It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Frances Makes Landfall!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Tampa Bay here....

We've had only about one bad feeder band go through some hours ago... I'd estimate the gusts I saw at about 40mph plus, lots of debris in the air, but it only lasted about 10 minutes.... Since then, just a little rain and wind.

We've got another band headed our way, likely in an hour or so... Looks nastier than the last one... Our sustained winds are about 22mph...highest gust was about 45mph...(according to the news).

It appears to be pretty much heading straight for us, despite their often changing projected path.... So far, being half on land hasn't weakened it one bit... Still 105mph sustained, so you can imagine we're pretty worried.

One of my best buddies has family in Melbourne. He just left my house to head home. Right after he left, I saw a news report (phone only) from Melbourne. The correspondent had to quickly go though, as the roof of his hotel was buckling!!!
and they were headed for a secure area of the building...

This appears to be heading towards a long ordeal... Going to try to go to bed now, and get some sleep (unless the feeder band wakes me). We lost some tree branches so far, that's it.....

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Not as close to the action - but winds have been bulding all day here in Tally....Come tomorrow afternoon or early Monday I'm sure we'll have sloppy seconds....lol....but seriously...I hope our fellow Floridians to the southeast are faring well - Keep us updated on your situation
- I have friends in WPB and havn't heard from them in the last 6 hours...so....

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Watch the weather everyday out of habit. I've never been to FL, but it seems to me Floridians must really love it down there to put up with the weather the way they do.
Hated to see Charley and Gaston had casualties,as to answer the question about what's up with the weather? I don't believe nothing is really up with the weather.
The Earth is a dynamic place and some years the hurricane season will be mild and some years it is harsh. Weather patterns is a mathematical science dealing with chaos that we're just now learning more about.

[edit on 5/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well my uncanny ability to wake up each morning at 6am once again seems to be working flawlessly, even after going to bed at 2am, hehe.....

The yellow is where I'm at. The red indicates the rough track they are predicting. The blue indicates where it appears to be going based on looking at the satellite... Not like it matters, as with the size of this storm, we'll be hit regardless... The only hope is that it will be weakened by the time it gets here...as forecast...

It still has barely moved... As you can see, I still have power and cable, though we obviously had some minor power interruptions (as everything had reset) while I was sleeping. All is quiet at the moment.....but it seems it'll worsen later today...

Still at 100mph winds, so it's barely weakened, even being over land for hours....

[edit on 5-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
The yellow is where I'm at.

Whoa! Good luck man. 3 in a month? You should be done for the season and half the next.

[edit on 5/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Well we (Tampa Bay) got missed by Charlie at least, completely.... Frances is of course the immediate concern, but we're also going to be keeping an eye on Ivan...

After a slow hurricane season (starts in June), it seems it's making up for lost time.....

Seem to be getting a few gusts right now...likely an outer band coming through... Gusts only lasting about 30 seconds or so....around 30mph I'd estimate, so minor still... Winds sustained at about 15-20mph...but this is just the calm before the storm (literally). In about another 6 hours or so, I'll likely be unable to post, hehe... Not really a question of IF we'll lose power, but WHEN.....and for HOW LONG.... Food and Water wise, my wife and I are set easily for about 2 weeks (even without power), so I'm not too worried on that end...

EDIT: My brother and mother (live about 2 blocks away) were without power for about 4 hours this morning... Glad I'm not on the same grid, hehe....

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Man i wish i lived in a hurricane location (jsut alittle), it's somethign diferent, a little exciting i guess... anyways....

watched those homemade video's of francs, funny as ;|

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Man i wish i lived in a hurricane location (jsut alittle), it's somethign diferent, a little exciting i guess... anyways....

watched those homemade video's of francs, funny as ;|

Man, have you lost your mind? If you lived in an area where hurricanes do frequent, you'd be changing your mind about the time the wind speed got up to hurricane force. Why do you think 2.5 million people are evacuating? It's certainly not for the fun of it.

There is no fun during a hurricane.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Port Canaveral hit by 124 mph gusts, highest measured so far.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
(Tampa Bay)

We have about 25mph sustained winds, but gusts far more often now (about every 15 minutes or so, to about 40mph up to 60mph reported (and 40mph observed)...) Looks like it's moving a bit faster, as it's closer to us now. Down to 90mph, but still a Cat 1 hurricane....and it's been over land for a while now...amazing storm.

We've had power go out a couple times, and many brown outs, but it quickly comes back on (so far)...

I'll get some pictures if I see anything particularly interesting...like when I go back to my brother's house today... I had to drive around some tree branches in the road, hehe....(only a couple blocks away so no biggie, wouldn't drive much further than that)...

Just a couple counties away (Polk), they've already got sustained winds at 45mph. Pretty much goes Polk, then Hillsborogh (Tampa proper), then Pinellas (where I am)....

