It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Frances Makes Landfall!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm curious how many people have turned around to come back home. I know I had a family member that was leaving the east coast and he was having second thoughts about going. I assume he left but I can guarantee it. More damaging than a category 4 hitting the central coast of Florida may be this storm weakening like it did. This is yet ANOTHER boy that cried wolf. Just like Floyd. Just like Hugo. Just like every other warning the central coast has been given over the past few decades. Look at all these people that spend all this money to prepare. All the work that was lost for perhaps nothing. This is the 2nd time in about 5 years or less that this has happened. Next time a bad storm comes around and threatens them there will be the skepticisim that will need to be overcome. Perhaps they need this to regenerate to a minimal category 3 so people will have the mental image of getting hit by a "major" hurricane even though it was on the absolute bottom end. If people come home to a few power outages and a few downed tree branches they will most likely not take the next warning seriously.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Dyn-O-Mat has a webstie with all kind of claims about their product dyn-O-gel, one being it can weaken if not destroy hurricanes and has been tested on a smaller scale. The same polymsame product as it appears on their webstie is it can fight fires, great for plants when used as fertilizer, and can alter drought conditions and conserve water. It is suppose to be biodegradable, non-toxic and not hazardess to anyone's health.
I suppose it is not impossible that the storm has been attacked and weakened if that is even a real scenerio given our technology and the implications of bothering trying to control the weather, We have enough trouble predicting as is.

The weather here in Cocoa Beach is calm when a squall due here soon, its breezy but the stars are out, no winds to TD strength yet. If it looks like we're getting an eye wall we're getting out of here.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
As I pointed out way back in this thread I think it is physically impossible to dry a storm up. I think it impossible to dry up even a single small thunderstorm cell. What about seeding a storm to cause it to rain itself out? I don't know if there is anymore fact to cloud seeding than there is the idea of drying a cell up.

But on the idea of sheer... If there was indeed sheer wouldn't you expect to see an entrance and exit point for the wind? What would only one area of the storm get disrupted? Maybe someone knows the answer to this. I do not.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I doubt it could actually work, but there is a website out there claiming they have a product that can, I havent seen any evidence against it and certainly no concrete evidence of them doing it.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I havent seen the eyewall or even the apperance of a true eye on the weather radar, but the center is far removed from the radar site so seeing the low level falling water is impossible and picking up the doppler effect from that distance is not realible. My reasoning for staying out on the barrier island is the ragged satellite picture and no eye staring me down. I have about 20 or so neighbors(within walking distance) who have stayed too. There are also lines of police cars driving on the main road, A1A.

That last brief squall line may have had some gale force winds for about a minute. I feel safe in winds up to about 100-110 where Im at and my best estimate is 10ft+ surge it what i would take for surge worries. Currently I am not expecting either.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
They're still pretty much guessing with this one... Last I checked, 105mph winds (strong Cat 2) and moving at 6mph... To me it looks like it's wobbled a bit. Last track had it going right across the corner of my neighboring county by the time it gets across the state. The TIME is the big thing that changed.... First was to hit near us about Sun eve or Mon morn, now more around Sun afternoon... Still same landfall, but direction will take it more into the gulf (where it could restrengthen after going across the state).

Personally though, it's got over 100 miles of warm water between where it is now, and florida, and it's going VERY slow...so I'd think that was a prime strengthening condition, but guess I'm wrong (according to their models)...

Just a watch and wait...

One of my cookouts (a friend's) is cancelled this weekend, but one (my bro's birthday party) is still on for Sunday (just may have to be indoors instead)... I'm still having friends over tonight for dinner too, so I'm trying not to let it dampen my holiday... Of course, my friends may be crashing here tonight, if the weather is bad, hehe....

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Here is a little additional info to look at.

Latest IR image. Looks as if the storm is getting a little better organized.

But this seems to be the most telling piece of evidence of what the storm is doing. Look at how fast the bad weather is approaching. Keep in mind the storm is barely moving. This is basically all new stuff building in.

www.climatepatrol.com...

[edit on 9/4/2004 by Indy]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   

My worry is the red area of this track (just drew it in, so not 100% accurate, but for illustrative purposes)... This is open water, and I would think it would allow for strengthening, and accelleration of the storm... Plenty of time to build back up to Cat 3, and maybe even Cat 4...I would think.....

