It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Frances Makes Landfall!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Jesus, it's like this thing has eyes and it wants all of Florida. If they tell you to evac. folks, do it.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am so relieved that everyone seems to be taking Frances seriously. This storm is soooo f'ing big!!!!!!! We're about to be smothered by a giant red blob.
good luck and stay safe to my fellow floridians.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The really nasty stuff is starting to get wrapped around the center again.

Look at that storm.. then compare it to Florida... pause.. and then say.. DANG

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm wondering how far inland this storm will go and still be a hurricane. I'm concerned about having very strong winds where I'm at in SC with the storm center in Georgia. If I was in Florida, I wouldn't want to be there. Maybe though Florida will get a break when the next major hurricane comes by. I hope not too many people die from this one. I hope we don't lose the shuttle and buildings too. I wonder how much it would cost to fortify those buildings protecting the shuttle and equipment.

I just heard today even with this storm projected to hit central Florida, waves may be 15 ft all the way up to Myrtle Beach SC before the storm even hits Florida. Well that's what I saw on a diagram. I feel sad for all the folks down in Florida that may get taken out by this killer coming. It's kind of hard to survive a direct hit that could include 300 mph tornadoes and waves above 20ft or more. If someone does see the entire eye pass over their location, they could see up to 1 hr or more of blue sky unless the eye collapses. I heard the eye was 30 miles in diameter unless it shrank to 20 miles.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I believe the storm could retain hurricane status all the way thru its florida path, well into georgia.

doesnt florida have a "if you can, shelter in place" policy? meaning if you do not live in a low area or on the coast, and your home is not a trailer but an actual frame/brick structure...that you should batten down the hatches and stay put?
i believe this is so that thousands wont get caught stranded on the roadways, or trying to flee to orlando, which will be not only in the path, but many hotels may have to close there because of lack of power or outruight damage...there might just be no room at the inn....If your caught out in the open and the storm rolls over you...your at MORE risk.

From talking with family/friends in west palm....stores are getting really nutty....people are edgy....gloom is in the air

Palm Bch International airport will stop all flights by 6pm friday...

First place in nation to start MANDATORY evacuations in low lying and suseptable costal areas....

Think about lake Okechobee....S.FL water managers will be dumping water OUT of the lake soon, filling canals that eventually spill into the sea....(which also help drain local streets/areas)
There have been concerns in the past that the levy/dams that hold parts of the lake in place could be seriously damaged by the lake getting too full...or heavy wind/wave action...
many parts of western palm bch county (25-30 miles inland) boarder the lake and are actually BELOW its level....

If the eye wall hits p.b. county, ill be taking the first flight IN to assist family and friends clean up. Or Ill start driving friday night from philly with a truck load of supplies....not sure yet which...

I predict a higher death toll from this storm from the last, mearly because there are more people living in the target area than lived on west coast area just hit.

people in georgia, the carolina's will also get slapped hard by this too, in inland areas so you all better get ready there too.

By friday at 6pm, this thread should be full of stories of awaiting doom.
by then we'll know just about exactly where this monster will come ashore.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
At the 2am AST advisory the storm has a pressure of 937mb or 27.66" and the winds are now up to 145mph. This storm means business.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Hurricane watches have been extended down to the Keys with the 5am advisory. More later. I'm off to bed lol.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
My guess on the stregth is that is has peaked for now at 145mph, in the next 12-24 hrs there is some dry air ahead of the system that will inhibit it's stregthening maybe even go as low as 130mph, after that it will probaly stregthen again right before landfall.

My guess is a good as anyone's for where will get the worst of it.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   
What's up with the "lol"?

I'm thinking "Man, what a Turkey!!"

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Mandatory evacuations in the Keys for tourists and RV's.

The Hurricane watch extends from Craig Key (South of Marathon) to Flagler Beach (by Cape Canaveral).

2 days ago, the water temp in the Keys was 87* at 100 feet deep. Extremely bad news as this will be a contributing factor in the escalation of this storm.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by mako0956]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I'm wondering how far inland this storm will go and still be a hurricane.

According to the experts, if it comes onshore as a Cat 5, it'll still be a Cat 3 when it gets to the other side of the state, and then it will be in the gulf, where it can possibly stay Cat 3 or even back up to 4, before then hitting the panhandle...!!!

I'm all stocked up (again), but hoping like last time, that I don't have to use any of it... The gas situation was already bad last night... First two stations I went to were out of everything except Premium...

doesnt florida have a "if you can, shelter in place" policy? meaning if you do not live in a low area or on the coast, and your home is not a trailer but an actual frame/brick structure...that you should batten down the hatches and stay put?