All of our high bridges now closed....(I'm surprised the others aren't yet).... I did notice one of a business' marquee signs (large lighted signs) spinning around on it's pole (it doesn't normally spin)

EDIT: Oh, by the way, Hurricane Ivan is currently predicted to follow the same track is Frances...lovely...

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
For those interested here is a link where you can not only track Frances but you can start watching Ivan. Should be near cuba within 5 days which if on the same track as Frances could be really bad for Florida

Hurricane Tracking

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yeah I was there for Charley in Cocoa beach which missed us. Went through Orlando and Daytona both were pummeled. Every billboard in Daytona was missing - many of the steel structures were collapsed. Orlando looked like someone had chopped down all the telephone polls. I left on wednesday from Cassleberry with Frances coming and am glad I did. That area is getting pounded right now and they have no gas or water. I highly doubt they'll have electric either. Up in Michigan now and is where I'm gonna stay. I feel for those who couldn't leave it's gonna be chaos for the next two weeks.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I survived Frances!!!!! (where's my t-shirt?)

Power went out shortly after my last post yesterday right around 1pm and just went back on now. Almost 12 hours, with no power, I think we were all a little getting abit stir crazy in my house. It's still raining here in Broward with tropical storm winds and a few occassional strong gusts.

The first part of the storm was more windy than rainy for us in NW Broward, then last night it was more steady combination of rain and wind. Sustained winds were in the upper 40's low 50's, probably 60mph at times, with gusts in the 70-80mph range.

It was amazing, just 10 miles south of me, didn't even feel the same effects. NO damage to the house or property, just lots of broken brances and downed trees in the area.

I'm just grateful FPL got our power back on so soon.

[edit on 9-5-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Nice to hear from you! I was wondering, and supposed that you lost power... Glad to hear it's back!

Looks like it's my turn next... Should get the worst of it around 4pm (3 hours from now)... Gusts are still quite often...

Celebrating my brother's birthday today (was actually on the 3rd)...despite the storm, as he's only a couple blocks down. My uncle is staying with my mom, as he had to evacuate, but she lives right across the street from my bro, so at least we don't have to brave too much of the weather to get together...

If all goes well, I'll be posting again tonight. If not, you'll know I'm sitting in the dark with some candles, and firing up the grill for some steaks!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It's good to be "powered" up again
I can't imagine how i would cope with days of no power. Last night it was hell, because it was so dark and hot inside the house, with NO a/c or lights. To be honest if it wasn't for the battery operated radios and tv to keep me and the kids busy, i would have been closer to testing my sanity.

Hopefully Frances weakens a bit more before taking Tampa on, problem is just the slow movement. It really felt like the rain and wind would never end and I was on "good" side of the hurricane. I can only pray for everyone north of us, and hope that the recovery is quick.

Ivan is worrying me, since there is already shortages here, hopefully Florida can restock quick enough before Ivan threatens. I am praying this one turns.

[edit on 9-5-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by valkeryie
Port Canaveral hit by 124 mph gusts, highest measured so far.

Amazing isn't it? And so far away from landfall and 7 hours after landfall too. Also I heard on TV this morning that 4 million people are without power.

Anyone know where this power outage ranks all-time?

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
It's good to be "powered" up again
I can't imagine how i would cope with days of no power. Last night it was hell, because it was so dark and hot inside the house, with NO a/c or lights. To be honest if it wasn't for the battery operated radios and tv to keep me and the kids busy, i would have been closer to testing my sanity.

bah, amateurs

I survived a year, a WHOLE YEAR, without electricity and running water, dodging bullets in a middle of civil war. I didn't go insane.... I think...

Seriously, nice to hear you're ok

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well, I hate to be right...

Look at my track of early this morning versus theirs, hehe....

AND it's still a hurricane (barely)....
We're about two hours tops from getting the eyewall (the tv is saying 6 hours, but I've already concluded they have NO idea what the hell they are talking about...).....so I'm going to go ahead and head over to my brother's for a birthday party.

I'd rather be in my house, as I've battened it down better, but eh...it's family. Besides, to see my step daughter, I'd wade through a Cat 5....

I survived a year, a WHOLE YEAR, without electricity and running water, dodging bullets in a middle of civil war. I didn't go insane.... I think...

Yes, but I'd rather be dodging bullets anywhere, than be in Florida heat and humidity without AC!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
For those interested here is a link where you can not only track Frances but you can start watching Ivan. Should be near cuba within 5 days which if on the same track as Frances could be really bad for Florida

Hurricane Tracking

This just in, Ivan is now up to CAT 3 with more strengthening possible. LINK

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
We just started getting the outter bands about 2 hours ago...heavy rain and wind - the weather channel says 15-20 mph right now - it actually felt good earlier today before the rain - we never get a single breeze here in Tallahassee...tomorrow we're supposed to have 60+mph winds...and that will be after more than a full day since landfall!

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join