It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California allows college aid to illegal immigrants

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

California Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill giving illegal immigrant college students access to state-funded financial aid, the second half of two-part legislation known as the "Dream Act." The controversial measure, which passed the Democrat-controlled legislature on a party-line vote in September, represents a victory for immigrant-rights activists ahead of the 2012 presidential election. California is the nation's most populous state. Only two other states, Texas and New Mexico, allow illegal immigrants to qualify for state financial aid for college, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. "Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking," Brown said in a written statement issued by his office.

I am speechless.

I know of far too many U.S. born legal citizens who cannot get the numerous 'breaks' that are constantly going to illegal immigrants. I, for one, am a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and have been turned down from so many aid packages that I see being given away. Just as I noticed when I ended my 8 years of honorable active duty to this country, unproductive and illegal behavior is being supported and rewarded over people that need help because they are legal citizens, going to college, or served in our military.

Where are we headed and why are we in a hand basket?

What say you?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Yep, I was totally speechless when I read that. Like WTF... I realize they need education and jobs, but can they least get their citizenship first? How hard is that? I think it's totally unfair to the American people.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Is anybody really going to wonder what happened when Californication goes bankrupt and the Federal government bails them out with the whole countries tax dollars. I think other states should give free tickets and a map to california to every illegal immigrant they catch.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
First off, Thank you for your service OP.

second, thank you again for your service! it is a damn shame that somebody who served this country comes anything but first in line for help like this.

it is especially disgusting that criminals are lined up ahead of you, and there is a large portion of the population that cheers this sort of behavior and demonizes those who dont cheer for injustice with them.

truly sad days we live in.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by pngxp
First off, Thank you for your service OP.

second, thank you again for your service! it is a damn shame that somebody who served this country comes anything but first in line for help like this.

it is especially disgusting that criminals are lined up ahead of you, and there is a large portion of the population that cheers this sort of behavior and demonizes those who dont cheer for injustice with them.

truly sad days we live in.

Thank you!!!!

yes, I agree with your sentiments....I wonder how the Californians who are constantly being passed over and watch Federal Funding go to illegals. They have GOT to be outraged..Plus, I remember learning that California was very broke...What's this Governor thinking? Seriously...

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yes, OP, thanks for your service. Sorry I didnt think to mention that before I read the other posters thoughts.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Thats why California is broke. What about the law abiding citizens who work 2-3 jobs to go to school and survive?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
news.yahoo.com...

California Governor Jerry Brown on Saturday signed a bill giving illegal immigrant college students access to state-funded financial aid, the second half of two-part legislation known as the "Dream Act." The controversial measure, which passed the Democrat-controlled legislature on a party-line vote in September, represents a victory for immigrant-rights activists ahead of the 2012 presidential election. California is the nation's most populous state. Only two other states, Texas and New Mexico, allow illegal immigrants to qualify for state financial aid for college, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. "Going to college is a dream that promises intellectual excitement and creative thinking," Brown said in a written statement issued by his office.

I am speechless.

I know of far too many U.S. born legal citizens who cannot get the numerous 'breaks' that are constantly going to illegal immigrants. I, for one, am a veteran of the U.S. Marine Corps and have been turned down from so many aid packages that I see being given away. Just as I noticed when I ended my 8 years of honorable active duty to this country, unproductive and illegal behavior is being supported and rewarded over people that need help because they are legal citizens, going to college, or served in our military.

Where are we headed and why are we in a hand basket?

What say you?

Lol. When they go to apply for college, just round em up and send the illegals back to mexico.
I hear ya bro. Its a sign of the times we live in. You should have the GI bill backing you, i don't see how they are keeping you out of college. Then again this is california we are talking about, which is practically already its own country. As many times as California has gone bankrupt in the last 5 years we should kick them out of the Union because the tax payers are eating their billions of dollars in losses.

You know what companies do when they have become to big for their breeches? They get downsized. Looks like the U.S. is overdue for some downsizing. Starting with the bankers and corporate fatcats ruining the show, and then the corrupt politicians who take their bribes so they can buy beachfront property.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You are so correct!!

Yes, the G.I. Bil covered college tuition, but I can remember when I first got out, I came home to see many of my peers ( I'm a black female) receiving large welfare checks, food stamps, free housing, free this and that...all which INCREASED by the more children that they had.

They did not work, nor were they looking for work, but it took me a while to find employment (some companies are intimidated by vets or discriminate against anyone that served during war-time).

Why is unproductive behavior more rewarded?

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This governor did this under the "California Dream Act", which is made up of the original Dream Act Bill and and a new Bill to allow ILLEGAL immigrants to receive privately funded scholarships....

