probably should not drive like that either.

Sleep is such a fascinating phenomena.

Thanks for sharing, and get some sleep ya'll!

edit on 16-10-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I actually heard of it from here > The Russian Sleep Experiment whether creepypasta or not is terrifying... Check this link out > Russian Sleep Experiment

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join