It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Frances Makes Landfall!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Ok for the first time in a day+ the storm has pulled in a great deal of convection on the west side of the eye. The imaes are a bit large and there are four of them. So if you are on dialup I'd recommend NOT clicking the link. There are a number of images but only the last set of 4 are of importance. They are taken an hour apart.

www.climatepatrol.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Guess we'll see what they say in about 15min during the 2pm update....

EDIT:

Hurricane Frances has weakened to a strong Category 3 storm wth sustained winds of 115 mph.

The latest track has it making landfall as a Category 2 hurricane at 10 p.m Saturday near Vero Beach. It will then move slowly northwest.

By 8 a.m. Sunday, Frances should be weakened to a tropical storm as it centers over Orlando before moving northwest to Ocala and beyond.

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Ok for the first time in a day+ the storm has pulled in a great deal of convection on the west side of the eye. The imaes are a bit large and there are four of them. So if you are on dialup I'd recommend NOT clicking the link. There are a number of images but only the last set of 4 are of importance. They are taken an hour apart.

Yeah, it's wrapping around again, so while possible...I don't think it'll be weakening any more. At least not by a lot.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
AT 2 PM EDT...1800Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FRANCES WAS LOCATED
BY SURFACE OBSERVATIONS FROM THE BAHAMAS AND A RECONNAISSANCE PLANE
NEAR LATITUDE 25.7 NORTH...LONGITUDE 77.2 WEST...VERY NEAR THE
SOUTHERN TIP OF GREAT ABACO IN THE BAHAMAS AND 200 MILES EAST-
SOUTHEAST OF THE FLORIDA LOWER EAST COAST.

FRANCES IS NOW MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH...15
KM/HR. A WEST-NORTHWEST TO NORTHWESTWARD MOTION WITH SOME DECREASE
IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS. ON THIS
TRACK ...THE CORE OF HURRICANE FRANCES WILL CONTINUE TO MOVE NEAR
OR OVER THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS TODAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 115 MPH...185 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE FORECAST DURING THE NEXT
24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 85 MILES...140 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 185 MILES...295 KM. NASSAU IN THE BAHAMAS HAS BEEN EXPERIENCING
GUSTS TO HURRICANE FORCE FOR THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS WITH A PEAK OF
84 MPH...141 KM/HR...AT NOON.

LATEST MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE REPROTED BY AN AIR FORCE PLANE WAS
961 MB...28.38 INCHES.

STORM SURGE FLOODING OF 6 TO 14 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...
ALONG WITH LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED
NEAR THE EYE OF FRANCES ON THE WEST SIDE OF ELEUTHERA ISLAND...AND
ON THE NORTH SIDE OF GRAND BAHAMA ISLAND. STORM SURGE FLOODING OF
4 TO 6 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS CAN BE EXPECTED ON THE WEST
SIDE OF THE OTHER ISLANDS OF THE BAHAMAS. COASTAL STORM SURGE
FLOODING OF 5 TO 10 FEET ABOVE NORMAL TIDE LEVELS...ALONG WITH
LARGE AND DANGEROUS BATTERING WAVES...CAN BE EXPECTED NEAR AND TO
THE NORTH OF WHERE THE CENTER MAKES LANDFALL IN FLORIDA.

RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 7 TO 12 INCHES...LOCALLY AS HIGH AS 20 INCHES...
ARE POSSIBLE IN ASSOCIATION WITH FRANCES.

SWELLS GENERATED BY FRANCES WILL BE AFFECTING PORTIONS OF THE
SOUTHEASTERN COAST OF THE UNITED STATES. THESE SWELLS COULD CAUSE
DANGEROUS SURF AND RIP CURRENTS.

REPEATING THE 2 PM EDT POSITION...25.7 N... 77.2 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115
MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...961 MB.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR LOCAL WEATHER OFFICE.

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
5 PM EDT.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just added 39A into the main page.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Even though it was downgraded, it still is two times the size of charley.....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Looking at all the latest, I now think Frances is going to be a non event - tropical storm by saturday night.

Temps are rising, humidity is falling, it slowed way down to 9mph, and the spin off has now doubled to about the size of Texas.

I think it's puttering out.

I hope I'm right!

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
It's interesting that most of the media say that Frances could strengthen again over the shallow warm water before landfall, almost like they WANT it to be a monster to make it a bigger news event.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

almost like they WANT it to be a monster to make it a bigger news event

People don't stay tuned for tropical storms...
To the average Floridian, tropical storms are akin to our normal freak thunderstorms....

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Hurrincan Frances is size of Texas

Reported ABC news or the Weather network. I can't remember which...

People can't take money out of their accounts their credit cards...
Cash on hand is what people need to get supplies...

Grocery stores are out of ice, foods, and the hardware stores are out of plywood... Premium is gas in only available now at some gas stations...

115mph winds Saturday afternoon is when it's supposed to hit the east central coast of the sunshine state...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well it's 6:02 and by the 5 o'clock report it's losing strength,but it's slowing down too!!! Reguardlessly we are gonna get slammed. 120 MPH susutained winds moving 9 MPH toward Florida. Looking to make landfall somewhere around Sebastian ( last I heard) but that's not etched in stone!!!Winds are already picking up here in Volusia County but not too bad yet. Around 15 MPH right now. Some heavy rain . Will keep you posted for as long as we keep power, LOL.. Maybe on after storm we got our generator ready! Talk to you soon. It's gonna be a long weekend!!!!

Local News Link

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yes wind picking up in brevard too we are sitting here waiting just gonna be glad when it passes you know?. i'll also stay on as long as there is power i just don't want my motherboard fried

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
break out the windsurfing gear dudes.. i did the same in the 1988/89 hurricanes (charles n diane)..had a whale of a time...well one or two broken bones n stuff

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I spoke to relatives in South Fl, and they say not to worry, storm is bypassing them, except for rain and some wind. Is this true?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Looks like im staying beachside, about 1 in 3 houses around my neighborhood have residents ready to ride it out, I live in Cocoa Beach. We got other places to go and a few people with big heavy trucks to move elsewhere if we have to. All of Brevard county has been dead with no business open and if this storm doesnt get moving it will be that way until Monday. My food supply is good till at least then but the alcohol and smokable supply is iffy.

It does look a little less ragged on the latest satellite images but looking almost stationary as well. I dont think it'll weaken much more, though the latest recon dropsones didnt show any winds above 77 knots so I would not be suprised if they kick the winds speeds down a little next advisory, n/m as of 8pm they kicked it down to 105 mph, about 90 knots. I feel like it may stengthen a little before landfall.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This just seems odd. Their continues to be a great deal of convection around the center, tons of moisture, good outflow to most regions except the south west yet this thing is falling apart like it has a massive amount of sheer taking place yet there is no visible sign of sheer in the IR loop or water vapor loop.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Maybe someone nuked the eye

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This was more of a flunctuation than I thought would happen. I wouldn't be surprised though if it intensifies back. Last I heard it was only moving forward at 4 mph. That's slow enough to flood anywhere it comes ashore. I thought it seemed odd to feel some cool dry air yesterday here in SC. It feels much warmer and humid again today. If that's a sign, then the storm could pop back to life at any moment.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Does anyone know how much Andrew weekend before it regained strength and came ashore?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I don't believe Andrew weakened before it came ashore. Maybe a 5mph drop here and there. But certainly no 40mph drop. That when it was not forecasted. Its even more interested that all those dropsondes that the hunters dropped were unable to detect any sheer in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join