I'm in the yellow area by the way...

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but has anyone notice Ivan behind Frances? It still a tropical storm, but it looks like it's following basically the same path as the others.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Florida must be a really awesome place to live, personally, I'd be relocating by now.....

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Yep, last I saw it was at 60mph, just 15mph shy of a hurricane...and PLENTY of room to go still...

But, we'll handle first things first, hehe....

Usually we get missed here in the Bay area, and we're likely to get missed again it seems...

Can YOU go out in December wearing shorts?
Florida's not so bad... I'd personally rather have 4 seasons, but here's where my family and friends are, and that'd be tough for me to leave behind... At least there are SEVERAL theme parks within just a 2 hour drive (Busch Gardens, Adventure Island, Wet N Wild, Sea World, Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios, Disneyworld and all of it's parks, etc.) and I love those damn places. In fact, I have season passes to almost all of them, hehe....

EDIT:
This @#$#%$#$ idiot Weatherman is standing right in the way of our area so we can't see the damn track!!!
F'ing idiot!!!! Frickin' amateur hour in the early morning...

[edit on 4-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hurricanes are cool when they're like this, though the cops out here have been power happy and arresting some people. I am are in an area that is supposed to be evacuated but last night it was calm and I see nothing wrong with walking over to neighnbor's houses, so what are the police doing out anyway. Hopefully some of the good ones will do there job and stop potential looters. If any try to steal stuff out of my 'hood we got some people with firearms who arent afraid to use them to protect our property.

The weather is going downhill, probaly sustained winds of TD or weak TS with some gust easily over 50, high tides in a few hours and I want to go up there and see where the waters at next break in the squalls we're getting. At 7:30 this morning it was about to crest our mini-dune line(we got a bigger dune line behind it) so Im sure it'll be up aganst the main dunes. Im going to get some pictures too.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
South Florida (miami/Ft. lauderdale) is pretty lucky, with Frances stalling right next to us, it could have been worse if it didn't weaken as much as it did. Around 3:30pm yesterday, while we were outside with the neighbors making final preps, we had an extremely strong feeder band with almost hurricane force winds. Since then we have had occasional weak bands pass thru. right now we have sideways rain with some very strong gusts, we're being told that soon this will become sustained and this stuff should last till Monday morning at least. No power outages in my city yet, but the neighboring city of Lauderhill had widespread power outages, currrently about 30,000 in dade/broward without power.

since the start of typing this, winds have picked up and the rains are torrential right now. will update when I can.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
We ust had a really strong band go through, the gusts had to have been hurricane strength, our neighbor's lost medium sized oak tree already. At the beach the water is above the mini-dune line with surges making it to the boardwalk already. Im expecting much worse weather later in the day.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

those gusts and downpours came and went super fast, here's a pic of what it looks like outside, sorry about the crappy quality, if and when things get interesting, i'll snap and try to post. But being that we just had a minor outage about 2 minutes during that last band, i'm not sure if power will remain thru out the day.

btw, I was in between two buildings, i'm off to investigate a fallen tree at the entrance of my community

I would average sustained winds of 30-35 with gusts over 50mph right now, very little rain, a few sprinkles with the gusts, but all quick moving.

[edit on 9-4-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just seen the most amazing seamanship ever on CNN. The skipper managed to moor his huge yatch in Palm Beach. He only had one motor, no steering and no bow trusters, absolutely amazing.

[edit on 4-9-2004 by valkeryie]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Frances is now developing an eye again or at least trying to. News saying the eye itself is about 70 miles wide. But it's still at a Cat 2, not much in strenghtening or weakening.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The storm is so slow, down to 6mph. Florida is going to be wrecked, when it gets there.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   

huge broken branch... problem is we cannot find the tree that it came from. many branches on roofs.

News now saying that part of the eyewall will be affecting broward county, eye is now 80 mile wide!!!

[edit on 9-4-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Here is a before and durring picture of the beach. Thats me in the 2nd picture.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
And another one of a tree. The weather has let up here and Im just waiting in the next rain band. I would be very suprised if we still have power after the next round of weather.

[edit on 4-9-2004 by jrod]

[edit on 4-9-2004 by jrod]

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join