It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No papers, no water’: The sign denying basic services to Alabama’s illegal residents.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Jim Krow makes it's ugly return.
Way to go Alabama. It's good to know you haven't lost your touch.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The offset created by the new california law allowing student loans to illegals makes this moot, since you are all going to be contributing your tax dollars for them...

Federal student loans and grants come out of everyone's tax money..

A little less money for water isn't going plug the drain in your wallet, sadly..

They are saying it is state money, but it could be federal money first..
edit on 9-10-2011 by alienreality because: eta

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
What is unfortunate is that all States don't have the same laws. Illegals will continue seeking out States that cater to them. Once all States enforce laws against illegals, stop the jobs and freebies, they will then self deport.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm totally against illegal immigration. But this is ridiculous!
Forest said, "Stupid is as stupid does.....
Look at the map. Alabama is at the bottom of the gene pool.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by pirhanna

You really have not a clue as to what Jim Crow Laws were.
The comparison is akin to you saying "Apple", and me replying "Popsicle".

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
illegal aliens picking lettuce for 15 cents an hour, good. illegal alien want's to live for more than 3 days, bad.

you can't have it both ways. i guess the statue of liberty's declaration should be amended to:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door, but first check with immigration
to see if you, your family members or dependents qualify, you aren't
a citizen of an oppressed country deemed a terrorist state, are african,
have enough money to pay your country's visa fees and that the annual immigration
quota hasn't been surpassed."

otherwise, if you manage to survive for the next several years while your application goes thru years of immigration bureaucracy and policy, welcome to america.

edit on 9-10-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
illegal aliens picking lettuce for 15 cents an hour, good. illegal alien want's to live for more than 3 days, bad.

you can't have it both ways. i guess the statue of liberty's declaration should be amended to :

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me.
I lift my lamp beside the golden door, but first check with immigration
to see if you, your family members or dependents qualify, you aren't
a citizen of an oppressed country deemed a terrorist state, are african,
have enough money to pay your country's visa fees and that the annual immigration
quota hasn't been surpassed. "

otherwise, if you manage to survive for the next several years while your application goes thru years of immigration bureaucracy and policy, welcome to america.

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "statue of liberty's declaration".
That is from a poem, written for the dedication of the Statue Of Liberty.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
And the problem here is what again?

We're not providing services to people that shouldn't be here in the first place? I guess i'm lost. There are literally hundreds of legal avenues that one can use to become a US Citizen OR be a permanent resident. Now the reason behind not taking one of these legal routes again is what?

If it causes more people to follow the laws that are already on the books, i'm all for it. Someone above stated it correctly, they aren't being denied water, just access to a government supplied tap of it. I'm going to go one step further and call the article sensationalist because it doesn't address WHY these laws are needed, and why they are being enacted, just a lot of hysteria that they ARE enacted.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman

jack be nimble, jack be quick is a poem.

this is a declaration put there to symbolize the spirit of what america was and stood for. if the united states and it's people didn't believe that, they wouldn't have had it approved.

that poem inspired many to seek america, maybe even the first of your family to reach it's shore.

but if it makes you feel better, it's a declaration in poem form.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

this is a declaration put there to symbolize the spirit of what america was and stood for. if the united states and it's people didn't believe that, they wouldn't have had it approved.

that poem inspired many to seek america, maybe even the first of your family to reach it's shore.

Just a quick notation...hmmm...you forgot to respectfully capitalize United States and America...if you are going to use my own County to brow beat me...use it properly, please.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It's sad that because some people have tried to escape horrible situations they were born into elsewhere, by coming here illegally, partly because our immigration system is completely screwed up and as inefficient as every other part of government, others would gladly deprive them of water, one of the most basic necessities for life.

The question of legal vs illegal should not be the same as life vs death. If you support not giving water to someone simply because they're here illegally, you also support the death of someone simply because they're here illegally.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
It's sad that because some people have tried to escape horrible situations they were born into elsewhere, by coming here illegally, partly because our immigration system is completely screwed up and as inefficient as every other part of government, others would gladly deprive them of water, one of the most basic necessities for life.

The question of legal vs illegal should not be the same as life vs death. If you support not giving water to someone simply because they're here illegally, you also support the death of someone simply because they're here illegally.

Wrong-o-mundo. It's not the issue of giving a dying man a glass of water. It's letting an illegal man, breaking our laws by being here...legally make a contract with a State he is illegally living in.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Yea, again. I don't think it was voted on nor approved by America. I think it was commissioned for by the foundation that was doing the Statue of Liberty.

Still, if they want to be here, do it the legal route.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

nothing prevents anyone from "obtaining" water ... it is rather abundant after all.
what it does do is limit excessive use of SERVICES paid for by the residents.
if you are not a contributing resident, what claim do you have on their services.
aside from the story being filled with hyperbole, this is actually a good thing.

The law also poses a problem for foreigners who have been granted leave to remain or permanent U.S. residency status but have hitherto never held an Alabama ID.
BS, residency status is just that ... qualifies the holder for all forms of benefit (in all states)

And American citizens who have recently moved to the state may be forced into a race against time to gain state documentation or face having their taps switched off by the Alabama Water Works.
i would suppose the writer missed that largely printed word "MAY", right?

from the signage to customers: "or you may lose water service"
it does NOT say "or you will lose water access" ... nor does it say ... "or you may steal from us in the meantime". story

seems ppl really do have some serious comprehension issues.
illegal = illegal ... all day, every day ... you no contribute, you no benefit, simple.

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I think it's great that Alabama has this law, I wish ALL states would adopt the law. No one is saying they can't go to the store and buy bottles of water, just can't get it via the State supply. Nobody is going to die because of this law, but maybe they will move.

If you are here illegally you really can't complain that something is unconstitutional or anything like that, because being here illegally means you don't have any constitutional rights, and well you are here ILlegally.

I am all for the law, i wish Louisiana would pass a similar law!

Good for Alabama, great job! Now for the rest of the states.
edit on 9-10-2011 by WhoDat09 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I agree with those who agree with this action.

Seriously, illegals are parasites. They siphon off money from the US, and send it back to mexico or where ever they come from (I dont really care about their specific origins). Is the US economy already FUBAR and the government corrupted enough so that some parasitism doesnt hurt that much? Yes, but its the principle of the matter, and even the small things add up into major things.

Why dont all the bleeding hearts join the peace corps or something, or whatever organization you can find that isnt corrupted, or better yet, make your own, and go do something productive about human rights violations instead of complaining about measures taken to prevent parasitism?

Whiny liberals just seriously get to me....

link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Again, emotional hysterics.
Just because they have bad living condition in their country of origin, does not then give them right to break laws to come here illegally.
By that rational, someone living in squallier outside your neighbor can just come right into your home and set up shop, with no issues.
And if they want water, go down to the store and get some.

link   

Originally posted by pirhanna

ridiculous comment and, as Mexico has even tougher immigration measures, presumably Jim Crow has been resurrected and injected with some sort of superpower and is now residing in Mexico City

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Rubbish, it was never meant to encourage mass illegal immigration- or to have it another way, when was that written, do you wish to return to things as they were then, ahem, on lots of different matters............

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If someone broke into your house and ate your food would you just let it go because they were hungry and it would be inhumane to let them go hungry? I don't get what part of illegal people don't understand. They are not forced to leave their home and go to Alabama by gunpoint therefore its self inflicted.
edit on 9-10-2011 by Digital_Reality because: spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join