It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Russian Sleep experiment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Awhile back, I remember reading this short story that creeped the hell out of me. Not because the short story was good, but because of the possibility of it being real. Now the "Russian experiment" itself may as well be a work of fiction, (then again who knows?)however the part that mind-blown me was the "result" of the experiment. Which is why I posted this here in paranormal studies instead of the short story forum.

So as a measure to not spoil the experience I will post my thoughts at the end of the image. So for those who don't want "spoilers" try and not scroll past the image.

Now reason this creeped me out is because of this: we all experience a moment of "Crankiness" when we have the lack of sleep. According to scientific studies a human being may die from sleep deprivation. However things like this has been done in the past it seems by the CIA.

CIA interrogators at Guantanamo Bay subjected dozens of detainees to sleep deprivation, shackling the prisoners in a standing position for up to 11 days at a time. Recently released Justice Department memorandums claim sleep deprivation studies show that "surprisingly, little seem[s] to go wrong with the subjects physically." Wait, is it really safe to go without sleep?

No—extended bouts of sleeplessness can cause an array of physical symptoms and might eventually kill you. The effects begin within the first 24 hours of sleep deprivation.

However then there is this part.

he body undergoes subtle hormonal changes—cortisol and TSH levels increase, leading to a rise in blood pressure. A day or two later, it stops metabolizing glucose properly, creating carbohydrate cravings. (This phenomenon may have gone unnoticed among the detainees, who were already on a calorie-restricted diet.) A person's body temperature will also drop, and his or her immune response becomes somewhat suppressed. All of these physiological changes are reversible, though—take a nap, and you'll be on the road back to normal.

www.slate.com...

It seems that sleep deprivation does cause changes within. But due to the uncertainty and the lies conducted by the government, this may as well be a mystery and not a scientific fact. But one thing I do know, our moods shift dramatically when we have lack of sleep.

None the less, I think this is a very interesting topic, and I thought I'd share this find. Even if it was a work of fiction it was a very interesting thought. And if it is not a work of fiction, do we really want to find out?

Hope you found these train of thoughts interesting as I have.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Very interesting, Ive been doing some self experimentation when staying up all night to do assignments

But seriously its something that we can explore so much, I remember reading on here a while ago about a pill that can replace 8 hours of sleep.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Wow, that could easily be made into a horror movie.

Is it possible that sleep is an act of evolution?? What I got from the study is that sleep seems to be a huge factor keeping us humane...it protects us.

I duno, the more I read what I just wrote the more I think it's nonsense, but it does make your gears turn.

Good find!! S&F

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

How did the experimentation work out?

Sometimes I get bouts of Insomnia. Sometimes I purposely stay awake longer than I would usually.

Aside from being tired, all it seems to get me is pounding heart, headache, nausea and dissociation. Mostly. But sometimes, all the negative aside, I get very creative in my thoughts and quite philosophical, which I like tapping into.

Have you found abstaining from sleep productive?

ETA: I realise you may not be intentionally 'experimenting'! Just wondered how, if at all, your thoughts changed as a result.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Mouldilocks because: edit!

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RisenAngel77

Wow i have never read something so... scary as i have that. It's so vivid, it really does seem like the basis of a horror film. However there was one part in the story where it was written "blew his brains out". I'm not sure who the author of this story is but this single statement gives me the impression all of it, or at least a small portion is fiction as it seems to lack seriousness in nature.

None the less, amazing story. Truly frightening what happens when you don't get enough sleep.

When we sleep, our consciousness leaves our body. We don't know where it goes, but its not there.

Think of it like this.

When you are awake you can "knock on the door" of your mind, and your consciousness will respond. Essentially it is at 'home'.

When you are asleep you can "knock on the door" of your mind, and your consciousness will not respond. Essentially it is not at 'home'.

This gives me the impression that it is not our body that needs to sleep, but our consciousness. It MUST visit an external location (lets just say some astral dream world or another dimension or web of consciousness where it goes to exist for a set period of time [assuming the idea of time exists there]).

Perhaps sleep is like food for your consciousness, if you don't eat, you will experience the effects.

Personally the idea of a holographic universe seems more and more plausible.

Thankyou for sharing though.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Very interesting. I wonder why the subjects insisted, by any means, to stay awake? Why must they stay awake? We all want sleep when we feel deprived of it.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
This story is fiction. The only hits it returns on google is it being re-posted on forums with no source.

It is a "creepypasta" originating from a chan site.
edit on 10/9/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It sounds like they made zombies. Exposed body organs and able to kill soldiers, weird noses and behaviors, eating flesh. Also the end of the article sounds like the subjects were alive, but also a flat-line heartbeat? Nice thread!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
This story is fiction. The only hits it returns on google is it being re-posted on forums with no source.