But isn't their being here in the first place a criminal act? So now we reward illegal behavior?
edit on 9-10-2011 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Rhode island just had a big protest about in state tuition for illegals. Illegals should not get special treatment! I am sick to death of illegals getting catered to at every turn. If all States enforced laws like Alabama is doing right now, these illegals would self deport. Insted, they just move to another State and cause problems there.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I saw this on Yahoo news and wanted to make a thread about it but I was too pissed to think straight.

I am in the same situation as the OP.
I don't get nor do I really care anymore what the logic is behind letting Illegal anything have "Benefits" ...

I also am a veteran and my wife is a foreigner. I applied for her visas years back and the government screwed the pooch on the whole damn thing. I went to a congressman and asked what I could do to cut through the red tape and bring my wife over.

Get this...........He told me I was a "sucker" for doing it the legal way......
What a F-ing riot.....He was right to, but instead of dealing with them I just moved back over seas forever.

The new America is turning into a worthless POS......
edit on 9-10-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

You are so correct!!

Yes, the G.I. Bil covered college tuition, but I can remember when I first got out, I came home to see many of my peers ( I'm a black female) receiving large welfare checks, food stamps, free housing, free this and that...all which INCREASED by the more children that they had.

They did not work, nor were they looking for work, but it took me a while to find employment (some companies are intimidated by vets or discriminate against anyone that served during war-time).

Why is unproductive behavior more rewarded?

Because our fed government promotes slothfulness and lazyness, but only because its the rich people that own the U.S. government whom wish the keep such a large gap between the wealthy and the poor. Before long there won't be a middle class. This whole "equality" thing is a total sham. As long as there are wealthy people and poor people there will never be "equality" and anyone that says otherwise is lying. Rich people can break any law they want and buy themselves out of it, poor people break the same laws they get the book thrown at them.

Case in point, lets look at Lindsay Lohan. That girl stole a 5k dollar diamond necklace, she did like 2 days in jail and then got out because she whined about she didn't belong there (how many innocent people go to prison that say that and they get laughed at?). If you or i stole a 5k dollar necklace we'd get 25-30 years in prison, not 2 days. The laws for the rich are different than the laws for the poor so much so to the point that they are non-existant. That is not what my idea of equality is.

Its a good thing i have given up all my ambition to be a humble man and serve Jesus Christ. I don't care if i am poor i am happy, and i have a happiness that none of the filthy rich guys will ever have and can never touch. They can keep their billions and stick it somewhere...useful. As the old saying goes "power corrupts, and absolute power, corrupts absolutely". What we have is not really Democracy. What we REALLY have is an Aristocracy, bbut TPTB don;t want us knowing that until it is too late to do anything about. Voting is a waste of time because youre just voting for a different politician that is in a different bankers' pocket
edit on 9-10-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Sure. You wanna cough up the five grand they need?

We only let in immigrants with disposable incomes, you know.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

So you have first-hand experience on why our "legal" immigration policy and procedures are garbage.

Look at it this way; it's a misdemeanor. Legally no worse than jay-walking (in fact it IS jay-walking, of a sort). I dunno about you, but I don't phone the cops every time I see someone cross the street without the benefit of a crosswalk.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. We're talking about California here. The state went to hell a long time ago.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
JUST GREAT!! Cant help our own kids, yet any damn illegal foreigner can waltz in here and get a free ride.

WHATS WRONG WITH THIS FOLKS??

Our country is going to hell.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Which is why more States are getting stricter with their laws against illegal immigration. If we are from a State that is lax in its enforcements, we must stand up against it. Until then, only more illegals will come. Enough is enough! It is time our citizens come first!
edit on 9-10-2011 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
anything to expand the sudent loan debt bubble.

everybody who owes money when we go to war with iran will be drafted. including these criminals.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
reply to post by Manhater

Sure. You wanna cough up the five grand they need?

We only let in immigrants with disposable incomes, you know.

We've been through this before,,,, Show me at the www.USCIS.gov web-site where it cost Five Grand.
The problem is, They have never tried and YES, they know their here illegally.
Ask yourself, Do you have at-least One Family Member That is a US Citizen?
Green Card for an Immediate Relative of a U.S. Citizen.
To promote family unity, immigration law allows U.S. citizens to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States. Eligible immediate relatives include the U.S. citizen’s.
OR:
Get a Green Card While Inside the United States.
Certain people are eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residence) while inside the United States. An immediate relative relationship allows you to apply on Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to become a permanent resident at the same time your U.S. citizen petitioner files Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. For more information on filing for permanent residence in one step, see our Concurrent Filing page.
Read more here: www.uscis.gov... aa6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
It's not expensive, One fee for your finger prints and Bibliographics is $85.00 and the actual I-130 from is Like $785.00 I think we paid. You Do Not Need A Lawyer,,,,, All Forms can be printed in many different Languages and There is a HELP Page and A 1 -800 HOT- LINE for help with questions.
Try Not To Let The Open Border People Lie To You.
edit on 9-10-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-10-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join