Pretty much...I'm in such a zone...though a shelter is right across the street from me, hehe...

i believe this is so that thousands wont get caught stranded on the roadways, or trying to flee to orlando, which will be not only in the path, but many hotels may have to close there because of lack of power or outruight damage...there might just be no room at the inn....If your caught out in the open and the storm rolls over you...your at MORE risk

Yep, this was the case with Charlie. Not to mention, those going to Orlando, etc. actually got out of the frying pan, and into the fire.... Already there is a hotel shortage, between the holiday weekend, tourists, a soccer game, and east coast evacuees, not much else left. Another factor is price gouging. Though the Attourney General's office is going hard after them, it doesn't seem to be stopping it, especially in regards to motels...

I have an uncle that lives in a trailer, and he got ripped off during Charlie... Told him to report it, but he's not that kind of guy....(if he'd give me the info, I'd do it for him). I asked him why he didn't just call me up, but he said he didn't want to impose....(dude, you're family, man!)

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
You should see the lines for plywood down here in Broward!!!!
and the Walmart Parking lot is full to capacity, There are cops now trying to keep control of lines in the stores. I am so glad I don't have to go shopping today. By the way I'm in North West Broward County, City of Sunrise, and we're being told that we will feel hurricane force winds with Frances. But besides the wind, it's the 8-10 inches of rain that is expected that is a worry. I really hope Frances speeds up once it gets close to land. I can't imagine 12 hours of this stuff, which is what some tv stations are reporting.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
My brother runs a business down in Florida and he plans on using the business equipment to help with cleanup. If he rips anyone off I'll disown him

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
http://www.WESH.com local news link

[edit on 2-9-2004 by DragonFly5]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Called my Grandma who lives in Seabring last night, she says she can't leave.
She said there is no flights out, and the roads are jammed.

She's a very stubborn old broad.

There is a very good change that Seabring is going to be right smack in the middle of this thing.

She has a car full of gas, I told her she should at least try and get west, like to St Pete.... I think chances of survival would be much better there.

I know she is going to stay.... Unless they do an evac and make it so she can get out of there. She will listen to the authorities, I just hope they can get it together in time.

The fact that she toughed it out through Charley, and only lost a few trees isn't helping her attitude in this situation.

Oh, and neither is Jeb....
Gov. Jeb Bush said people may be safer in their own homes rather than trying to outrun the hurricane.

"If you're not on the coast or in the flood zone or in a mobile home, you may be safest staying where you are and making sure that you're protected," Bush said.

a.www.orlandoweather.com...

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Nemithesis]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
ALL my family is there, I'm from Daytona Beach and all my family are spread out all over Fl, exceeept for a sister I have outside Cincy......every one is gone or leaving! I'm very concerned about this one.....does anyone have a course tracker?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis
Called my Grandma who lives in Seabring last night, she says she can't leave.
She said there is no flights out, and the roads are jammed.

She's a very stubborn old broad.

There is a very good change that Seabring is going to be right smack in the middle of this thing.

She has a car full of gas, I told her she should at least try and get west, like to St Pete.... I think chances of survival would be much better there.

I know she is going to stay.... Unless they do an evac and make it so she can get out of there. She will listen to the authorities, I just hope they can get it together in time.

The fact that she toughed it out through Charley, and only lost a few trees isn't helping her attitude in this situation.

Unless she's in a mobile home she is better off in Sebring than Pinellas County (St Pete). Staying off the roads when one has sufficient shelter is better for everyone. She should be able to find a shelter if necessary -- that determination will be made as time draws closer and the impact to central Florida towns like Sebring is more discernible. I've been through plenty of near misses because I lived in Tampa for 30 years. You'd be surprised what a well-built house can take. If she is in a mobile home, the authorities will evacuate her IF and when the time comes. They are really good about that.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Unless she's in a mobile home she is better off in Sebring than Pinellas County (St Pete). Staying off the roads when one has sufficient shelter is better for everyone. She should be able to find a shelter if necessary -- that determination will be made as time draws closer and the impact to central Florida towns like Sebring is more discernible. I've been through plenty of near misses because I lived in Tampa for 30 years. You'd be surprised what a well-built house can take. If she is in a mobile home, the authorities will evacuate her IF and when the time comes. They are really good about that.

She's in a ranch on a golf course community. No basement or underground shelter that I know of.
I'm sure she will stay put. Not so sure it's a good idea tho.
It's all the tornado's spun off that have me worried, not so much the actual hurrican force.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nemithesis

She's in a ranch on a golf course community. No basement or underground shelter that I know of.
I'm sure she will stay put. Not so sure it's a good idea tho.
It's all the tornado's spun off that have me worried, not so much the actual hurrican force.

Tornadoes can hit St Pete as easily as they can Sebring. That's the random nature of a hurricane and its winds and shear. There are no basements in Florida -- they'd be under water -- for the most part, the water table is barely below the earth's surface down there.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Actually, given our history of being missed by so many storms, the above is probably a good idea. Though, she'd be hard pressed to find hotel space here right now... If she doesn't do it today...it won't happen... As the barkeep says..."Last Call!"

Chances are the Golf Club community has a clubhouse that doubles as a shelter though, so something she should consider...if this is the case.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join