It is a "creepypasta" originating from a chan site.
edit on 10/9/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Allow me to re-clarify

Awhile back, I remember reading this short story that creeped the hell out of me.

and

Even if it was a work of fiction it was a very interesting thought.

edit on 10-10-2011 by RisenAngel77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

If the story is true, the subjects seem to have been possessed.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
This is a subject which is a very personal one with me.
I suffer from a sleep disorder which leaves me tired no matter how much sleep I get.

Normally I am a funny,Loving,caring, compassionate, friendly,empathetic human being.
But, when I get less sleep than normal,
say, I can't fall asleep and by the time I finally do I end up getting only 4 hours of sleep,...
I become what I can only describe as a psychopath..
Yes, the literal medical definition of a psychopath.
It is not something I am proud of nor is it funny.

My family is well aware of this and we all work very hard to make sure I get enough sleep.
It is something that affects my relationships with EVERYONE I love and it is sad that so many people
in my life have to tip toe around my sleep schedule.

When I haven't had enough sleep everyone just walks on eggshells andis afraid to even look me in the eyes.
I can't tell you how many times I have gotten into fights,hurt people,spent a night or two or even a week or two in jail all because of the ROOT problem of not getting PROPER sleep.
edit on 10-10-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

wow that is an amazing story an to be honest it's the first OP i have read in it's entirity for sometime, thank you so much for sharing!

I have gone through stages where i havent slept for 2-3 days, 51 hours was the longest i have been awake - without the use of drugs and mainly due to insomnia and although nothing like that has ever happened thank goodness, i can relate to the paranoia setting in and crankiness plus minor hallucinations and seeing things out of the corner of your eyes.

You get to a point where you become so overtired that you are no longer tired, but it is almost impossible to concentrate for very long and it's easy to become depressed.

Sad story for the 5 test subjects

Thanks again for sharing

edit on 10-10-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   

It's interesting where studies indicate detrimental effects for lack of sleep, caloric restriction and other such things, but, then you look at other studies like the longevity study with caloric restriction that gives indication of a much longer life span in subjects that consistently starve themselves on a regular basis throughout their lives.

In regards to losing sleep and crankiness, as a writer and artist, I will often stay up for 3 or 4 days straight without bother when I'm on a real creative tear. I feel more alive and the creativity just flows so much better in the absence of sleep.
After I get to a point of satisfaction in the work, days have gone by and I'll take a break, sleep a few hours, and then do it all over again.

Edit: additonally, the only chemical additive intake in my system consists of coffee and cigarettes.

All in all, I feel fine, and everyone I know asks me how I stay looking 10-15 years younger than my actual age.
I barely ever eat, and I don't really sleep much, even when i'm not working on a project.
I'm exceptionally healthy, trim, never get ill, so, what gives?

Right now, I haven't slept for at least 2 days. I do however tend to lose count.

edit on 10-10-2011 by nineix because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Yes and really there is a 10 mile hole in the ground that reaches to hell and you can hear the sounds of hell...

This sounds like a total story told as is like a story. I doubt it had any truth in reality, or at least the results are.

What is described as the self mutilation, well needless to say they would be dead.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I think this post should be separated into two. The Russian story is obviously total fiction. Please don't refer to it as "a study". Please refer to it as a story. Gotta love the "keep cutting" part. The "we are you" ending is Jr. High.

The actual conversation on sleep deprivation is interesting. I've only stayed up just over 36 hours before. It's a strange land. You go through bursts of microsleep. That's when your brain instantly goes into REM sleep for a few microseconds.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Interesting thoughts presented in the OP.

The story got my attention and was a very good, although creepy read.

I too am very "cranky" when I don't get enough sleep. It's one of the few times I find myself reacting without first thinking my actions or words through.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I S&F this thread for entertainment value. However, I do not believe that the researchers did not have any idea what was happening in those crucial days. If I am a researcher of this experiment, I will make it sure that I can see my test subjects at all time if I need to see them. I'm sure that other researchers will do the same. That is why I think that the article in the OP is just a fiction.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

You don't need to re-clarify anything. Some people would take this as fact and need to be told it is fake.

As you can see most replies had the terms "if it is true" in it. It isn't, it's 100% fiction and you should label it such in your OP. People are gullible.
edit on 10/10/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Posted Previously

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Very entertaining, although I am leaning on the side of it being Fiction.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
So if I don't get my nightly '___' trip do I go psycho like Sam Neil in "Even Horizon"

Heh space Russians from the terror dimension.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join