It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most underrated rapper ever

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Both very underrated!

Krizz Kaliko

Tech N9ne

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Also kurupt from the dog pound...not big on west coast hip hop but Kurupt is HIGHLY underrated.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Too much gangster crap in this thread man...

As Phife from ATCQ said...

Ni**az sound like Das EFX
If it ain't Das EFX, then they sounding like Meth
You might as well do Megadeth
Yo, punk MC's better save your freaking breath

Anyway, hmmmmm most underrated.

Myka Nyne ( from Freestyle Fellowship) This video is a freestyle he did but check any of his stuff, especially the stuff in Haiku D'Etat & Freestyle fellowship

Aceyalone (Also Freestyle Fellowship)

Gift of Gab

And people have mentioned several others like Sage Francis & Busdriver (as well as most other project blowed artists)

Are we going for purely skills on the mic, lyrics or both?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

To much gangster crap? Theres a ton of collegy back pack stuff as well lol. Most underrated means who should of gotten big in the genre they were or are in. I've heard a bunch of people name a bunch of back pack rappers who are HUGE in the genre they are in. And that's all they will be is underground in that genre. That's as big as they can get. Like lupe...that's as big as a guy in that genre can get. They end up confusing the public masses. Now guys like rugged man...cormega...these are gutter MC's from a time when that was BIG but way worse MC's held the spotlight. You have to take genre into account when talking UNDERRATED. Maybe if you want to talk best MC's who never sold a platinum or gold record you could say pharaoh monch...but in the genre monch is in...he is huge. I said cormega as my choice based on how HUGE NY/coc aine hip hop was and how much better he was than most MC's in genre and how much less recognition and sales he got.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by FloatingGhost

But that's hip-hop for you.... the best rappers don't ever become the most successful, popular, most widely recognised or most highly praised.

Most hip-hop (mainstream/gangster stuff) is just crap, much like most music is.
But there are plenty of artists who deserve more recognition and deserve to be heard by any fan of the genre and who will never be.... I think it's a tough question really.

Not best, most lyrical, best flow, quickest or whatever... but most underrated.

There are reasons why artists are underrated and not being well known and not being mainstream is pretty much the number one reason.

I've listened to rap since the 80's and absolutely love Hip-Hop.... but intelligent, artistic and interesting Hip-Hop.

It's purely subjective man, there's no wrong or right answer but for me personally, I just don't like gangster stuff... I did I guess in my teens for a while but it's like anything, you change, grow and develop different tastes.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

What do you mean that's hip hop to me? I never said anything was or wasn't hip hop to anyone including myself. Gave my opinion of most underrated and how I thought most underrated should be defined. I understand if you wanna make a little speech against the mainstream, but don't do it at my expense. I never said anything about what was better or gangster or whatever. I wouldn't call mainstream rap gangster now anyhow, I'd call it pop.
edit on 10-10-2011 by FloatingGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FloatingGhost

What do you mean that's hip hop to me? I never said anything was or wasn't hip hop to anyone including myself.

I didn't say to you.... i said "that's hip-hop for you" It's a saying... like after someone gets assaulted by police you say "Well that's the cops for you" or when someone gets really drunk and hallucinates on absinth you'd say "Well that's absinth for you"

It means essentially.... "well that's the way it goes" or "Well that's to be expected"

I can see this is pointless anyway, I wasn't having a dig at you or doing anything at your expense, merely stating my opinion on the genre.

If you take it personally, up to you.... if you don't know sayings like the one I said, not my problem.
Don't misunderstand or just plain not understand what I write and then give me grief for it.

So cheers, thanks, good luck

edit on 11/10/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Mainstream rap is far from "gangsta" these days. It consists of suburban rappers in skinny jeans spitting over lady gaga style beats. The lyrics are usually about girls, not killing, robbing, or anything remotely "gangsta".

I don't know why it still has that perception.
edit on 10/12/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by NadaCambia

Yeah Stoupe left hiphop and teamed up with some girl. Not a fan of the singing but the beats are still good

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Elzhi for sure.

However, Talib Kweli wouldn't definitely fall into this cateogory.

Also for me Little Brother are the most underrated group around.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Underrated is Atmosphere, Grieves, Eyedea or even Aesop Rock that's where it's at!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join